a year ago, a year from now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ooh fun!

A year ago= I was working on my pre-first year summer reading, trying to find housing remotely, and seriously freaking out about how I was going to get through first year.

Now (I think you all should add this!) = I'm working on my pre-second year sumer reading, shadowing at my hospital, working on research, and planning a July vacation...and freaking out about how I'll get through second year and the boards.

A year from now = I'll have just taken the Boards, sleeping most of the day, and freaking out about how I'll get through third year.

Members don't see this ad.

A year ago- I was studying for my MCAT for the 2009-2010 season, showing my horses, and moving in with my boyfriend for the first time, working as a research tech

Now- I am studying again for the MCAT, praying I get accepted off of one of my three waitlists from last year, completed my AMCAS the first week about to start secondaries, the boy and I have lived together a year and have a puppy, I have 4 pending publications from my research work, started volunteering at a hospital and through a local hospice program and at a local homeless shelter, still show my horses...

A year from now-Hopefully I will be accepted into medical school and preparing to move for medical school and never have to apply again. :laugh:

Last edited:
A year ago: I was 1/5 of my way through ODS (Navy staff corps officer training)

A year from now: I'll be happy to be done with Step I, but anxious about starting rotations

Members don't see this ad :)
A year ago - I was ready to jump all in, and I did - my brain needs some down time.

A year from now - No doubt I'll be sweating that f'ing step exam.

A year ago - I was starting a summer research project before dropping into MS2, and the step exam was just a dark cloud on the horizon.

A year from now - I'll be more proficient in my skills, more aware of my shortcomings, and developed an unnatural fondness for truely bad joe - and I'll still think step 1 wasn't that traumatic...

A year ago: Finished my last pre-reqs and trying to decide if I still wanted to go through it all.

A year from now: Moving/moved into a house with the hubster and two kids and enjoying my last few months before starting med school (Penn or Jeff!).

I was pretty close! We already moved into the house, the second kid is still baking and I'm going to Temple, my favorite of the three schools where I interviewed. :)

A year ago: Waiting for my stupid AMCAS to verify and working.

A year from now: Enjoying my last real summer vacation. Hopefully, my in-laws keep the offer open to babysit and the hubster and I can go on a cruise BY OURSELVES. *Swoon*

A year ago- high school,getting in trouble
A year from now- college,getting in trouble

Reactions: 1 user
A year ago: Submitting primary and realizing that I would be late in the app cycle since I didn't take the MCAT until August.

Now: Relaxing before med school and trying to make the most of my summer!

A year from now: Hopefully not repeating my first year... :oops:

a year ago: I was flipping out about having dropped gen chem II/considering switching to accounting..and registering for physics I

a year from now: I'll (hopefully) be verified, have gotten good grades in my remaining prereqs, had my honors thesis started, and either studying abroad or taking a decent vacation during july :thumbup:

Ooh fun!

A year ago= I was working on my pre-first year summer reading, trying to find housing remotely, and seriously freaking out about how I was going to get through first year.

Now (I think you all should add this!) = I'm working on my pre-second year sumer reading, shadowing at my hospital, working on research, and planning a July vacation...and freaking out about how I'll get through second year and the boards.

A year from now = I'll have just taken the Boards, sleeping most of the day, and freaking out about how I'll get through third year.

Hahaha I was incredibly accurate.

Now: just took the Boards a few days ago, I have done nothing but sleep and watch tv since, and am semi-freaking out about third year.

A year from now: hopefully I'll know what I want to do when I grow up, hopefully I'll have the scores to get it, and I'll be writing my personal statement!

A year ago- I was basking in the glory of just graduating high school and getting a sexy new lady friend

A year from now- I will have finished my sophomore year and will start looking for MCAT books to help prepare

A year ago I was watching the World Cup

A year from now I will be watching the Olympics

Why didn't I do this last year?? Lames.

A year ago - just moved to St. Louis and working in an awesome lab and spending all my time with my awesome classmates

Now - same, except that I've been in St. Louis for a year

A year from now - hopefully, I'll have been accepted to the MSTP so I'll have taken the boards and be doing research yet again, making final decisions about what program I want to be in. :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Year Ago: Trying to memorize presidents for APUS History, beginning to look at colleges.

Year From Now: Hopefully enjoying my summer before starting my freshman year in college in Vermont.

Your'e an H.SDNer? Please don't turn out like swissmed...

A year ago: I was frantically calling and emailing every academic hospital setting looking for a doctor to shadow lol

A year from now: I will be chilling out and enjoying every day of summer before med school begins! (omg I hope I get in somewhere....or there'll be no chilling for me! :()

Thanks for updating or adding to this post!

We're officially closed for 2011...

can't wait to see where we are in 2012,

bumping this thread is the only commitment I've been able to keep, sad but true.

A year ago - I was still studying for the MCAT, hadn't started my PS, had only one LOR in hand, and could still sleep through the night.

A year from now - Did I make it through MS1? Sleeping is over rated anyway.
A year ago: Only had time for 3-1/2wks of intense studying and then stepped in front of the STEP train - just a little sting, but clinicals ;-)

(LESS then) A year from now: wow did that go fast!

Last edited:
A year ago: filling out secondaries and anxiously waiting for my first interview invite

A year from now: enjoying my summer break after my first year of med school

A year ago: going through another semester that blends in with all the other ones. Taking a class without knowing why

A year from now: I'll be finishing either Orgo 1 or 2 and looking for a job that will strengthen my application (leaning towards EMT right now)

*personal note to future self: WORK!*

A year ago: tearing it up in Philadelphia during a research internship and studying for my MCAT

A year from now: hopefully tearing it up my last summer before med school while looking at this exact post

A year ago: Hiking in Philmont, managing a successful online business, and prepping for fall semester courses.

Now: EMT, Summer courses in Ecology/Genetics/Genetics Lab, working

A year from now: MCAT, applying to post-bacc/grad programs, working

This is cool!

A year ago; I decided to start my journey into going to med school. Starting pre-reqs and figuring out a plan of attack.

A year from now; I will have submitted my application with hopefully a good mcat score and will be waiting for secondaries and interview invites.

a year ago: going to summer school and trying to finish up classes

a year from now: get a great MCAT score and obtain LOR's and submit applications, waiting for secondaries

A year ago: Deciding on whether I'd attend Harvard or Yale for med school

Now: Waiting on my mcat score, waiting to get verified by amcas, and comfortable going to a top 150 school :laugh:

A year from now: Sippin on some purple drank before starting medical school @ Mt Sinai, maybe UCLA or Harvard if they're lucky.

Last edited:
A year ago: Frantically filling out secondaries so my app would be in 'early'.
A year from now: Finishing up M1 year and hopefully doing something exciting during the summer.

A year ago: I was confused about pursuing medicine or dentistry

A year from now: Racking in them clinical hours/ finding research to be interested in.

Sent from my phone! Blame it on the a-a-autocorrect.

A Year Ago: Misguided

A Year From Now: On Track

I was pretty close! We already moved into the house, the second kid is still baking and I'm going to Temple, my favorite of the three schools where I interviewed. :)

A year ago: Waiting for my stupid AMCAS to verify and working.

A year from now: Enjoying my last real summer vacation. Hopefully, my in-laws keep the offer open to babysit and the hubster and I can go on a cruise BY OURSELVES. *Swoon*

I was spot on last year. I'm taking it easy this summer. My in-laws did watch our kids and my husband and I went on a cruise in June. It was awesome. I'm playing through some video games and I've already read two books, including A Game of Thrones. I'm reading A Clash of Kings now.

A year ago: I was about to quit my job and take a few weeks off before school, including taking a trip down the shore with my husband and daughter. I was also still pretty pregnant.

A year from now: I'll probably be starting my second rotation of third year. Wow that's going to be here fast.

A year ago: I was working 70+ hours a week in my gap year job, desperately yearning to start medical school.

A year from now: I will have (hopefully!!!!!) dominated step 1 and started lab rotations.

A year ago: I was at independence hall in Philadelphia
A year from now: I will be applying to med school!

A year ago: I was taking summer classes and the application cycle wasn't anywhere on my radar.

A year from now: Hopefully getting my acceptance call from UVA.

I have to join in!

