A what are my chances thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apply Pressure

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
230 step 1
Top 15% of Class-Psi Sigma Alpha
DO student
1 first author public health publication
2 posters at conferences
Normal extra-curriculars, service, TA, Tutor, clubs, bla bla bla
Second language spanish

Most important of all--intramural basketball champion at school. lol

I need honest feedback:

I'm a 3rd year medical student (US allo) and just received my board scores. Despite much better practice scores, i ended up with a 209/86 on step I.

Unfortunately I've always been a poor standardized test-taker... I got a 28O on my MCAT and had a 1170 SAT. However, because of my persistence and ability to talk to people/make connections, I am where I am now.

I've also only honored 1 class in my basic science years. I did radiology research during summer after my 1st year and we're submitting our paper to a major journal. The project will also be presented later this year at a meeting... I have a solid relationship with my PI.

So the big question...

Is it possible to match a decent university-based radiology program in a decent location given my information? If not/borderline, what else would it take? (i.e. honors for 3rd year, early step II?, calculated away rotations?, etc). Any serious advice is appreciated. Thanks

I'm applying this year, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Your Step I is a problem, but people do match with low Step I's, but a University program will be harder to swing. The pubs could go a long way but I doubt they alone will compensate for the Step I. Your life's mission at this point needs to be to Honor all of your clinical clerkships, and take Step II early and get at least a 230. Do that, and I think you've got a good chance of matching somewhere, University or otherwise.

I'm basing this advice on what I've read, and on the experience of a friend with similar stats. He had a slightly higher Step I and ended up matching at a university program in Virginia, so it happens.

HamOn

Step is a bit low from what I have seen and heard. Do well in clinicals, grab some posters, focus yourself on a few places and do well on Step II. You should be fine if you can get to a few places, fit in and tell them you want to be a Radiologist more than life itself. :hardy: