A.T. Still University Kirksville (ATSU-KCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondary submitted today :)

Members don't see this ad.

Guess who has two thumbs and just got an II?! This guy!!! 3.67/3.57 c/sGPA 506 MCAT complete 7/16

Reactions: 1 users
II by email last night about 9:30 Mountain time

Members don't see this ad :)
II for 10/12 and was complete 7-9!

Reactions: 2 users
II! Yay! This is awesome. I'm crazy excited!!! Good luck to everybody else still waitin' to hear back.

Reactions: 2 users
Ok but seriously why are people who were complete later getting correspondence while people who were completed before arent.
I've wondered this also (with other schools like LECOM) and I've concluded that the schools may not care who was done first, they just pick who they want despite when they are complete.

I got an II a few days ago and I was complete really early. SDN isn't real life you guys! chill out! Y'all will get something!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just submitted the secondary! My family practice doc went here and he loved it

I've wondered this also (with other schools like LECOM) and I've concluded that the schools may not care who was done first, they just pick who they want despite when they are complete.

In before someone posts "I was complete September 16th, 2015, and just got an II!" while we are just sitting here like :whistle:

I did as well. Figured it was best to get it done rather than waiting around all day. Guess I'll see you there.
Perfect! I will be there the day before to the day after too! Figured it would be nice to explore a little!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! I'll be interviewing here on September 28! Will anyone else be there that day??

Also, I scheduled my interview for 11:45AM, yet the interview schedule itself states that all interviews are 30 minutes in length, and says they end at noon... any idea what's up with this???

Hey guys! I'll be interviewing here on September 28! Will anyone else be there that day??

Also, I scheduled my interview for 11:45AM, yet the interview schedule itself states that all interviews are 30 minutes in length, and says they end at noon... any idea what's up with this???

I am! But I signed up for the morning interview at 8:45.

I am! But I signed up for the morning interview at 8:45.
Oh yay! How are you getting to Kirksville? I'm thinking about taking the charter plane instead of driving from one of the many airports, but haven't finalized travel plans just yet.

Oh yay! How are you getting to Kirksville? I'm thinking about taking the charter plane instead of driving from one of the many airports, but haven't finalized travel plans just yet.

I'm flying into St. Louis the weekend before because I have a lot of family in that area so I want to spend some time with them. I'm just gonna drive up to Kirksville from there the day before the interview. Mini road trip! :D

II! Complete 07/17, 502, GPA 3.8. Interview isn't until mid October but I love this school and would be pumped if I get accepted.

II! Complete 07/17, 502, GPA 3.8. Interview isn't until mid October but I love this school and would be pumped if I get accepted.

Grats!

Hmm, I'm starting to get actually worried now since I was complete on 6/29

There are two shifts of interviews. One starts at 845 one starts at 1145. The 845 one ends at like 2pm the 1145 one ends at 5 pm. You aren't signing up for a specific interview time. You are signing up for an interview group. I was confused about the same thing. I had to reschedule mine to the 845.

If you scroll down in the "interview day" page you will see the itinerary for the later group

Any tips from current students on interviewing? How you prepared, maybe some topics that were discussed, or even things you wished you did better? I like the school a lot and am slightly nervous that I'll look a little too eager lol. Anything helps though, thanks!

Was mid October the first available interview date?

Was mid October the first available interview date?
October 16th was the earliest available date, there was only one other day in October about a week later. I'm sure things probably open up as students schedule change but it's interesting how far back the dates are.

There are two shifts of interviews. One starts at 845 one starts at 1145. The 845 one ends at like 2pm the 1145 one ends at 5 pm. You aren't signing up for a specific interview time. You are signing up for an interview group. I was confused about the same thing. I had to reschedule mine to the 845.

If you scroll down in the "interview day" page you will see the itinerary for the later group

Thank you! I was confused about the schedule myself. I'm very glad I asked! I wonder how many students will be in the morning versus the afternoon group?

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere! For those of you interviewing, did you guys receive complete emails or just the "we have received your secondary and processed materials on file"? Portal says they have everything but I never received a complete email.

