A thread for Sevo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noyac

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This one is for music. Sevo I know you are a music guy. So what are you listening to these days? Anything new?
My new in listening interests are :
The Black Angels
Alabama Shakes
Gary Clark Jr

Just to get started.

Members don't see this ad.

Why does this matter?
Cuz very few surgeons have the time to find new music much less the time to enjoy it. Bring your music to the OR and introduce them.

Reactions: 1 users
Coming from New Orleans, people assume that I have good musical taste. But it is very difficult at times to come up with something everyone appreciates in the OR and doesn't stress out the environment. Learning your staff and their interests will afford you many benefits. Plus you will be designated the DJ for the room which will always benefit you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Oops, I forgot about those poor saps ( it's a joke ) in an ACT PRACTICE.

Just another joy of doing your own cases!

Put on "Elephant" by Tame Impala, turn it all the way up, and tell me you don't subsequently want to jump into a '69 Camaro and redline it. Tycho brings you back down to earth. Then throw on some Lazerhawk to get yourself back to neutral.

Black Label Society: It'll make em sew faster. Also perfect for riding a thunderous v-twin.

Man... I'm always on the hunt for good tunes for different moods.

Been dig'n these guys:

I really dig this version of Major Tom:

Revisiting some 90's stuff:

Not a huge Avenged 7 fold fan... but I'm a huge fan of this song... was gonna paly it for you the last time we hung out... but I forgot. Cool build up and fun guitar solo.

The true question is...

When is TOOL gonna get their act together and put out their new album....? Those f'ers are on tour right now... so the wait continues. o_O

As bonified DJs, we as anesthesiologists need to be flexible and understand the tastes of different people in different OR's.

(Noy... I was caught off guard with "Quayle"... as my bluegrass collection is essentially nil).

Last edited:
BTW, 6 underground and Major Tom are liked by most in the ORs. Another hidden Gem for chilln' out in the OR is... wait for it... wait for it...

MORCHEEBA! Not a lot of people know them, but great chilln' music for those long spine cases. Circa mid 90's. Almost unanemously asked about when I put them on.

As bonified DJs, we as anesthesiologists need to be flexible and understand the tastes of different people in different OR's.

(Noy... I was caught off guard with "Quayle"... as my bluegrass collection is essentially nil).

Yeah me too. No bluegrass

Morcheeba. Good name. Creative.

Playing them now in the GYN room. Good stuff for this room.

Here's one that I found 10 years ago on that Garageband.com website when it was full of random awesome/shit independent music. It got stuck in my head and I still know it. It's frenetic.

Here's another(one of my favourite instrumentals):

http://omniseattle.bandcamp.com/track/soliloquy

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive been on a reggae kick the last few months.

Iration has been my favorite:

A little Reverend Horton Heat or Legendary Shack Shakers will make for a fun OR.

Caveat, don't have militant feminist nurses when playing these ;)

This one is for music. Sevo I know you are a music guy. So what are you listening to these days? Anything new?
My new in listening interests are :
The Black Angels
Alabama Shakes
Gary Clark Jr

Just to get started.
Alabama Shakes helped get me through 7 months in the desert.

Ok so I've just had Alabama Shakes on Pandora for the last 4 hr. ENT case and it was the most eclectic mix I have ever heard. At one point it went from Cold War Kids to Etta James to Violent Femmes to The Pixies. Bizarre but awesome.

Ok so I've just had Alabama Shakes on Pandora for the last 4 hr. ENT case and it was the most eclectic mix I have ever heard. At one point it went from Cold War Kids to Etta James to Violent Femmes to The Pixies. Bizarre but awesome.

I don't know anything about the Alabama Shakes but the Pixies rock it silly.

I have rotated 3 months this year on the gen surg service of a mid-60s conservative southern male surgeon who MUST have the Marky Mark channel from Pandora playing. It's a riot.

I know no one asked me.

Really fun live - this song is pretty good. They have some really great stuff.

but....saw these guys last month. My face hurt the next day for smiling so much.

I have seen these guys a few times.

Same with these folks.

I'm sure you are already listening to Ra Ra Riot - but in case you aren't

Exactly!

I have rotated 3 months this year on the gen surg service of a mid-60s conservative southern male surgeon who MUST have the Marky Mark channel from Pandora playing. It's a riot.
In my previous gig I worked with a CVT surgeon at thought he was the coolest guy on the planet. He was a complete "tool". Never met anyone with less taste in anything in my life. But he insisted on, no lie, Brittany F*cking Spears. We finally took a vote and made him feel completely uncultured. It worked. He never recovered but we were much better off from that day on.

