A.T. Still University Kirksville (ATSU-KCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think today went well. Where my other 1/30ers at?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Really bad weather so don't know if some interviewee might reschedule

People keep saying apartments fill up fast here and someone told me to go check them out before March. However, the school site said their list won't be out until early March. So which am I supposed to listen to?

So I called last week and asked about my status. I was told that I'm accepted, but conditional upon more seats opening up (so wait-listed?). Does anybody know if doing a letter of intent would improve my chances here?

So I called last week and asked about my status. I was told that I'm accepted, but conditional upon more seats opening up (so wait-listed?). Does anybody know if doing a letter of intent would improve my chances here?

So no one even called you to tell you? When did you interview?

So no one even called you to tell you? When did you interview?
I interviewed on 12/17/14. It's been nuts. I've basically called at the 3, 5, and 7 week mark. Last week was the first week I got a remotely concrete answer.

I interviewed on 12/17/14. It's been nuts. I've basically called at the 3, 5, and 7 week mark. Last week was the first week I got a remotely concrete answer.

That really sucks. BUT, being accepted is great news! Congrats!

That really sucks. BUT, being accepted is great news! Congrats!
Well, I'm not really accepted until enough seats open up, and I have no idea where I am in that mix. My issue is I have to move a family across multiple states. I can't afford to do that twice. So if their call comes too late (after I've moved), I may not be able to go forward.

So anybody know if a letter of intent would potentially produce a quicker response?

Well, I'm not really accepted until enough seats open up, and I have no idea where I am in that mix. My issue is I have to move a family across multiple states. I can't afford to do that twice. So if their call comes too late (after I've moved), I may not be able to go forward.

So anybody know if a letter of intent would potentially produce a quicker response?
In past threads it seems you'll get a seat once those from people who decline acceptances open up. For example, I'm declining my acceptance so someone on the accepted pending seat list would get bumped up. It looks like movement on the list is pretty good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I am an interviewee from the 1/15 date. I called on Friday of last week to check the status of my application. The woman who answered the phone asked me to stay on hold for a minute, then came back and told me that I should definitely hear by the end of this current week. Needless to say, I'm pretty on edge. Anyone know what that may mean? I'm wondering if that's an estimate of when the mail should arrive (rejection) or when one of the admissions staff will have time to give me a call of acceptance.

I was told by admissions that the deposit deadline in April will create a ton of movement, so it seems in your case if you don't hear before then, April would probably be the latest date you would receive your official acceptance.

I was told by admissions that the deposit deadline in April will create a ton of movement, so it seems in your case if you don't hear before then, April would probably be the latest date you would receive your official acceptance.
Sounds good. When I spoke to the gal last week, she said Friday was another such "Deposit Day," so I might get good news soon. I have an acceptance elsewhere and an interview someplace else, but KCOM is where we really want to be. So hoping this works out.

Thanks for the replies.

Hey guys, I am an interviewee from the 1/15 date. I called on Friday of last week to check the status of my application. The woman who answered the phone asked me to stay on hold for a minute, then came back and told me that I should definitely hear by the end of this current week. Needless to say, I'm pretty on edge. Anyone know what that may mean? I'm wondering if that's an estimate of when the mail should arrive (rejection) or when one of the admissions staff will have time to give me a call of acceptance.

It may just be because the end of this week will be the 3 week mark.

Reactions: 1 user
Yup same, I was told the wait list is very fluid

If it helps the admissions lady who spoke to me on my interview day (Friday 1/30) said that deposits are due this Tuesday or Wednesday and there will probably be some spots opening up after that. Hopefully that means you'll hear good news later this week.

Phone call came in today! I interview 2/6! Hope all goes well for everyone out there!

People keep saying apartments fill up fast here and someone told me to go check them out before March. However, the school site said their list won't be out until early March. So which am I supposed to listen to?

I have heard similar things. I did some research right after I was accepted (early November) and signed a lease in early December. That was pretty early but I wanted to get that logistical item squared away early as it is a 1400 mile move for me and I have quite a number of other things to sort out. I would think at this stage of the game it would definitely not be too early to start looking. There were, from my looking, quite a number of places ready to start signing leases. It wouldn't hurt to at least check out some of the big property management firms and make some calls IMO. Also, if you have been accepted and are in the KCOM 2019 FB group you could also ask the opinion of some current students, as they would likely have a better feel for things in Kirksville.

Can any current students @coolingglasses , @abolt18 et al, or student who interviewed and noticed fill me in on if there if are any on-campus eating options for days students do not have the time/feel like going home for lunch or packing one? I know on interview day we had bag lunches in a common area with tables, but I do not recall seeing any sort of food-vending establishment. I do not see any mention of it on ATSU's website either. This is something I *should* have noticed on interview day but evidently did not. Thanks!

A lot of people walk over to the hospital for food. It is satisfactory, and if you wish, you can walk through the tunnel and get there without even going outside. Many bring lunch and put it in the fridge in the commons. The vending machines are weak. Personally I go home for lunch every day, as it's really only a mile.

Reactions: 1 users
If any of you are on WL you're most likely going to be given the chance to matriculate. Just hang in there!

my admissions interviewer really stressed that waitlist movement is abundant.

