A unique situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theriomorphos

Nerdcore
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not worth it. You can review your basic chemistry concepts when in O-chem. I think you should talk to professors at your new 4 year place and make sure they think you'll be prepared for O-chem.

Keep up the idea of learning material well; it will get you far.

I'm not an adcom member, but I frankly I think people would wonder why you did that. I know I would, and still kind of am, despite your explanation. The obvious reason, if you take your transcripts at face value, is that you were concerned about the workload at your new university so wanted to repeat a course you knew you could do well in to make for an easier semester. This is not the kind of vibe you want to be giving off, even though it's inaccurate. I'm just not sure you want to put yourself on the defensive just starting out.

You *will* get another shot at Gen Chem; in a few years you'll be taking the MCAT, so you'll have to study chemistry for that. (And no, it's not worth re-taking the class to get a better base for the MCAT.)

I certainly appreciate your motivations--we need more pre-meds like you!--but I'm just not sure that's the best use of your time.

Members don't see this ad :)
So basically you're doing the exact opposite of what people told you to do?

Reactions: 1 user
How is auditing a class which I have already taken going to hurt, if it has no bearing on the grade?

Because even though you'd get no grade for auditing, you're still taking the class. It takes up time that you could otherwise apply to other courses or activities. If you've already passed the class with good grades (as you say), you're not adding anything of value that couldn't be accomplished by reviewing the material(s) on your own.

Retaking the labs is also a mistake. What happens if you get a lower grade in these labs vs. what you've already obtained? How do you know that your knowledge will increase exponentially, as you seem to infer? And would anything gained from the retake translate to a significant increase in a future MCAT score? I agree with @gonnif that retaking anything within the Gen. Chem. series will bring up too many questions with adcoms and your possible explanation(s) for it could appear a bit naïve, especially since you're supposed to be a non-trad applicant who has seen life through a different lens.

Time is precious, especially for us non-trads. Maximize its value when you can.

Reactions: 1 users
How is auditing a class which I have already taken going to hurt, if it has no bearing on the grade?

I am intrigued by this thread. You did say you were retaking the labs for a grade? I doubt that anything you will learn in a freshman chemistry lab will be useful, especially with you working in an actual lab.

No! I am not taking the labs for the grade. As partners, I was the math guy in the lab, always doing the reports, post lab questions etc. My partners on the other hand did most of the practical hands on work. While I did partake in that, I deemed it as not so important ( I WAS SO WRONG! ). My primary reason for doing the labs is just getting on that hands on experience so that I am not sloppy when I join the research lab.

I was also a nontraditional applicant to medical school, and worked as a paid full time lab tech for 5 years before med school, with a 1.5 year break in the middle to do an undergrad postbac program so I could apply to medical school (I also took a few CC classes at night before decided to do a postbac full time)

I just finished med school and will be starting residency in July.

I think your plan is bad and you are approaching this wrong.

1. you are not going to learn anything more or gain any extra skills by auditing the gen chem class. This is intro chemistry stuff that is very basic and there is nothing "greater" to learn from it.

2. don't retake the chemistry lab. Again, this is entry level stuff and there is not much to learn. Any skills you need for the research job will be taught when you start. You will not gain any skills in the gen chem lab that will be very helpful in your research gig.

In my opinion, seeing as you are already mid-30s (?) and your plan is to go to medical school, you should be figuring out how you can finish your undergrad degree in as little time as possible. Medical schools already do not take many applicants in their 30s, and it seems like you will be closer to your 40s by the time you're applying. Furthermore, I think it will be more difficult to match into residency programs the older you are (mid 40s?).

Good luck with whatever you choose.

If the audit shows up in your transcript, it's a terrible idea. If you have questions, ask your PI or labmates for guidance or resources. You don't need a class for that.

No! I am not taking the labs for the grade. As partners, I was the math guy in the lab, always doing the reports, post lab questions etc. My partners on the other hand did most of the practical hands on work. While I did partake in that, I deemed it as not so important ( I WAS SO WRONG! ). My primary reason for doing the labs is just getting on that hands on experience so that I am not sloppy when I join the research lab.

Nothing you learn in an intro chem lab will be of any use. Waste of time, but do what you will.

A fantastic board and super awesome people on this board. Thank you all for the great replies. No! I won't be auditing the class. The professor has agreed that he will share his problem sets, notes etc and give me challenging problems during the office hours. :) Sometimes all you need to do is ask. :)

In my spare time I will study it myself by doing problems through brown lemay and bursten chemistry and general chemistry as a second language.

Thank you once again. SDN is the best. :)

Did you make a decision on the lab part of your question? I've spent quite a bit of time in various research labs and dont think repeating Chem labs for more hands on will be a good use of your time. The senior people in the research lab will teach you what you need to know.