A.T. Still University Kirksville (ATSU-KCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just found out I was accepted and plan on matriculating! Interviewed 9/28 (afternoon group) and found out decision via phone call on Monday 10/19--contrary to what many had said when they call. Each of the three interviews were VERY different in terms of both questions asked and structure. Glad to see some others from my same interview group got accepted too.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
The lectures are recorded. They consist of the Powerpoint with audio. They also put the Powerpoint files and in most classes a written handout on Blackboard for you to download or print. The benefits of living in Kirksville are that the cost of living is extremely reasonable, most of the local people are quite friendly, and the crime rates are really low. I am very used to rural areas and am not a big fan of city life so Kirksville is a great match for me. The downside is that, while you have everything you need to live here, the area is wanting for great dining and if you are looking for big time shopping you may need to run down to Columbia (about 90 miles south). Overall, for me the benefits greatly outweigh the negatives. I would suggest when you come for your interview taking a drive around town and seeing if it is the sort of place you could see yourself living for at least 2 years.

Again thank you for the advice! I'm certainly looking forward to this interview and exploring the area as I hope to decide where I'm going following this interview. Do you believe that the prestige of this school really makes a difference? Also, is ultrasound being integrated in the teaching?

Reactions: 1 user
Again thank you for the advice! I'm certainly looking forward to this interview and exploring the area as I hope to decide where I'm going following this interview. Do you believe that the prestige of this school really makes a difference? Also, is ultrasound being integrated in the teaching?

Yes, ultrasound is integrated into the curriculum. In the first semester, the Clinical Ultrasound course has been following our Gross Anatomy course. So, like when we were doing upper limb, we were looking at the AC joint, shoulder, elbow and wrist in ultrasound, when we did lower limb in it was hip, knee and ankle, and with head and neck thus far we have done scans to the thyroid and carotid arteries etc. As far as prestige...it could be important that you have a big alumni base and the name recognition factor. The school is a known quantity by many program directors etc...It is conceivable that a PD could have two otherwise equal applicants, one from an old, well-established school, and one from a brand new school and pick the applicant from the established school rather than the new school because he/she is very familiar with the older school. So going to a well-established school will never hurt you as far as that, but going to a brand new school may or may not hurt you. So...prestige factor *could* make a difference, or it may not. In my opinion, it is better to go to a school that has a long, good history rather than one with no history at all...but opinions vary in that regard. The most important thing is finding a school that fits you where you think you can thrive in an area that you can see yourself living for a couple of years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, ultrasound is integrated into the curriculum. In the first semester, the Clinical Ultrasound course has been following our Gross Anatomy course. So, like when we were doing upper limb, we were looking at the AC joint, shoulder, elbow and wrist in ultrasound, when we did lower limb in it was hip, knee and ankle, and with head and neck thus far we have done scans to the thyroid and carotid arteries etc. As far as prestige...it could be important that you have a big alumni base and the name recognition factor. The school is a known quantity by many program directors etc...It is conceivable that a PD could have two otherwise equal applicants, one from an old, well-established school, and one from a brand new school and pick the applicant from the established school rather than the new school because he/she is very familiar with the older school. So going to a well-established school will never hurt you as far as that, but going to a brand new school may or may not hurt you. So...prestige factor *could* make a difference, or it may not. In my opinion, it is better to go to a school that has a long, good history rather than one with no history at all...but opinions vary in that regard. The most important thing is finding a school that fits you where you think you can thrive in an area that you can see yourself living for a couple of years.

Awesome that is really great to know they do ultrasound. I really am grateful for all of your insight!!

SERIOUS upgrades. If the city were maybe double the size (30K people) it would be soooo much better. At least it's temporary. Also, no idea about secondaries. Sorry. Best bet is to look at last year's thread or our last year's secondary prompt thread.

At least Kirksville has a Jimmy Johns--that will be a major luxury for me. I also understand there is a sushi restaurant on the north side of town? Ever been?

At least Kirksville has a Jimmy Johns--that will be a major luxury for me. I also understand there is a sushi restaurant on the north side of town? Ever been?
I'm a cooked fish kind of guy. No go on sushi. Also, the donut palace is my favorite place in Kirksville :)

Hahah I go to Jimmy Johns more than I would care to admit...

Hahah I go to Jimmy Johns more than I would care to admit...

It's okay, I've gotten to the point where I self identify with my usual order. I'm a #15 add sprouts & hot peppers.

Does anyone know if there is a Facebook page for the newly accepted students yet. I plan on matriculating and would like to get to know some of my fellow classmates before next July

There will be a Facebook page eventually. Ours last year came up around January if memory serves correctly.

Gotta vent... got a denial on II today. Beyond shocked. My grades are stellar for DO, strong letters and ECs, father is an alum and I'm from Kirksville.

