A.T. Still University Kirksville (ATSU-KCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just canceled my interview here. Hope it goes to one of you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I am also interviewing October 9th. An admissions officer that visited my school recently told me that they don't start interviewing until next week. I have heard the interviews are all pretty easy-going. If any current students could offer some advice that would be great!

If they do it the same way they did last year, it will be 3 separate interviews. One science professor, one physician and one admissions officer. All 3, at least in my case, were very conversational interviews. The stress level was pretty low. Do make sure you know your application, strengths, weaknesses and why you want to be a physician and why specifically DO. Those things aren't specific to this interview, but rather things you should keep in mind for all interviews so you don't get hit with any curve-balls.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II last night ~12:45 EST. OOS but ATSU is one of my top choices and I am really excited.

Last edited:
Just withdrew my application! Hope my interview goes to one of you :)

Desperate to change my II to a date in October!!! Currently scheduled for Nov 13

Reactions: 1 user
Is there anyone who has interviewed already or current students that could give advice for the interview day? I understand it's tough to say what they'll specifically ask but what type of general questions are they big on? (e.g. why DO? why KCOM? OMM? and/or more personal experiences, secondary essays, etc.)

Is there anyone who has interviewed already or current students that could give advice for the interview day? I understand it's tough to say what they'll specifically ask but what type of general questions are they big on? (e.g. why DO? why KCOM? OMM? and/or more personal experiences, secondary essays, etc.)

All of the above that you mentioned came up in one form or another. All of those things actually came up at ALL of my interviews though. Those are all things that it is good to have a solid answer for for an interview at any school. I know at this stage of the game folks are stressed out about interviews, but really the best advice out there is know your answers to the big questions that you noted above and know your application and strengths and weaknesses. I would recommend for any interview doing a re-read of your personal statement and secondary essays the night before, especially your secondary essays. If you have any flaws in your application be able to address those if asked. Don't be that person that is sitting there during presentations and tours on interview day feverishly studying their application (yes there are people that do that). But really beyond those generalities there are no real specifics to give, it all depends on your interviewers. At KCOM, at least in years past there have been 3 separate interviews throughout the day as I mentioned a few posts above. The interviews were very conversational and fairly low stress.

All of the above that you mentioned came up in one form or another. All of those things actually came up at ALL of my interviews though. Those are all things that it is good to have a solid answer for for an interview at any school. I know at this stage of the game folks are stressed out about interviews, but really the best advice out there is know your answers to the big questions that you noted above and know your application and strengths and weaknesses. I would recommend for any interview doing a re-read of your personal statement and secondary essays the night before, especially your secondary essays. If you have any flaws in your application be able to address those if asked. Don't be that person that is sitting there during presentations and tours on interview day feverishly studying their application (yes there are people that do that). But really beyond those generalities there are no real specifics to give, it all depends on your interviewers. At KCOM, at least in years past there have been 3 separate interviews throughout the day as I mentioned a few posts above. The interviews were very conversational and fairly low stress.
Okay appreciate the help, thanks!

for those of you who have received II, when were you complete and when did you get the interview invite? i've been complete for a while. i'm wondering if this is a silent rejection.

for those of you who have received II, when were you complete and when did you get the interview invite? i've been complete for a while. i'm wondering if this is a silent rejection.
They don't send out silent rejections, you get a letter through snail mail if you're rejected. From what I found out, it takes 4-6 weeks for applications to be reviewed.

They don't send out silent rejections, you get a letter through snail mail if you're rejected. From what I found out, it takes 4-6 weeks for applications to be reviewed.
Dreamt I got accepted here last night. These 4-6 weeks of waiting before a potential interview (fingers crossed) or rejection will last a lifetime

Completed secondary 9/22, rejected for II 9/25. WOW. so quick!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also don't they send rejections via mail?

Can someone tell me what it means when most of my things say "Application in process"? It says that for my Evaluation I-II, MCAT, and Payment, but it says secondary received 9/**/2015

Does anybody know if people get IIs from the hold list, is it actually a form of postponed rejection?

Do you mine elaborating what the "hold list" is? I am unfamiliar with this.
Means they aren't interested in inviting you at present, but they aren't ready to discard you just yet either. It means your like their safety net if someone more competitive doesn't materialize.

Means they aren't interested in inviting you at present, but they aren't ready to discard you just yet either. It means your like their safety net if someone more competitive doesn't materialize.
Where would you see this status? And if you don't mind, when were you complete?

Edit: Sorry, you were not the one on the hold list. My mistake.

Where would you see this status? And if you don't mind, when were you complete?

Edit: Sorry, you were not the one on the hold list. My mistake.

I was complete early August for both SOMA and KCOM. 2-3 weeks later I received a hold letter by snail mail. Couple days ago recently I got a rejection letter by snail mail too from SOMA.

Yeah, I don't think the portals show any status updates after you are complete. I haven't heard anything from soma, but I got a II from KCOM ~ 6 weeks ago and my portal has not changed.

Has anyone had any experience with a student host. I requested one and my interview is next Friday and I haven't heard anything from the school about it. Should i assume I don't have a host or should I email? Any help much appreciated.

So I have literally not heard anything from kcom since I was marked complete in mid July should I call them?

Has anyone had any experience with a student host. I requested one and my interview is next Friday and I haven't heard anything from the school about it. Should i assume I don't have a host or should I email? Any help much appreciated.
I would email them. I am interviewing and staying with a student 10/11 and she emailed me a few weeks ago!

II! Very excited for this. Complete in late August

Last edited:
II! I absolutely love this school, can't wait to visit! Completed in August.

Scheduled my interview for October 30th! Flying into Kansas City on the 29th if anyone would like to split a rental car?

congrats to the IIs and those who interviewed on campus yesterday. You looked sharp ;) and for the record, if you have the option to stay with a student I would. I feel like it's easy to assume what stuff is like and the students here will tell you what it's really like. Plus... everyone in our school is seriously chill- we all are open and friends with each other.

Reactions: 1 users
Lord please let me get that interview call please please please

Oh... Ok :) Lord please let me get that email please please please

I'm flying into St. Louis tomorrow and driving to kirksville for my interview Monday - anyone have suggestions on where to go in Kirksville to watch football games (specifically eagles/redskins :))?

Had an original interview date on November 2 but was able to snag a an open spot when someone cancelled for this upcoming Monday, October 12 at 8:45am. Staying at the Days Inn for the night. Really excited to interview here! Anybody else interviewing that day? :)

Had an original interview date on November 2 but was able to snag a an open spot when someone cancelled for this upcoming Monday, October 12 at 8:45am. Staying at the Days Inn for the night. Really excited to interview here! Anybody else interviewing that day? :)
How does that work? Did you get notified that there was an opening for an earlier date?

I am interviewing that day too! If you are staying the night after the interview we should grab drinks or something!

How does that work? Did you get notified that there was an opening for an earlier date?

I've been stalking the calendar for an earlier opening. And I spoke with Angie James about cancellations and she was really helpful!

I am interviewing that day too! If you are staying the night after the interview we should grab drinks or something!
I'm only staying Sunday night so if you're around let me know! Send me a message. And good luck to you!

Just got the rejection letter. Pretty surprised. Statistically above average by a fair amount. Missouri kid. Whatevvvaaa andy t!!! You've got your reasons!!

Good luck to you all.

Just got the rejection letter. Pretty surprised. Statistically above average by a fair amount. Missouri kid. Whatevvvaaa andy t!!! You've got your reasons!!

Good luck to you all.

Was this before or after interview?