A.T. Still University Kirksville (ATSU-KCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dont you think its absolutely silly for us to have to do that though when our primary application is in front of them too?

By the same logic, it's silly for them to ask for this information on the secondary in the first place haha

Members don't see this ad.

Is everyone else digging to find their old SAT scores? It says "unofficial" so im hoping I can just put the overall score, which I somehow remember, and not put the individual subject scores which I forgot long ago. Thoughts anyone?

Is everyone else digging to find their old SAT scores? It says "unofficial" so im hoping I can just put the overall score, which I somehow remember, and not put the individual subject scores which I forgot long ago. Thoughts anyone?

I went and found mine on the CollegeBoard website. It only took a few minutes to reset my password. It was a surprise to see how long ago I sat for that damn test... ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I plan on putting my four most important clinical experiences also. Should we just copy what we have in our AACOMAS app?
Last year I did not put my SAT scores in, and I copied and pasted from AACOMAS. I interviewed and was accepted...I think you guys will be fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Last year I did not put my SAT scores in, and I copied and pasted from AACOMAS. I interviewed and was accepted...I think you guys will be fine.
Haha you make it sound so easy! Thanks for your help, I figured SAT scores were silly.

collegeboard website is loading very slowly. can anyone see if it works for them. i'm just trying to see my score

I've just finished 2nd year here at KCOM and am taking boards in the next couple weeks. I'll be around. If you have any questions feel free to tag me. If you feel those questions are more "specific" feel free to PM me. I'll to my best to answer. Also, I've written plenty of long, detailed posts in last year's thread. Feel free to check that one out. Good luck with the application cycle everyone! KCOM has been a great school for me and my family. I look forward to starting rotations here in just over a month.
what would you say KCOM values most about prospective students

what would you say KCOM values most about prospective students
Ok my last answer was sarcastic, my apologies. Real talk time, secodary questions are open ended and can seem rediculous, it makes them difficult to answer (its meant to be that way). What they should do is make you think about yourself, what DO YOU bring to KCOM? Be honest and thoughtful and you should be fine.

These are the types of questions you don't want our help on (maybe editing and checking for fluidity), because it's really about you. If we answer it for you, then its not about you.

So don't worry about what KCOM values, think about what values you have, and frame it so that KCOM WANTS those values.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What's KCOM's focus? Primary care? SOMA and KUCMB are huge on community service and working with the underserved. Is there something like that KCOM is big on? The mission statement hints upon leadership and research. I'm asking bc I'm just wondering if I'd be a good fit.

What's KCOM's focus? Primary care? SOMA and KUCMB are huge on community service and working with the underserved. Is there something like that KCOM is big on? The mission statement hints upon leadership and research. I'm asking bc I'm just wondering if I'd be a good fit.

Service does go a long way. We go to schools/clinics to help during the school year to do health exams and stuff. I think if you have volunteering experience I'd flaunt it. Also, the preceptorship you do for 2 weeks also implies rural medicine as being something that is smiled upon. Not that KCOM is pushing family care like crazy like SOMA is. I told my interviewer flat out that I wanted to be a general surgeon and didn't see myself doing family medicine and I got accepted 2 weeks later. So it can't be super important... maybe?

Reactions: 1 users
Service does go a long way. We go to schools/clinics to help during the school year to do health exams and stuff. I think if you have volunteering experience I'd flaunt it. Also, the preceptorship you do for 2 weeks also implies rural medicine as being something that is smiled upon. Not that KCOM is pushing family care like crazy like SOMA is. I told my interviewer flat out that I wanted to be a general surgeon and didn't see myself doing family medicine and I got accepted 2 weeks later. So it can't be super important... maybe?

Well I like to teach people so I'm attempting to become a volunteer in my hometown in which I will tutor kids in Nerd Subjects like calc, algebra, and chemistry.

Would that be good? I put it down in the secondary as I started the process AFTER I submitted my primary.

Great, thanks! I have LOTS of volunteer experience that I'll definitely be flaunting!

Well I like to teach people so I'm attempting to become a volunteer in my hometown in which I will tutor kids in Nerd Subjects like calc, algebra, and chemistry.

Would that be good? I put it down in the secondary as I started the process AFTER I submitted my primary.
Any volunteering is good. Health-related volunteering does trump other forms I would assume. However, that doesn't mean it isn't good to list it. When I applied I had tutoring experience, volunteering in an ER room, religious volunteering, etc. List whatever things were important to you where you gave of yourself without being compensated. That is what I would consider volunteering.

Just getting this out there too: KCOM usually sends ii's out starting the end of July. Last year we saw them as early as July 29th. Years prior it was even earlier than that. However, they sometimes take a really long time to send ii's to some for who knows why. A lot of you can find helpful information or answers to your questions by reading the first few pages on last year's thread here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...tsu-kcom-discussion-thread-2014-2015.1069725/

You started the process of attempting to become a tutor.. ? or you actually started tutoring after your primary? IF you haven't actually tutored yet, it doesn't count.

Does anyone know why they want your SAT scores in addition to your MCAT?

You started the process of attempting to become a tutor.. ? or you actually started tutoring after your primary? IF you haven't actually tutored yet, it doesn't count.

