All Branch Topic (ABT) A very Army moment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my command uses the tri-service work flow forms in AHLTA. For those who aren't familiar its an AHLTA upgrade designed to standardize outpatient note format across services and facilities. Today I found my note had a bright red banner warning banner across the top, which had never been there before, reading something like:

"Warning: The Army Department of Medicine Requires that ALL patients be Screened for Ebola"

followed by

"The AF and Navy Departments of Medicine Continue to Encourage Providers to Use their Clinical Judgment Regarding Ebola Screenings".

So, to all the Army Guys out there, are you up to the challenge? Ready to start using 5 minutes out of every 15 minute appointment to screen your constipated pediatric patients for Ebola?

Members don't see this ad.

Two quick questions and its done... Have you traveller recently to Africa and have you been in contact with someone who has...

I usually just get my medics to screen that portion but it takes no more than 30 seconds to complete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a classic army "cover-my-ass" thing. If someone in your clinic ended up being diagnosed with Ebola down the line and you saw that patient before the diagnosis and did not document this nonsense, they would hang you out to dry. One thing I did learn in my 12-year career is that the army is all about assigning blame when the boss (nurse general in this case) gets an a.. chewing. Just look how many quality hospital commanders have been relieved of duty under her command.

We have our own nonsense in civilian medicine (i.e. MUC attestation), but at least we are compensated if we complete said regulation. Just one more completely worthless requirement that doesn't improve patient care the military is going to pile on physicians.