A wait pile for interview invitations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10Acious

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was complete fairly early around late July or early August at all of my 20+ schools. I have been fortunate to get a few interview invitations thus far but my last one has come at the very beginning of September. I'm certain most schools have already physically looked at my application once already. Since I have only received two explicit rejections, I was wondering if the general process is that I, and applicants similar to me are sitting in a "maybe send interview invitation if no more top priority applications come in"- pile?

Does anyone have insight into the process? Am I already given a numerical overall score and it's just a matter of a chance (relative to the strength of applicant pool) that a robot will send an invitation email in due time? I guess I'm just wondering if radio silence at this point typically means I should not expect much more from schools who obviously gave me a first pass already and haven't sent me invitations.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Most schools that pass you over for the first round of interviews will come back to look at your application a second, maybe even a third time later on in the cycle. I don't know of any schools that "rank" all the applications, I believe you're just in a pool that is looked at again all together. My advising office said that there is always a big bump in interview invites after the New Year so don't feel discouraged about being in that "second look" pool. Lots of people get accepted from interviews they attended Jan-March.

Thanks! That's reassuring to know. How did you find this out? Also, does this mean update letters actually serve a purpose in this instance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools that pass you over for the first round of interviews will come back to look at your application a second, maybe even a third time later on in the cycle. I don't know of any schools that "rank" all the applications, I believe you're just in a pool that is looked at again all together. My advising office said that there is always a big bump in interview invites after the New Year so don't feel discouraged about being in that "second look" pool. Lots of people get accepted from interviews they attended Jan-March.

Yeah, there's usually a surge around January and then its pretty much over by late February for interview invites.

Just an FYI August isn't early. Late July is considered on time.

Quoting the extremely wise gyngyn here:

Candidates fall into three general categories:
1. Interview now
2. Reject now (except for "silent rejection" schools)
3. Stratify and re-assess at intervals. This is the largest category in size. Most of these will never be interviewed but until a sufficient number of acceptances have been offered, interviews may be forthcoming as the season progresses.

Hi I was complete fairly early around late July or early August at all of my 20+ schools. I have been fortunate to get a few interview invitations thus far but my last one has come at the very beginning of September. I'm certain most schools have already physically looked at my application once already. Since I have only received two explicit rejections, I was wondering if the general process is that I, and applicants similar to me are sitting in a "maybe send interview invitation if no more top priority applications come in"- pile?

Does anyone have insight into the process? Am I already given a numerical overall score and it's just a matter of a chance (relative to the strength of applicant pool) that a robot will send an invitation email in due time? I guess I'm just wondering if radio silence at this point typically means I should not expect much more from schools who obviously gave me a first pass already and haven't sent me invitations.

I see now... but most of the schools in question for me I think are all silent rejection schools.+pity+lol

I see now... but most of the schools in question for me I think are all silent rejection schools.+pity+lol
And how exactly did you go about figuring that out?

I searched for "list of silent rejection schools."

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in a similar situation as OP. Complete in early August, received some IIs, but still haven't heard back from 13 schools. How common is it to get an II 4-6 months after applying?

I'm in a similar situation as OP. Complete in early August, received some IIs, but still haven't heard back from 13 schools. How common is it to get an II 4-6 months after applying?
It happens. No one knows about how "common" it actually is beyond anecdotal evidence.