A.T. Still University Kirksville (KCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thats the spirit.
To ace the interview, make sure your read the whole site. They give clue to what they look for in the interviews, like is this persob a family person? Is this person really seeking out osteopathy, etc?
If you have any questions feel free to contact me

Sent from my SPH-L710 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

After deliberating between here and CCOM, I have decided to put down my deposit for KCOM! It was a tough choice, but KCOM was a better fit for me. Looking forward to seeing you all this fall!

Hey congrats! I guess this is bad news for me because apparently I'll be paying a thousand bucks to KCUMB while I wait to hear back from KCOM.

That's tough. But I suppose in the grand scheme of things it's not terrible.

Members don't see this ad :)
After deliberating between here and CCOM, I have decided to put down my deposit for KCOM! It was a tough choice, but KCOM was a better fit for me. Looking forward to seeing you all this fall!

Congrats!

Hey yall, just wanted to chime in... I interview on 12/07 and received an acceptance call today, 12/14, around 1430. I was reading through the forum yesterday, and saw that some people received acceptances on 12/13...which made me a little nervous. It seems that KCOM doesn't call all of their accepted applicants on the same day, so don't lose hope!

Cool thanks! The 10th for me, so it looks like I won't hear until next week.
I wouldn't worry...people have been getting acceptances 2-4 weeks out (which is what they told my interview group).

Withdrew my acceptance today. Its a good school but just can't do Kirskville.

Last edited:
Its not that bad. Fortunately if you are partying alot or whatever, you will probably be failing med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea where you'd want to spend years 3 and 4? I'm strongly leaning towards Salt Lake.

Haha yes I'd rank them
1) Salt Lake City (closest to home and family.)
2) Provo, UT
3) Logan, UT

And who knows, Maybe I'd put Kirksville on that list in the place of Logan.

Its not that bad. Fortunately if you are partying alot or whatever, you will probably be failing med school.

I considered that when I largely locked in on KCOM. but I also think about how my desire to leave my place diminishes in the winter... which is great for studying, not so much for going to class/lab.

Meh, I still party. Find your balance.

So um.. KCOM gives out our emails to the other interviewees? I canceled my interview, but have been receiving emails from people who supposedly interviewed the same day I was scheduled.

That's total BS.

So um.. KCOM gives out our emails to the other interviewees? I canceled my interview, but have been receiving emails from people who supposedly interviewed the same day I was scheduled.

That's total BS.

I don't see anything in my packet from October that has anything with interviewees emails on it. Nor did I recieve any emails from them.

Maybe you're just so popular that they wanted to give everyone your info ;)

I don't see anything in my packet from October that has anything with interviewees emails on it. Nor did I recieve any emails from them.

Maybe you're just so popular that they wanted to give everyone your info ;)

The emails I've received were sent to about 10 other people and the original writer said something like "had a great time meeting you all at the interview"...

I have a serious problem with KCOM giving out my email.

The emails I've received were sent to about 10 other people and the original writer said something like "had a great time meeting you all at the interview"...

I have a serious problem with KCOM giving out my email.

KCOM must have started putting in the other interviewee information after my date then.

I think AZCOM did something similar, although nobody actually emailed me. I guess things like that just wouldn't bother me though,

Oh and btw, congrats on your MD acceptance MedPR!

KCOM must have started putting in the other interviewee information after my date then.

I think AZCOM did something similar, although nobody actually emailed me. I guess things like that just wouldn't bother me though,

Oh and btw, congrats on your MD acceptance MedPR!

Thanks.

The problem is that I canceled my interview. Why would they share my info when I had already withdrawn my application?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Thanks.

The problem is that I canceled my interview. Why would they share my info when I had already withdrawn my application?

Was it a relatively short notice cancellation?

I would assume they already had the cards printed out and just didn't go through and mark you off/reprint

Was it a relatively short notice cancellation?

I would assume they already had the cards printed out and just didn't go through and mark you off/reprint

Greater than 1 week notice.

That's total BS.

