A vs B, Pick One

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A vs B, Pick One

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

threemileisle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm going to try framing my internal debate differently. Assume all of the below are indisputable facts. Which do you choose? I'm hoping some current dental students will be able to offer some input into how much being happy during your 4 years of DS is really worth. And how much any differences in clinical education persist after graduating when taking practicing and post-grad CE into account.

School A
  • Costs 50k more, pre-interest.
  • Top clinical program.
  • Culture of supportive students and faculty.
  • You don't know if you want to specialize, but this schools offers a SLIGHT, perhaps insignificant, edge in the ability to specialize.
  • 2000 miles from home, family, friends, significant other.
  • More urban city.
School B
  • 50k cheaper, probably closer to 100k after interest.
  • Average clinical program. Neither terrible nor exceptional.
  • Poor culture, many students have been reported to be unhappy.
  • Many students match into residencies, but perhaps not quite at the same rate as the first school.
  • 200 miles from home.
  • Safer city.
In spite of A offering what is a better education, with a superior clinic, in a more support environment, would most people still select B due to the overriding factors of cost and proximity?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I see two votes were cast for A. Is anybody willing to elaborate on why A would be the better choice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, so, I made a similar post on the pre-dent forum and an overwhelming majority favor B over A. However, given that they're mostly pre-dents, maybe there are factors in play that I'm not aware of. For the dental students/grads on here who voted for A, why did you do so? Is having a great culture at the school one attends actual very important and not something to be undervalued, even if it results in similar levels of clinical competence?

In the end it's your decision, but don't hang an albatross around your neck. "Better clinical" programs rarely turn out to be that much better.

Reactions: 1 users
How do you feel about the distance from home? You'll be traveling back and forth quite a few times during your 4 years (holidays, etc.) that will also factor into expenses.
I think either school is going to have it's ups and downs, but it really is what you make of it. If school B sucks, take heart that you'll be $100k+ less in debt. All things considered, I'd take option B. It doesn't matter how much you make, $100k+ hangs over you like a noose for a long time after you graduate. That debt will remain much, much longer than your 4 years in dental school. School B buys your freedom sooner.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are married - then B. If not - then A. Better psychological atmosphere at school is much more important then cost

Be wary of taking advice from people who do not understand the difference between then and than.
Unfortunately you do not understand, that there are people, whose first language is not English, but have a kind heart and a lot of experience. My TOEFL score is 113 out of 120, so I am not as bad as some of your competitors. You are welcome to correct my mistakes, but do it respectfully.
Having a family, I mean spouse and children, far away is hard. If this is not an issue, I personally prefer better conditions to study, so I would not turn into a coldhearted b with dollar signs in my eyes by the end of dental school

Go with the school with the better atmosphere - the one where you will be more comfortable at for the next 4 years of your life. We aren't talking about a school that costs $100,000 vs. $400,000....$50,000 is not the end of the world and let me tell you, dental school can be hell and utter misery at some schools. You don't want to be miserable for four years. People on this board overestimate costs to some extent.

Go with the school with the better atmosphere - the one where you will be more comfortable at for the next 4 years of your life. We aren't talking about a school that costs $100,000 vs. $400,000....$50,000 is not the end of the world and let me tell you, dental school can be hell and utter misery at some schools. You don't want to be miserable for four years. People on this board overestimate costs to some extent.

Thanks for your feedback. As somebody else said somewhere, maybe it's a matter of choosing where I want my support to come from. Home near loved ones, or far away with what might be a more caring student body and supportive faculty. If it were a matter of cost alone, I don't think I'd have a problem with passing it up if I derived a superior education. However, combining cost with proximity and bundling it with a city I like a little bit more -- it's a package that's difficult to ignore.

The strength of a clinical program is always hard to establish, regardless of reputation. I would go to the closer school (B) because of family, sig other, and cost.

I would choose B due to proximity to home and cheaper tuition. It's hard to gauge clinical program strength from one school to the next. In the end, your clinical abilities are what matters regardless of the program's reputation. The same goes with placing into residencies. If you make the grades and do some ECs while in dental school that relate to that specialty, it will be a significant help. Start a study/journal club, organization, put together some kind of fundraiser for that specialty and they will eat that up!

B, because what school you went to generally wont matter in the long run. However, the amount of money you owe can matter for a very long time.

A. 50K for 4yrs of happiness and supportive environment.