Just... kinda without words why they would not offer me an interview.

Good luck to you guys, would have been kinda nice to return to Kirksville :(

Last edited:
Gotta vent... got a denial on II today. Beyond shocked. My grades are stellar for DO, strong letters and ECs, father is an alum and I'm from Kirksville.

Just... kinda without words why they would not offer me an interview.

Good luck to you guys, would have been kinda nice to return to Kirksville :(
Sorry to hear that when were you compLete and how did you find out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Somewhere
Sorry to hear that when were you compLete and how did you find out?

Somewhere around 9/22. They sent a letter. I read here previously that they send letters for denial. When I saw it I half-jokeningly told my wife they were denying me, but was in disbelief when I saw it for real.

It is what it is. I got an interview invite today to one of my top schools, so I balance, it's a win I suppose.

Admittedly I viewed KCOM as my safety school, but I would have gladly gone there. Kirksville is a fine place in my book. Guess KCOM had other ideas - I half wonder if my dad pissed off someone on the admissions committee...

Somewhere

Somewhere around 9/22. They sent a letter. I read here previously that they send letters for denial. When I saw it I half-jokeningly told my wife they were denying me, but was in disbelief when I saw it for real.

It is what it is. I got an interview invite today to one of my top schools, so I balance, it's a win I suppose.

Admittedly I viewed KCOM as my safety school, but I would have gladly gone there. Kirksville is a fine place in my book. Guess KCOM had other ideas - I half wonder if my dad pissed off someone on the admissions committee...

We'll that's good then congrats for getting another II. I was completed a week after you so I'm starting to think the rejection letter is coming my way...:(

Keep checking every day! My date was originally in December, new spots open up in the morning and sometimes in the afternoon :)
Not too much difference, but there's a Nov 13 spot available right now!

edit: oops, meant to quote the original. I'm new at this.

Wow thank you so much for your input! I really appreciate it! I'm certainly looking for a school where professors are available. Are the lectures recorded, and are presentations posted online? What would you say are the benefits/negatives of living in Kirksville?
AM508 pretty much covered it, but I'll just add that while lectures are recorded, 1) teachers don't often repeat questions asked in class and 2) they don't usually use on-screen pointing when they point out a structure. So if you rely on only watching recordings, this might impact you.

While I love the school and feel most of the teachers are great, I feel the teachers are still growing into their new'ish curriculum. They want you to have a qualitative understanding of things. For some of topics in earlier blocks though, it's tough to gain that level of understanding because you haven't been taught the mechanisms and pathways of a thing in the context of a system yet. I've had to rely on rote way more than I feel I should.

Kirksville is a nice town though. I come from a city of about 800-900k, so it was a nice change of pace. It's nice to leave anatomy lab at night and tell my wife I'll be home in 5 minutes, and actually be home in 3. The time savings on commute alone have been a huge boon. Dining here does suck, and even the places people rave about in neighboring towns I find to be rather... meh. It is a poor town, but I would never say it's unsafe. I can't think of a single area here that I'd be scared to walk through at midnight. It's a quiet town with few distractions, which is good, because you should be studying anyway. :)

Seems like they still have lots of II to give out.

AM508 pretty much covered it, but I'll just add that while lectures are recorded, 1) teachers don't often repeat questions asked in class and 2) they don't usually use on-screen pointing when they point out a structure. So if you rely on only watching recordings, this might impact you.

While I love the school and feel most of the teachers are great, I feel the teachers are still growing into their new'ish curriculum. They want you to have a qualitative understanding of things. For some of topics in earlier blocks though, it's tough to gain that level of understanding because you haven't been taught the mechanisms and pathways of a thing in the context of a system yet. I've had to rely on rote way more than I feel I should.

Kirksville is a nice town though. I come from a city of about 800-900k, so it was a nice change of pace. It's nice to leave anatomy lab at night and tell my wife I'll be home in 5 minutes, and actually be home in 3. The time savings on commute alone have been a huge boon. Dining here does suck, and even the places people rave about in neighboring towns I find to be rather... meh. It is a poor town, but I would never say it's unsafe. I can't think of a single area here that I'd be scared to walk through at midnight. It's a quiet town with few distractions, which is good, because you should be studying anyway. :)

Thank you for your input!! It's always nice to get other perspectives. I actually interviewed today and thought it did seem really nice and safe. I was a little underwhelmed by the anatomy lab, though. Do you see anything good/bad about the anatomy lab? Also, I was hoping the simulation labs would be more integrated, but the tour guides didn't really explain them well. Furthermore, how do you like the board-like exams? How many weeks do you have per block and how many weeks in between? The overall curriculum wasn't heavily discussed unfortunately.

Also--would like to mention that I ate at the Wooden Nickel downtown and I thought it was very good but like you said, there didn't seem to be much dining around.