I believe it was from the reminder email for your interview date that included everyone's email addresses

I believe it was from the reminder email for your interview date that included everyone's email addresses

I canceled my interview before receiving a reminder email. Plus, the person that wrote the email seems cocky. It says (paraphrasing) "Hey everyone that interviewed with me. I got accepted, but I don't think I want to go. Did any of you get accepted? If not, you can have my spot"

That's total BS.

Whatever. I got at least three emails from schools this application cycle with individual emails listed (related to interview dates, arranged transportation ,etc.)

If anything, I'd be annoyed at the dude ***** who emailed you -- that is inappropriate behavior on his part. But obtaining a list of others' email addresses is hardly shocking.

Whatever. I got at least three emails from schools this application cycle with individual emails listed (related to interview dates, arranged transportation ,etc.)

If anything, I'd be annoyed at the dude ***** who emailed you -- that is inappropriate behavior on his part. But obtaining a list of others' email addresses is hardly shocking.

I mean it's one thing to get a bunch of emails that list individual email addresses, but the fact that this guy knew I was supposed to be in his interview group is what is bothering me.

I canceled my interview before any confirmation email went out so there's no way for him to know when I interviewed unless KCOM told him in some way.

At WVSOM a few of us collected everyone's emails before we split for the day. But we didn't have them given out by the school. And unless I missed something, I don't think KCOM did either

I mean it's one thing to get a bunch of emails that list individual email addresses, but the fact that this guy knew I was supposed to be in his interview group is what is bothering me.

I canceled my interview before any confirmation email went out so there's no way for him to know when I interviewed unless KCOM told him in some way.
I don't ever recall KCOM doing this... So call the guy out, tell everyone to leave you alone. Maybe, contact admissions and describe your situation? Not much more us on the interwebz can do for ya.

Hey everyone! It was a really hard decision but I decided to withdraw my acceptance to KCOM. I hope one of you waiting to hear gets my spot! KCOM is such a wonderful school with unlimited opportunity..best of luck everyone!

I canceled my interview before receiving a reminder email. Plus, the person that wrote the email seems cocky. It says (paraphrasing) "Hey everyone that interviewed with me. I got accepted, but I don't think I want to go. Did any of you get accepted? If not, you can have my spot"

Just seeing this email would have annoyed me enough because there was ZERO point to it. It's not like you can hand off an acceptance like you can an interview date. The dude basically wanted to tell everyone he was accepted. Typical stereotypical self-absorbed pre-med :rolleyes:

Are those preceptorship programs or rotations at local hospitals???

Are those preceptorship programs or rotations at local hospitals???

Haha yes I'd rank them
1) Salt Lake City (closest to home and family.)
2) Provo, UT
3) Logan, UT

And who knows, Maybe I'd put Kirksville on that list in the place of Logan.

Are those preceptorship programs or rotations at local hospitals??

Today I wake up to an email from KCUMB telling me they'll extend my deposit deadline by 3 weeks. Amazing right? Then at 10:04 I get the call from Angie in admissions...

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!

While yes I am about 95% set on KCOM, this thankfully allows me a little time to measure the pros and cons of the two schools to make a careful, well thought out decision.

Interviewed 12/10, so 1 week isn't bad!

<-------For those wondering about stats, see my MDApps.

Today I wake up to an email from KCUMB telling me they'll extend my deposit deadline by 3 weeks. Amazing right? Then at 10:04 I get the call from Angie in admissions...

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!

While yes I am about 95% set on KCOM, this thankfully allows me a little time to measure the pros and cons of the two schools to make a careful, well thought out decision.

Interviewed 12/10, so 1 week isn't bad!

<-------For those wondering about stats, see my MDApps.

First of all CONGRATS! On this acceptance and all your others. You have obviously been tremendously successful.

Out of curiosity, what is it that is making you lean towards KCOM over all of the other schools? I'll be seeing KCOM in a couple weeks and I'm just interested in knowing others' opinions! :)

can any current students say what they think about the Complete DOctor course that KCOM has?:) it sounds awesome, is it a one time course or is it continuous?