A lot of people walk over to the hospital for food. It is satisfactory, and if you wish, you can walk through the tunnel and get there without even going outside. Many bring lunch and put it in the fridge in the commons. The vending machines are weak. Personally I go home for lunch every day, as it's really only a mile.
Yeah they caf is fine in a pinch. And it's usually pretty cheap.

The main downside is that the hours are a little short

Places do tend to fill up early. Is the "list" a list/review of off-campus housing options? iirc the housing committee is a newer thing, so it makes sense that they might not have this kind of list out yet. I would start the search on your own and refer to the list when it comes out if you haven't found a place yet.

if you're talking about school-supplied student housing, that does fill up in a hurry and you shouldn't hesitate to fill out the application form when they send it.

Last edited:
Yeah they caf is fine in a pinch. And it's usually pretty cheap.

The main downside is that the hours are a little short

Places do tend to fill up early. Is the "list" a list/review of off-campus housing options? iirc the housing committee is a newer thing, so it makes sense that they might not have this kind of list out yet. I would start the search on your own and refer to the list when it comes out if you haven't found a place yet.

if you're talking about school-supplied student housing, that does fill up in a hurry and you shouldn't hesitate to fill out the application form when they send it.

Yeah I've been looking around and will be heading down to Kirksville soon. Seems like anything decent is filling up quick although there are plenty left. I'm looking for apartments, off campus. That list they make up in March isn't going to be long haha

I just got an acceptance email!!!!

I am on the accepted pending seat list, so hopefully that means I'll be able to attend this upcoming July. But either way, I'm in!!!! I've been checking this site (specifically this forum) religiously since my interview, thanks for all the information and reassurance you guys have provided.

Reactions: 6 users
ACCEPTED! (pending a seat as well) but soooo grateful!!! My first acceptance! God is so good!

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted pending a seat:) guaranteed 2016 if no seat opens up! OVER THE MOON RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!! This is my second cycle and I have been PRAYING everyday for this day. SO BLESSED <3

Reactions: 8 users
ACCEPTED! (pending a seat as well) but soooo grateful!!! My first acceptance! God is so good!

Accepted pending a seat:) guaranteed 2016 if no seat opens up! OVER THE MOON RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!! This is my second cycle and I have been PRAYING everyday for this day. SO BLESSED <3

congrats guys!

I was accepted mid December and am looking in finalizing housing/apartment options now. I looking for find one or several others interested in sharing a house or perhaps apartment to save on rent. I figured I'd share a little bit about myself as this may be helpful in determining roommate situations.

Super into local grown food, but not dogmatic about it. I'll be cooking a lot of my own food and visiting farmers.

Subject Strengths: I was an Anatomy and Physiology supplemental instructor as a post-bacc. I'll probably be quite helpful if anatomy is something that you struggle with: I tend to see the world in terms of flexion intolerant backs and scapular winging.

Medical Interests: Rather passionate about the unique aspects of Osteopathic medicine such as OMT and body/mind/spirit. Looking to get involved in OMM beyond the minimal requirements . Psychiatry is also an interest as I've taught a meditation class at a psychosocial rehab center.

I like to study without distractions, music, TV etc... and probably will study at home a decent portion of the time. I suppose being an only child has made it so I like living conditions were at times you don't notice you're living with others. Not at all adverse to fun (I've toured as a guitar player in a heavy metal band), but in the first two years I'll probably be content to just study, eat, meditate and exercise daily.

You might have better luck on your class FB page fyi. (not to say asking on here is a bad idea)

Last edited:
There's a seasonal farmer's market on Saturdays, sounds like you'll probably enjoy that (it was always too early for a late sleeper like myself :sleep:)

Accepted pending. Think we might get a seat

Accepted. Trying to decide between here and Nova. Also interviewing at PCOM this upcoming week. Loved the school, but not the biggest fan of Kirksville. Also, school starting in July makes the semester seem very long. Best of luck to all!

Accepted. Trying to decide between here and Nova. Also interviewing at PCOM this upcoming week. Loved the school, but not the biggest fan of Kirksville. Also, school starting in July makes the semester seem very long. Best of luck to all!
I was the same way, but you get used to it pretty fast. I initially wanted to go to NSU pretty bad, too.

The July start is a win/lose--the material is more spread out and you get more time with it, but having a shorter summer is a huge bummer. Fall break does break things up nicely.

What made you change your mind about Nova? One of the considerations on my list is that I can see myself practicing in Florida. I don't foresee me being in practice in Kirksville. I created a thread to help me decide... is there anything you think I'm not considering (or something that I'm considering that is false about either school... assuming you can weight in for ATSU pros/cons): http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/atsu-kcom-vs-nova.1119844/#post-16159886. Thank you!

I was the same way, but you get used to it pretty fast. I initially wanted to go to NSU pretty bad, too.

The July start is a win/lose--the material is more spread out and you get more time with it, but having a shorter summer is a huge bummer. Fall break does break things up nicely.

Accepted pending this past saturday as well from my interview on 1/26. Excited!

Reactions: 3 users