Really excited to hear back from this school. I interviewed on 10/26... 2/3 interviews went spectacular..the other was good for the most part but did trip up on my first interview on one particular question. really hope that didn't blow it.

Thank you for your input!! It's always nice to get other perspectives. I actually interviewed today and thought it did seem really nice and safe. I was a little underwhelmed by the anatomy lab, though. Do you see anything good/bad about the anatomy lab? Also, I was hoping the simulation labs would be more integrated, but the tour guides didn't really explain them well. Furthermore, how do you like the board-like exams? How many weeks do you have per block and how many weeks in between? The overall curriculum wasn't heavily discussed unfortunately.

Also--would like to mention that I ate at the Wooden Nickel downtown and I thought it was very good but like you said, there didn't seem to be much dining around.

I had thought the same thing about the anatomy lab when I interviewed but when I actually started I realized they weren't bad at all. When you are up to your elbows in your dissection its unlikely you will notice the hallways being a little dated :laugh:. Aside from parts of that building being a little dated there is really no problem at all. I have never thought once, "gee if this lab was built last year I totally wouldn't have cut that ansa cervicalis" :p. Nah, it serves it purpose well. In my opinion, I wouldn't let that be the make or break factor.

We haven't done much with the simulator labs thus far in first year yet. But we really haven't done a lot of clinical medicine yet, it has been the basic sciences. I'll defer to my second colleagues for that topic as I am really not sure how they will factor in.

The blocks are about 3-4 weeks on average thus far. I like having all the material on one exam as opposed to separate class exams. I prefer that over having a bunch of single class exams. The curriculum is heavy on basic sciences first semester (anatomy, biochem, physiology, immunology, micro etc...) then moves to a systems style in second semester. I really have no substantive complaints about it so far.

Search my name in last year's thread for detailed reviews about the school, the sim labs especially.

Just an FYI for anyone lurking and curious about acceptances:

They do call you at the phone number you provided during your interview day but the time frame varies dramatically. I read last year's thread and got the impression they called within a week or two after your interview day--not the case at all! While this may be true for some, it is in no way a hard fast rule. I was very distressed after the second week post-interview went by without any call but finally received an acceptance call exactly THREE weeks later. I am unsure if others have waited this long or longer for an acceptance.

So if you find yourself in this position waiting an abnormal amount of time to hear back, do not be discouraged. Just wanted to put this out there to hopefully alleviate some worry.

Just an FYI for anyone lurking and curious about acceptances:

They do call you at the phone number you provided during your interview day but the time frame varies dramatically. I read last year's thread and got the impression they called within a week or two after your interview day--not the case at all! While this may be true for some, it is in no way a hard fast rule. I was very distressed after the second week post-interview went by without any call but finally received an acceptance call exactly THREE weeks later. I am unsure if others have waited this long or longer for an acceptance.

So if you find yourself in this position waiting an abnormal amount of time to hear back, do not be discouraged. Just wanted to put this out there to hopefully alleviate some worry.

thanks for letting us know. I hope that's not the case for me, though.

I do remember at the interview being told to call them if I had not received a phone call after a week and a half.

thanks for letting us know. I hope that's not the case for me, though.

I do remember at the interview being told to call them if I had not received a phone call after a week and a half.

That's just it; I had called them ~10 days later and was informed a decision hadn't been made on my application yet.

That's just it; I had called them ~10 days later and was informed a decision hadn't been made on my application yet.
I'm a first year at KCOM. I waited ~ 4 weeks for a decision to be made post interview. I hope that helps ease your mind a bit.

I had thought the same thing about the anatomy lab when I interviewed but when I actually started I realized they weren't bad at all. When you are up to your elbows in your dissection its unlikely you will notice the hallways being a little dated :laugh:. Aside from parts of that building being a little dated there is really no problem at all. I have never thought once, "gee if this lab was built last year I totally wouldn't have cut that ansa cervicalis" :p. Nah, it serves it purpose well. In my opinion, I wouldn't let that be the make or break factor.

We haven't done much with the simulator labs thus far in first year yet. But we really haven't done a lot of clinical medicine yet, it has been the basic sciences. I'll defer to my second colleagues for that topic as I am really not sure how they will factor in.

The blocks are about 3-4 weeks on average thus far. I like having all the material on one exam as opposed to separate class exams. I prefer that over having a bunch of single class exams. The curriculum is heavy on basic sciences first semester (anatomy, biochem, physiology, immunology, micro etc...) then moves to a systems style in second semester. I really have no substantive complaints about it so far.

Wow those blocks seem really short. I think that definitely sounds like a plus about the exams. I do like much about this school but based on some posts on this thread, I may not hear a decision for awhile and my other top choice is CUSOM and they want my decision by November 15th soo we'll see about this...