I don't ever recall KCOM doing this... So call the guy out, tell everyone to leave you alone. Maybe, contact admissions and describe your situation? Not much more us on the interwebz can do for ya.

Yea I guess. I just wanted to find out if this was typical of KCOM.

can any current students say what they think about the Complete DOctor course that KCOM has?:) it sounds awesome, is it a one time course or is it continuous?

Complete DO is your clinical class, its where you learn how to do all your pt interacting and exams and what not.

Yea I guess. I just wanted to find out if this was typical of KCOM.

It's not.

First of all CONGRATS! On this acceptance and all your others. You have obviously been tremendously successful.

Out of curiosity, what is it that is making you lean towards KCOM over all of the other schools? I'll be seeing KCOM in a couple weeks and I'm just interested in knowing others' opinions! :)

Well honestly between them an KCUMB I think it's about 6's (leaning more toward KCUMB in all honesty) when just considering the schools, BUT there are several things that lean the scale toward KCOM for me:

• Kirksville, I love it. Small, family friendly, great place overall.
  • SAA (it's the wive's/significant other club) is SUPER awesome and helpful and it would make Kirksville amazing for my wife/baby.
  • Utah rotation sites for years 3-4 to come back close to family! (That way I don't leave my wife alone while I'm on away rotations)
  • KCOM is much more family-oriented than any other school I interviewed at. They have a nursing room on campus and give access to all the facilities for students AND their families. I loved that they invited the family to come to the interview and really took good care of them the whole day!

But really I loved the two schools. If single I'd probably choose KCUMB. Not being single, I feel like Kirksville will be best for the family.

Congrats abolt! That is very good news indeed.

Oh and in reply to the post half way up the page, all of Utah's rotations are preceptor based. You can find all this information on the extensive rotations guide (which FYI was one of many reasons I chose KCOM -- the fact that they provide you with so much info about the second half of med school, instead of just a list of affiliates)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

Oh and in reply to the post half way up the page, all of Utah's rotations are preceptor based. You can find all this information on the extensive rotations guide (which FYI was one of many reasons I chose KCOM -- the fact that they provide you with so much info about the second half of med school, instead of just a list of affiliates)

Where did you find this rotation guide? I will look but I've never seen this?

If you haven't found it yet:
http://www.atsu.edu/kcom/admissions/pdfs/SiteGuide.pdf

Site info starts on page 11

And congrats!!!

Thank you guys!!!

Well honestly between them an KCUMB I think it's about 6's (leaning more toward KCUMB in all honesty) when just considering the schools, BUT there are several things that lean the scale toward KCOM for me:

• Kirksville, I love it. Small, family friendly, great place overall.
  • SAA (it's the wive's/significant other club) is SUPER awesome and helpful and it would make Kirksville amazing for my wife/baby.
  • Utah rotation sites for years 3-4 to come back close to family! (That way I don't leave my wife alone while I'm on away rotations)
  • KCOM is much more family-oriented than any other school I interviewed at. They have a nursing room on campus and give access to all the facilities for students AND their families. I loved that they invited the family to come to the interview and really took good care of them the whole day!

But really I loved the two schools. If single I'd probably choose KCUMB. Not being single, I feel like Kirksville will be best for the family.

Thanks for the response! I'm glad it was a good fit for your family. Unfortunately, that's not my situation. Are a lot of KCOM students married with families does anyone know?

Thanks for the response! I'm glad it was a good fit for your family. Unfortunately, that's not my situation. Are a lot of KCOM students married with families does anyone know?

I think my group was told ~2/3 of the class is married.

I Don't know if that's right. I'm going to be in that other 1/3 of it, so it didn't really impact my decision. :)

I think my group was told ~2/3 of the class is married.

I Don't know if that's right. I'm going to be in that other 1/3 of it, so it didn't really impact my decision. :)

That's A LOT. :eek: Are there any current non-married/with family students that could comment? I'd almost feel out of place!

Students on my tour told me KCOM has provided excellent spousal support.

I know I'm still testing the waters at Nova next month but if I do end up in Kirksville I will be very happy, weather aside.