Any tips from current students on interviewing? How you prepared, maybe some topics that were discussed, or even things you wished you did better? I like the school a lot and am slightly nervous that I'll look a little too eager lol. Anything helps though, thanks!

I'm not a "current" student, but I was accepted this spring and deferred to next July 2016 entering class.

My interview experience was an AWESOME one. Very laid back and relaxing, nothing too high pressure as far as questions go. The faculty was nice and so were the admissions personnel. This was the polar opposite of my interview with ATSU-SOMA. KCOM seemed to be interested in me as a person and not just my academic record, although they addressed some academic questions it wasn’t the entire point of my interview.

I prepared the week of by reading a list of like 100 interview questions I found online (just google ‘medical school interview questions’ and I believe it is the first PDF from the University of Colorado). I went over them all in my head so I had some preparation for a variety of question types. It really isn’t high stress so don’t worry about the specifics of topics too much, just be aware of potential questions and do your best to convey who you are as a person as well as your competency to be a student/physician. SOMA was a disaster for me and I left defeated. The MMI and overall format didn’t allow me to convey who I am, which is important because my MCAT was on the lower end. All the SOMA faculty cared about in interview was my MCAT. They asked a bizarre question too that was no way indicative of who I am or my competency. But KCOM was different, a simple format which made it easy to converse with faculty and staff. They obviously saw something in my academics and wanted to see who I am (my characteristics, integrity, communication, etc), which is what an interview should be for (go figure!).

In the end, don’t stress! KCOM is a great school that really wants students or potential students to succeed. The excellent family environment shows they care very much for the students. So if you make it for an interview, just know they saw something in you and want to know you. If you want to do more research or discuss what they might see in your application, contact the school. I skyped with a student affairs/admissions staff person a few weeks before. She gave some input on my application as well as some things like what a typical KCOM student looks like and what qualities they possess, things fairly useful for interviewing.

I’m bummed I had to defer a year, but really excited to attend KCOM. I received my MPH from ATSU and went to Kirksville for graduation. I really liked the environment and facilities. The curriculum presentation at the interview sealed the deal for me.

Trying to figure out if I should apply here: 3.2 sGPA, 3.4 cGPA, 29 MCAT, plenty of clinical experience, volunteering, research, you name it. Illinois resident. What do you guys think?

Trying to figure out if I should apply here: 3.2 sGPA, 3.4 cGPA, 29 MCAT, plenty of clinical experience, volunteering, research, you name it. Illinois resident. What do you guys think?

Yea, definitely throw yourself into the pot.

Submitted my secondary on 7/20. Have not received and II yet :( Hopes are high though..
29 MCAT (retake; raised exam from 25 MCAT)
3.79cGPA
3.67sGPA
Chemistry Degree

Last edited:
Fourth year KCOM student here. Happy to answer any questions about the school, area, rotations, etc.

Submitted my secondary on 7/20. Have not received and II yet :( Hopes are high though..
29 MCAT (retake; raised exam from 25 MCAT)
3.79cGPA
3.67sGPA
Chemistry Degree
Similar stats and nothing for me here yet either.

Rejected via mail. Whatever.

That's weird. I have nearly the same stats too. Stats were likely not the cause for your rejection.

EDIT just a few hours later:

Just got a II..3.70cgpa/3.70sgpa, 25 (8/8/9) Nov. 2014 to 504 (27-28 on old scale, w/ breakdown of 128(11P)/124(7V)/126(9B)/126(9P+S) on June 2015. ECs are solid but nowhere near exceptional: health services management B.S graduate..part time EMT-B avg 25 hrs/week (300hrs, 1500 by matriculation), 160 hr quality and patient safety internship at major medical center, 40 hrs shadowing, 55 hrs volunteet tutor, 6 LORs, one being a committer letter..no D.O lor but should have a 7th LOR being D.O by late August.. Hope that helps. Not trying to scare you, but wasn't complete till August 3rd

Last edited:
I legitimately haven't heard squat from this school. No rejection, no II's. It's so bizarre.

II just now! Surprised to hear back from this school. Scheduled for the end of October.