Lol. All those secondaries questions want to know is what your plans and current activities are. I obviously didn't put that I've started tutoring when I haven't. I stated it in the secondary just as I stated it here. This is the last time to communicate with your school so it's probably a good idea to tell them what you plan to do during the application cycle. Large volunteer organizations have a process that you have to go through in order to volunteer. So I literally put "undergoing process to become "insert volunteer organization name" tutor volunteer." That way they know that I will soon start to be a tutor but I haven't started yet.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why they want your SAT scores in addition to your MCAT?

I've heard that some schools want these to gauge how good you are at standardized tests in general. So they want your past major standardized tests as well.

I've heard that some schools want these to gauge how good you are at standardized tests in general. So they want your past major standardized tests as well.

I did awful on the ACT so it can't mean very much.

I did awful on the ACT so it can't mean very much.

Eh, well thats the only reason I can think of of why they want that on there. Would you know why they ask for it?

Nobody knows why they want your SAT or ACT score.

If a school wants you to stop, drop, and roll for no damn reason, you do it. If they want you to rub your belly, and pat your head while standing on one foot, you do it.

Why?

Because they can.

Reactions: 1 users

If a school wants you to stop, drop, and roll for no damn reason, you do it. If they want you to rub your belly, and pat your head while standing on one foot, you do it.

Why?

Because they can.

I would do neither of those things.

It's one of those insignificant things where if two applicants look exactly the same maybe they'll add one more factor to look at to tip the scale for who will be accepted? I'd say its way down the list of whatever they're looking for. Very insignificant.

Why?

Because they can.
Anyone who has ever done MMI would totally agree with you about that. I feel like a clown during MMI.

That's no big deal. I'm sure there are plenty of other applicants who would gladly do so to take your spot and want this more than you probably do (if given the opportunity of course).

Ain't no shame in your game shorty. Do yo' thannnggg.

That's no big deal. I'm sure there are plenty of other applicants who would gladly do so to take your spot and want this more than you probably do (if given the opportunity of course).

Ain't no shame in your game shorty. Do yo' thannnggg.

Lol If medical schools started making people do acrobatics to gain an acceptance, it would be a strange world indeed.

lol I don't get how a test that we took 5 years ago is predicative of any sort of academic success/potential a person has. My best friend scored a 1660/2400 on his SAT's only to get a 32 on the MCAT.

lol I don't get how a test that we took 5 years ago is predicative of any sort of academic success/potential a person has. My best friend scored a 1660/2400 on his SAT's only to get a 32 on the MCAT.

Yea... idk. Just what I've heard. Who knows if there is any truth to it. Probably not as its High School.

Hey guys/gals,

I have a question regarding status for the AT Still secondary. It says that my materials have been processed but my "Date Most Recent MCAT Taken:
Not yet received". What do I do? I took my MCAT back late last year (like October) and my scores have been verified and the official score reports are in my app.
Anybody else submit their secondary and check the status on materials and stuff so far?

Hey guys/gals,

I have a question regarding status for the AT Still secondary. It says that my materials have been processed but my "Date Most Recent MCAT Taken:
Not yet received". What do I do? I took my MCAT back late last year (like October) and my scores have been verified and the official score reports are in my app.
Anybody else submit their secondary and check the status on materials and stuff so far?
If you had your MCAT score already loaded with ACOMAS I believe it should come with your primary. I've heard at some schools they have to "download" primary applications and they can send you secondaries without even having downloaded or looked at primaries yet (not sure if this is KCOM or not). If anything, call admissions and see what they think and let us know :p

if you guys have questions that you can't get answered here or their website ask one of these
http://www.atsu.edu/kcom/admissions/preparing_do_admission/ambassadors.htm

they take like 1-2 days to respond. i asked one what kind of community service the school does. guy told me there's a "big wealth distribution gap." students can go help with health screenings and fairs

Can we use some the responses from AT-SOMA for the KCOM essays? I got secondaries from both schools and a few prompts are the same

Can we use some the responses from AT-SOMA for the KCOM essays? I got secondaries from both schools and a few prompts are the same
The only prompt that is similar is about shadowing experience?
Everything else is pretty significantly different.

Just received an e-mail stating my secondary was processed but when I logged on it still says my MCAT is not received. Grrrr. I e-mailed admissions to let them know that AACOMAS had updated my app with my scores last week. Hopefully it's a simple matter of the school re-downloading my app and not another AACOMAS hang up.

Just received an e-mail stating my secondary was processed but when I logged on it still says my MCAT is not received. Grrrr. I e-mailed admissions to let them know that AACOMAS had updated my app with my scores last week. Hopefully it's a simple matter of the school re-downloading my app and not another AACOMAS hang up.

I think that happens to everyone it takes a week or two for the MCAT scores to update in the portal if I remember correctly.

Just got an email confirming receipt of my secondary. According to the portal they haven't received my letters of recommendation yet but I got an email from Angela saying that they are currently printing letters sent through Interfolio.

Just got an email confirming receipt of my secondary. According to the portal they haven't received my letters of recommendation yet but I got an email from Angela saying that they are currently printing letters sent through Interfolio.

+1