A.T. Still University Kirksville (ATSU-KCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This has been addressed many times, the minimum is 32GB, and I havent heard one student say they have had a problem with storage. With 64 you will have even less to worry about.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do any current students suggest accepting the full loan amount offered? This is so much money! Also, when do applications for ATSU scholarships go out?
I would also be curious to hear responses to these questions :)

I would also be curious to hear responses to these questions :)
Depends on your needs. I have a family so I definitely take out the whole amount. No idea about scholarships. Pretty sure there are chances to apply, I just was too lazy to fill out the applications. :(

I remember contacting the school months ago about the scholarships listed on their website if that is what you are referring to. They said all students are automatically considered for the applications depending on eligibility (some depend on your home state) so no need to fill out applications.

I remember contacting the school months ago about the scholarships listed on their website if that is what you are referring to. They said all students are automatically considered for the applications depending on eligibility (some depend on your home state) so no need to fill out applications.
I'm pretty certain you have to submit AN application that gets you considered for all the scholarhsips. One application covers them all.

I'm pretty certain you have to submit AN application that gets you considered for all the scholarhsips. One application covers them all.

You are correct, I had to double check the old email. Just one application for all KCOM scholarships you are eligible for.

"Every fall an Institutional Scholarship Application is sent to all KCOM DO students. The blanket application will cover multiple scholarships, and you will be considered for every scholarship that you qualify for. So, watch your ATSU e-mail account next November, or so. If you haven't received an application by winter break, give us a call or send me an e-mail." Financial Services

Do any current students suggest accepting the full loan amount offered? This is so much money! Also, when do applications for ATSU scholarships go out?

I dunno about scholarships but I don't take out the full amount. I pay a lot for rent (700+ for a really nice place), live alone, travel for every break (to east and west coast), and don't skimp on eating out or groceries and i get by on about 8000 a semester (outside of the mandatory fees, which puts me at about 65000 a year). I think if i was renting for less and acting more fiscally responsible, I could get by on 7000 a semester, but i like the way i live :).

I am stuck with this 2nd essay topic "What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to KCOM?"

Can anyone here kind enough to help me or take a look at my writing? Thanks:)

Any current/former students have opinions on transportation in Kirksville? I have a Hyundai Accent hatchback right now and I live in Arizona. Would driving conditions warrant something a bit more durable like a truck or bigger car, or would my car pan out? I’ve been to Kirksville twice but have only seen it in the summertime and weather was great. I also deferred til next year so I have time to worry and occupy myself with stuff until I start (haha).

Reactions: 1 user
Any current/former students have opinions on transportation in Kirksville? I have a Hyundai Accent hatchback right now and I live in Arizona. Would driving conditions warrant something a bit more durable like a truck or bigger car, or would my car pan out? I’ve been to Kirksville twice but have only seen it in the summertime and weather was great. I also deferred til next year so I have time to worry and occupy myself with stuff until I start (haha).
From what I've been hearing in terms of past students- when there is freezing rain, it's basically black ice everywhere and places shut down. It's kind of bizarre that ATSU doesn't always cancel school when public school is cancelled due to weather conditions. I think as long as you have good snow tires, you will be fine because when there is black ice, everyone is going to be sliding. Also, as long as you live "in town" you won't need to worry about plowing snow with your own truck :D (This coming from a fellow Arizonian).

Members don't see this ad :)
Dang - Arizona represent right here. I'm still here in Tucson. Will be departing this week to move out there.

From everything I can tell, there's no reason a truck should be necessary.

Did you guys get the white coat ceremony invitation? lift-off in T minus 25 days???

Did you guys get the white coat ceremony invitation? lift-off in T minus 25 days???

Yeah, my parents called me to tell me that one came to their address. I am in Kirksville already though so I did not see it. It isn't something we need to bring with us is it?

Yeah, my parents called me to tell me that one came to their address. I am in Kirksville already though so I did not see it. It isn't something we need to bring with us is it?

Not to the white coat ceremony- but they've been sending out a lot of emails about RSVP'ing for orientation and taking professional pictures on July 6th.

Not to the white coat ceremony- but they've been sending out a lot of emails about RSVP'ing for orientation and taking professional pictures on July 6th.

Yeah, I have gotten those, email isn't an issue. It is just snail mail that they are sending to my old physical address. Hopefully there will be some way to update that so any snail mail comes here.

Aghhhh your avatar!!!!!

haha- I like yours too :eek: - and for the record I brushed my cat's teeth with human intended tooth paste when I was a teenager and the image is spot on minus the gagging and hissing.

haha- I like yours too :eek: - and for the record I brushed my cat's teeth with human intended tooth paste when I was a teenager and the image is spot on minus the gagging and hissing.

I wonder why they react like that! Is it the minty flavor that just blows their mind?

I wonder why they react like that! Is it the minty flavor that just blows their mind?

Usually, animals with very keen senses of smell are seriously put off by mint due to how strong a scent it is. This is why mint can work as a deterrent to rodents. Mint smells and tastes strong to humans, imagine what it is like for an animal with 100-10,000x a humans sense of smell:eek:.

Usually, animals with very keen senses of smell are seriously put off by mint due to how strong a scent it is. This is why mint can work as a deterrent to rodents. Mint smells and tastes strong to humans, imagine what it is like for an animal with 100-10,000x a humans sense of smell:eek:.

:eek:<--------- that's the face they make! Learn something new every day.

Can confirm. Have been told by friends who are exterminators that peppermint is the deterrent of choice for getting rid of rodents using no-kill means.

Fascinating. Why does my dog love mint then??? Also, I brush his teeth but he seems to enjoy it, possibly due to the poultry flavored toothpaste... Those cat faces tho lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone ever played at maverick paintball? Wondering if its a good place to play at or if any students here play paintball?

Do most students use the apps required by the atsu such as notability and icatcher? They seem easy to use, but I was just thinking about using onenote and concept maps instead.

Do most students use the apps required by the atsu such as notability and icatcher? They seem easy to use, but I was just thinking about using onenote and concept maps instead.
Use whatever you want, though I find both those apps to be fantastic.

This article was written on 09/14/2014 and even still, some of the information is dated. For example, it says OneNote cannot record voice but it now can.
http://www.macworld.com/article/2599838/the-best-apps-for-taking-notes.html

TL;DR - If you only use Mac devices, use Evernote. If you use Windows devices as well, use OneNote (with SkyDrive).

Hey all. Been awhile posting. Got into KCOM but was deferred until next summer. I'll be over at the other thread for 2015-2016 to help out all the newbies applying. Looking forward to seeing everyone next year!

I sent my secondary in early July. Haven't heard anything after. It has been over than 2 month now. Do they silently reject people before interview?

Just finishing first year here so ask any questions you'd like. I'll write a big comprehensive post in a few weeks that addresses a lot of the common questions. Feel free to ask questions on here or PM me. I know a few of my classmates also monitor this page and will likely be along to answer questions also.

What is the interview like at KCOM, and do you know where to find the statistics on how many people KCOM interviews vs how many of the interviewees are accepted? I just got an interview invite!

What is the interview like at KCOM, and do you know where to find the statistics on how many people KCOM interviews vs how many of the interviewees are accepted? I just got an interview invite!
The interview was really relaxed. You interview with 3 separate people but all of mine were very nice. Just be yourself and you will have nothing to worry about. As for number of people accepted I am not sure sorry

Can we expect some II waitlist movement after the new year?