A couple more:

and some older AFI, their new stuff is pretty much crap

In my previous gig I worked with a CVT surgeon at thought he was the coolest guy on the planet. He was a complete "tool". Never met anyone with less taste in anything in my life. But he insisted on, no lie, Brittany F*cking Spears. We finally took a vote and made him feel completely uncultured. It worked. He never recovered but we were much better off from that day on.

I like this guy much more when he's listening to marky mark :)

I'm trying to get him to listen to social distortion, but I think that's too much for him :D

Here's some stuff from Kevin Moore, the original keyboardist for Dream Theater. He left that wank-a-thon to do his own thing, which is far more subdued and in my opinion more listenable.

Hey Noyac... an oldie but a goodie and I think right up your alley. Put this on and turn your speakers up as loud as they will go.

Yeah, they rule. I wish I could've seen them at Lollapalooza 3, but my mom and dad wouldn't let me go. I was only 15 at the time. Strict parenting. haha

I was 16 that year and finally allowed to go. Great show from what I remember, lol.

:rage: Very jealous. And still a little bitter about the whole thing. Doubly bad when your friends parents let them go. Of course most of them aren't pulling the lifestyle I am now so maybe it turned out okay in the longrun. Maybe.

:rage: Very jealous. And still a little bitter about the whole thing. Doubly bad when your friends parents let them go. Of course most of them aren't pulling the lifestyle I am now so maybe it turned out okay in the longrun. Maybe.

Most of them probably don't have the health you do either lol.

I was in college when lollapalooza started. I had spent a number of years in college athletics where things like this were usually held on game days. I missed out on a few of these events for this reason. But lollapalooza 1 was not one I was gonna miss. Oh, and I wasn't playing ball at this time either. I was a full time student for once and it sucked. Lollapalooza 1 was in New Orleans and it was amazing. I had just met my current wife and things were different then, somewhat. I remember wandering off by myself during the Ministry set. I never expect to have a experience like that one again. Perry Farrell on the side stage unexpectedly. Chili peppers wearing only "a" sock and flaming headgear. In my state, this was perfection. One month later I was in med school. Wow, what a ride. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Except for maybe my CEO's gig. ;)

Shadows of the morning light. Shadows of the evening sun... yes. Great time in music. Great time period.

This one ranks up there with the relic material... and Dave Navarro had it going on back then.

My fav... Navaro/Farrel song:

Classic for some of us.

Epidural man, I enjoyed your list. What else do you recommend?

No one asked me either; here are a few of my favorites.

Music lovers, how do you play your tunes in the OR? Connected to your computer at the workstation? Your phone/tablet connected to portable speakers -- and if so, what brand/model?

Foodie, this is not a knock or gab but I can tell your from NY.

We use a Bose Wave radio.

Usually pandora via my iPad bluetoothed to my Bose soundlink mini

Bose. However, we recently installed a high qulality sound system on the outpatient side ORs... complete with 10" subwoofers. These are accessible at our anesthesia desk in the back of the room. :horns:

Noyac, I don't take that as a jab at all. Although I'm not sure why you say so. I would imagine that other indieheads would enjoy those songs.

Salty Dog, I used to listen to Pandora, then I found Songza. Try it out. You can choose a playlist depending on your mood/time of day/genre/activity, etc. Playlist options are endless and I've found many new artists and songs that way.

Sevo, that place sounds like a dream.

I work with a surgeon who kept playing Robin Thicke's horrible, misogynistic song that chipped away at my soul every time I heard it. He finally stopped playing it, only to replace it with What does the Fox Say song. Not sure what's worse.

Epidural man, I enjoyed your list. What else do you recommend?

No one asked me either; here are a few of my favorites.

Music lovers, how do you play your tunes in the OR? Connected to your computer at the workstation? Your phone/tablet connected to portable speakers -- and if so, what brand/model?

Hate Muse.
Love CHVRCHES.
Ok with Naked and Famous.

We had an ophthalmologist that, around Christmas time, insisted on playing his Muppets Christmas CD. You don't know pain until you have listened to the 12 Days of Christmas sang by the entire cast of the Muppets. I'll take Brittany any day over that. Thankfully, he was asked by his Chairman to vacate the premises a few weeks later (unrelated to the Muppets fiasco, but should have been a fireable offense, IMHO).

The Spears and Robin Thicke comments remind me just how happy I am that our sound system is controlled by bluetooth, and that you can change it up on your buddy's OR from next door. Spices up a case to never know when Chumbawumba is gonna get going.

Last edited: