A twist on the PS overlap with MD/PhD essay question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tempestatic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some background first: I was previously accepted MD-only at my state school and realized very belatedly I wanted to do basic science research through a combo of the secondary/interview processes and undergrad coursework that year. I was planning on applying internally to MSTP until I was placed at a satellite campus with essentially no research opportunities. When my petition for the main campus (where most research is, including the MSTP) fell through, I decided to turn down the acceptance and reapply MD/PhD. It was a very difficult decision at the time, and I still question it sometimes, but it's made and I'm moving forward to the best of my ability, applying MD/PhD programs but also opting in for MD as well at those schools for backup.

That being said, I know that turning down the acceptance is a big red flag and I'm looking for some advice. Specifically, do I touch on turning down the acceptance at all, and if so, what would be an appropriate way to incorporate that decision?

Personally, I feel like this is part of my story -- how I came to realize my goals -- but I'm not sure which essay it fits into, as it's MD/PhD relevant, but my MD essay also needs to stand on its own. I do also feel like I want to prophylactically address that red flag, although I don't know how much schools will see into my previous status -- if I was a previous applicant at their school, I was accepted elsewhere, etc. -- so I wouldn't want to risk hurting my app without reason. Thus, I don't know the extent to which I might talk about it -- if I just talk about reapplying or if I also mention turning down the offer.

I'd really appreciate any advice -- thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You only need to mention this in one of the essays, and you don't want it to get in the way of your whole application. I would mention it briefly in the MD/PhD essay (the PS shouldn't have a giant red flag in it IMO), but how you talk about it is more important than the essay you choose.

Many people will interpret your actions as "given MD or PhD, I would choose the PhD" since you turned down an MD acceptance, so you really need a compelling "why MD" personal statement (in addition to a compelling "why PhD" essay). Some people may consider what you did as quitting medical school already, so you may be more likely to quit anytime along the MD/PhD/residency pipeline, so you should have some good reasons why you won't quit again.

Last edited:
Second above. To be consistent, you also need to apply ONLY to MD/PhD programs. You will need to apply to many programs because in the presence of this prior indicator, you are more likely to be screened out. If you are applying only to MD/PhD programs, then write your story in the personal statement, while the MD/PhD essay is passionate about research.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Second above. To be consistent, you also need to apply ONLY to MD/PhD programs. You will need to apply to many programs because in the presence of this prior indicator, you are more likely to be screened out. If you are applying only to MD/PhD programs, then write your story in the personal statement, while the MD/PhD essay is passionate about research.

Fencer, please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, is your suggestion to apply to more MD/PhD programs, both as "insurance/backup" instead of checking the "please consider me for both MD/PhD and MD" box, and also to give me more leeway on my essay topics?

Thank you both for the advice. I will keep that in mind as I do further revision.

I'm with Fencer. You burned your MD bridge. Put all your chips on MD/PhD.

This is on the AMCAS if I recall? i.e. Have you been accepted to medical school in the past or something like that? I'd try to hide it, but you can't in that sort of case. In the essay just come clean. You were considered and accepted by an MD program that had no opportunities for MD/PhD or significant research, and decided to reapply as MD/PhD rather than go MD-only. I'm just one guy, but I'd buy that argument.

Pretty much. The AMCAS only asks if you've matriculated, but I'm pretty sure a good number of secondaries last time around had a question asking if you've been accepted in the past, so the fact is going to be revealed at some point or another.

As much as I wanted to check the MD-only box as a safety blanket, I've come to the conclusion that I already went for broke turning down the previous offer, so it'd be stupid not to sell out completely for the MD/PhD and avoid the MD-only. Looks like I'm bumping my list to 25+.

Thanks for all the help.