Regardless, thank you for your advice!

Pretty much this. I really liked how other schools had over-table cameras and such, which I suppose could be good for calling the class' attention to well dissected structures. But like AM said, most times you're wrist-deep in corpse and fairly oblivious to what's going on around you. Our lab's ventilation seems worse compared to other schools, but I don't imagine that does much when your face is 12 inches from a fuming cadaver. But the view of the town from our 3rd story is great when you finally do step back and take a break. On a rainy day, it's nice to watch.

A buddy of mine at a different school has his tests spread all out and he's constantly busy. Our test day's are great: take the test and take the day off. My buddy? Take the test and go study something else. Breaks don't come often enough as it is, so getting that almost-day-off is gold.

What do you guys think is the likelihood of me still getting an interview from KCOM if my secondary was completed towards the middle of August?

What do you guys think is the likelihood of me still getting an interview from KCOM if my secondary was completed towards the middle of August?

I was complete late August and just interviewed on Monday, so I would say you still have a good chance!

Same here accepted!!! Really excited as this was my favorite school I interviewed at and I plan on matriculating. I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of you next year!

I was wondering the same thing myself. I was complete Aug 6th...and not a word. I guess at this point, no news is still better than a rejection. Keeping my fingers crossed, good luck.

Same here accepted!!! Really excited as this was my favorite school I interviewed at and I plan on matriculating. I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of you next year!

Congratulations! Mind sharing when you interviewed??

Accepted, interviewed on 10/26 :)

Will most likely be here

Accepted! Interviewed on 10/30. Could not be more excited!

so it takes 3-4 weeks for a decision after II, and if accepted you get a phone call?

I was wondering the same thing myself. I was complete Aug 6th...and not a word. I guess at this point, no news is still better than a rejection. Keeping my fingers crossed, good luck.
Same. Hopefully we both get an interview :)

so it takes 3-4 weeks for a decision after II, and if accepted you get a phone call?

I got the acceptance phone call exactly 1 week after my interview, but I have a friend who interviewed this past week and they are telling her decisions are likely to be made 3-4 weeks post interview at this stage in the cycle. Also, the committee meets every week! (I could not believe this when I heard it! Most schools are once a month or are very secretive about when they hold their adcom meetings.) When I interviewed I was encouraged to call the Friday of the week I interviewed to see if a decision had been made on my application.

I interviewed this Monday (Nov 2) and got accepted yesterday (Nov 5) which is way faster than I was expecting, so I don't know if there is any certain rhyme or reason as to when you can expect to get an acceptance call. If you're concerned I would recommend calling the admissions department, they're all super friendly! :)

I was complete in December last year, then interviewed in early feb. and was accepted a week later. They do interviews pretty late in the year/cycle.

What you gotta realize with this whole process is even though they have and boast (and believe me, they do boast) 5k applicants... among these applicants are those who applied to up to 20 different schools, many that applied to MD schools and DO only as safety's. They will accept WAY more people than they have seats for because of the fact that some will decide to go to closer or cheaper DO school, or maybe they'll get accepted to an MD school (one person in our class left a week in because he/she got accepted to an MD last minute and went there) and decide to go there.

To add to that, I interviewed early Feb, and there are four other people from my interview date in my class.

The one caveat to that is you have to have pretty good stats in at least one or multiple areas (30+ MCAT, 3.8+ sGPA/cGPA with LOTS of science, amazing EC's with awards and stuff)

BIG PICTURE OF THIS POST: If you're a later applicant with competitive stats...chill out, your probably fine.

Rejected via letter, doesn't matter because I got into my top choice Western U!

I was complete in December last year, then interviewed in early feb. and was accepted a week later. They do interviews pretty late in the year/cycle.

What you gotta realize with this whole process is even though they have and boast (and believe me, they do boast) 5k applicants... among these applicants are those who applied to up to 20 different schools, many that applied to MD schools and DO only as safety's. They will accept WAY more people than they have seats for because of the fact that some will decide to go to closer or cheaper DO school, or maybe they'll get accepted to an MD school (one person in our class left a week in because he/she got accepted to an MD last minute and went there) and decide to go there.

To add to that, I interviewed early Feb, and there are four other people from my interview date in my class.

The one caveat to that is you have to have pretty good stats in at least one or multiple areas (30+ MCAT, 3.8+ sGPA/cGPA with LOTS of science, amazing EC's with awards and stuff)

BIG PICTURE OF THIS POST: If you're a later applicant with competitive stats...chill out, your probably fine.
Thanks for the perspective ! I really appreciate it. I have been particularly worried because I quit my job as an engineer last year to take the mcat and pursue medical school. I have only received one rejection letter so I am pretty hopeful for the rest of the schools.