A year ago - Finishing off my internship at the medical school in AR. Not quite sure I wanted to be a doctor just yet, i.e. until I left the country and worked in a clinic during an epidemic. Awesome stuff!!! Until I caught it :(

Now - I'm in my research lab waiting on my gels to run and my team and I think we cracked the code to a certain illness :rolleyes: Best part of the summer because honestly I hate research and I want to kill myself being in this lab 40-60hrs a week.

A year from now - No clue! Waiting on secondaries, maybe? Hopefully working in some medically related field because my resume is lacking just a little compared to what I've seen on here.

A year ago: MCAT score received, applications submitted, and about to start my 1-year masters.

Now: Signed a lease on my new apartment, excited for med school orientation and then the beginning of what I've been striving for for as long as I can remember.

A year from now: Completed my first year of med school and hopefully doing something fun in the summer before my second year!

A year ago - I was still studying for the MCAT, hadn't started my PS, had only one LOR in hand, and could still sleep through the night.

A year from now - Did I make it through MS1? Sleeping is over rated anyway.

Well those last few years went by in a blur...

A year ago - heading into match year and wondering if all the effort of the last three years would be enough to overcome the randomness of it all...

A year from now - Starting my advanced program - FINALLY!

(note: I'm bumping a bit early because I'm on vacation until I start my internship (burp). BTW, I couldn't have had a better outcome with this whole med school thing,,, although the process was often crazy - good luck to all!)

A year ago: Fast asleep (It's 9:36 PM now and I had a pretty early bed time)
A year from now: Hopefully watching TV. My favorite show is usually on at 9:30 - 10.

A year ago--studying for physics and looking forward to a summer in Belgium.

A year from now--sitting at home in Houston watching tv. (hopefully with an acceptance in hand.)

A year ago: studying for the MCAT, finishing undergrad, and getting my application ready for submission.

A year from now: finishing MS1 and celebrating the completion of an intense/exciting/wild ride! I will celebrate said accomplishment with endless hours of TV time, family time, and sleep time. Then I will proceed to dread MS2. :D

Strong bump :thumbup:

A year ago - I was just staring my PS and was hating it.

A year from now - Last day as an MS1 :D

Wooow... crazy how those years go by.

A year ago: starting my research elective, gearing up for my sub-I and applying and all that jazz.

A year from now: 3/4 done with intern year :)

A year ago: Hoping I would get a chance to get into any medical school. Pestering LOR writers to complete my letters.

A year from now: Finishing up MS1, getting ready to go on some international trip, beginning step 1 prep.

Exactly a year ago: I was on a medical mission and decided that medicine is for me

A year from now: Hopefully doing research, done with the MCAT, and getting ready to start applying to med school

A Year Ago - Finishing up Orgo 2 and started my Masters

A Year from Now - Hopefully moving to wherever I'll go to Med School.

Alhamdulilah.

Inshallah!

A year ago: Hated everything I did... Was finishing up Gen chem 3 (was on quarters), doing straight birtch work in a psych research lab, awful volunteering at a local hospital, 20 hr/week (including 4a-4p saturdays) at a local private ambulance company.

A year from now: hopefully sitting on a real nice research fellowship that i recently applied to, getting ready to graduate, and getting ready to apply.

A year ago: I was chugging coffee while studying for my last pre-reqs and frantically prepping for the MCAT.

A year from now: I will be chugging Coronas on a Florida beach while enjoying M1 spring break.

A year ago: I was finishing my sophomore year and looking forward to the summer.

A year from now: I did great on my MCAT and aced Orgo! I will graduate from college and start making plans for my new place wherever I end up for medical school. AND I will be pumped for my big post college vacation : )

A year ago: I was enjoying my semester abroad in Europe, and to the date, was probably on Easter break, spending some time in Macedonia. Also dreading my MCAT retake though not while on the break that I can remember, :p.

A year from now: Hopefully enjoying my gap year and making plans for medical school. If I get in somewhere by Christmas break, then hopefully I'll be traveling, :). (iA!)

A year ago: in the thick of things preparing my application. Probably pestering my LoR writers. I also was in Greece this week for Spring Break, IIRC!

A year from now: MS1, hopefully at this point I'll have my study habits and routines well-established and everything is going smoothly. :xf: