A yelp for medical school interview food.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does UNC still have their legendary cookies?? Pretty sure some little old lady was making them from scratch, with love.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
On that note, did anyone try Dean Wofsy's homemade cookies at UCSF? Apparently they are amazing and he only brings them a couple times per cycle.

Western Michigan was top notch. Had the option of grilled salmon and/or good chicken breast, not to mention a big table of side dishes.

Rush University went deep dish Chicago pizza, which was fun to eat while looking out the window at downtown Chicago and the Sears Tower.

That grilled salmon was gross. Never again. Blehhhhhhhhh. Only stuffed it down because I was starving and needed some energy for their interview process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just take the software job.

Please list your best and worst experiences.

WashU: 5/5 stars. Fantastic lunch presentation and the breakfast crepes were out of this world. Pizza was surprisingly decent too, and that's coming from a pizza snob who lived in NYC for a while.

SUNY Downstate: 1/2 out of 5 stars: Dryest sandwich I have ever eaten. I was only able to eat half before my body stopped me from eating any more. The one water bottle I had was barely enough to help wash it down.

Reactions: 6 users
USC (keck): 5/5 We ate in their faculty restaurant, best tasting sandwich I've had on the interview trail hahah. But really it was nice to have actual glass plates, real silverware, glass cups, and a waitress!

The food at Jefferson is awesome. Muffins and such for breakfast, coffee/water/granola bars available all day. Lunch is buffet style and your choice of grilled chicken/grilled salmon/roasted tofu, roasted potatoes and roasted veggies, an excellent salad, and a nice spread of desserts, all served on real china with metal silverware. After the interview day is over, Jeff has cookie hour with a few different types of fresh cookies, coffee, and an opportunity to informally chat with the deans and current students. Definitely gets 5/5. Loyola was good too, anything you wanted from their cafeteria, most of it was pretty standard. But we ate in the cafeteria with everyone else as opposed to the a private dining room at Jeff. VCU had pretty decent chicken wraps. NYMC's lunch was pretty bad, a small tray of deli sandwiches and a communal bowl of potato chips (didn't even go for the individual bags of lay's). Someone told me they interviewed at a school whose lunch consisted of a pot of lukewarm chili with styrofoam bowls and plastic spoons, can't remember which school. Talk about worst interview lunch ever.

I always joke to my friends that, if I ever make any money as a doctor, I'm not donating to my own med school, but to Jefferson, for having given me the best meal I had in weeks.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with all of the washU posters...5/5!!! The lasagna was great...and the breakfast was awesome too!!!!! Man oh man...

U of U Great food tons of selection options, great even though the student ambassadors were clinically antisocial 5/5
Oklahoma St - Catered, food was really good but it was heavy food that made you tired 4.5/5
DMU - Cheaper version of U of U, more limited choices but still amazing 4/5
Touro CA - Gross wraps and the nasty red apples that nobody likes 0.1/5

Reactions: 1 users
Does UNC still have their legendary cookies?? Pretty sure some little old lady was making them from scratch, with love.
Yes omg. I wanted to eat them all but I stopped myself after the one.

Real question guys: Are the medical schools that provide wraps supplied by a central catering company, because they taste the same everywhere?

Houston's was my favorite, by far. A make your own fajita bar, followed by the most delicious chocolate cake I have ever tasted. Seriously, I still dream about that cake. The only downside was that everyone seemed to be in a food coma afterwards, and we had afternoon interviews.

The vegetarian option always fails to impress.

Please list your best and worst experiences.

WashU: 5/5 stars. Fantastic lunch presentation and the breakfast crepes were out of this world. Pizza was surprisingly decent too, and that's coming from a pizza snob who lived in NYC for a while.

SUNY Downstate: 1/2 out of 5 stars: Dryest sandwich I have ever eaten. I was only able to eat half before my body stopped me from eating any more. The one water bottle I had was barely enough to help wash it down.

UTSW: 5/5 for the BBQ

Baylor: 1/5 for a cruddy 5-cent sandwhich that tasted like moldy cardboard

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
SUNY Upstate 4/5 - a huge salad and raviolis and ziti

University of Arizona (Tuscon) 5/5 - the most delicious taco salad and beans I have ever eaten in my life. And it was huge. It kept me full all the way through my flight home haha

Quinnipiac 5/5 : clutch panera lunch that i was not expecting.

SUNY Downstate 3/5: for generic wraps and chips with a tiny water bottle.

West Virginia 4/5: same as downstate but they had a giant delicious cookie so + 1 for that.

UAZ-Phoenix was cool because they sent us a menu to order off of ahead of time for lunch. The breakfast was also very good with several options.

Pitt gave us a make your own burger bar (including chicken breasts, veggie burgers, and roasted vegetables).

USF ordered a bunch of Panera. Good stuff!

Drexel: Nice, we got food from the cafeteria
WVU: tasty cookies, i eat very plain food and my sandwich had like lettuce and tomatoes and some sauce in it which killed it for me
FIU: similar to wvu. dry cookie though. pls accept me
Creighton: great, homemade lasagna with yum cookies and tea :)

Three of the four places had the standard deli sandwich + chips + cookies + salad, which wasn't bad but nothing spectacular either.

Einstein had grilled chicken, rice, salad, fruit, and dessert, which I thought was really good.
Interesting when I interviewed at Einstein they had kosher deli style sandwiches and wraps which were really good. Dessert was just generic grocery store cookies.

LUCOM: 4/5 had BBQ chicken with bacon and cheese catered from Ruby Tuesday's.

LMU-DCOM: 3/5 generic lunchroom food served by disgruntled lunch ladies. +1 because we got to eat in the "Lincoln Room". Nothing like eating a turkey wrap while in a room full of Abraham Lincoln pictures and statues. Lol it actually wasn't bad.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Tossup between UVA/Georgetown. Custom/ high end buffet w desserts, and/or catered (really nice) food and one of the biggest creme brulees i've had, top notch stuff. Stuffed myself before the interviews w/ no regrets and performed best at these schools too.
I really love sweet desserts and I wish I can have these lunches again...

Worst: NJMS... some ****ty sandwiches and a soda + a talk with a 2nd year who seemed pretty crushed ... yeah not the best lunch I've had unfortunately

They may have been cider donuts . I grew up a mile from a cider mill in VT and i've never seen anyone dip their donut into the cider, did they instruct people to do so? Or did one person do it and it caught on?

These are very important questions.
Might have been the latter honestly... :laugh:

Last edited:
LUCOM: 4/5 had BBQ chicken with bacon and cheese catered from Ruby Tuesday's.

LMU-DCOM: 3/5 generic lunchroom food served by disgruntled lunch ladies. +1 because we got to eat in the "Lincoln Room". Nothing like eating a turkey wrap while in a room full of Abraham Lincoln pictures and statues. Lol it actually wasn't bad.

Disgruntled lunch ladies :laugh:

Dang I didn't know schools did anything besides wraps with a cookie and chips before this thread. Clearly should have applied to Wash U!

Tulane had these amazing sausages and I was very impressed with their food.

Went on a date later that night with this beautiful woman. On our uber ride home I was holding her hand so hard as the diarrhea built up. She looked at me and asked, "are you ok?" and I replied "I may be known as the man you met on Tinder that ****s himself on our date. Remember me."

I made it, but just barely.

Reactions: 7 users
UofA Tucson had an amazing spread of Mexican food. There was also pink prickly pear lemonade! 10/10 would eat again and again... and again.

Mannnn I'm referring back to this thread if I have to apply next cycle lmao RFU was 3/5. Basic pasta/salad/cookie

Really hoping I get off the waitlist for UA-Tuscon because I could go for quality Mexican food lol

I don't like sandwiches or wraps. I'm going to hate the next few months, aren't I

I don't like sandwiches or wraps. I'm going to hate the next few months, aren't I
Just eat pre interview lol check this thread first to see what the university will serve too hahaha

University of Central Florida's lunch was really good, by far the best chicken breast I've ever had :') my mouth waters up still! It was the most juiciest chicken breast i've had in my life <3

Jefferson discovered the way to my heart a little too easily...

I have to comment about NYIT-COM's lunch boxes. I believe it was a cookie, a small bag of chips, and a TINY (not understating) wrap. It was probably half the length of a typical bottle of water and even less in terms of thickness.

I thought top MD schools would have the best lunches for some reason....nope. The new DO school, BCOM, takes the cake. Catered hot food, with servers, in the football box on the top floor. The food was insultingly good! I cried a little...

I thought top MD schools would have the best lunches for some reason....nope. The new DO school, BCOM, takes the cake. Catered hot food, with servers, in the football box on the top floor. The food was insultingly good! I cried a little...
Us New Mexicans know how to eat. Although I should be biased toward Albuquerque, Cruces has amazing food.

Dang I didn't know schools did anything besides wraps with a cookie and chips before this thread. Clearly should have applied to Wash U!
Dude, we got steak when I was interviewing at WashU.

Me reading these comments meanwhile, I was impressed by the Panera sandwiches offered for my FIU interview lol.

This has nothing to do with the people and everything to do with the depths of an institution's pockets. What does the quality of catered food have to do with people cooking and how nice they are?

Just wait until people blow $1200 on 10 applicants on lunch... Seen it...

Well, University of Illinois provided us with pretty awesome food (my interview day was burritos, I think another day it was deep dish pizza) and God knows Illinois public schools are broke af.

Well, University of Illinois provided us with pretty awesome food (my interview day was burritos, I think another day it was deep dish pizza) and God knows Illinois public schools are broke af.

+1 That food was great!

sinai had an incredible breakfast spread of parfait, pastries, bagels etc

then lunch was the usual catered sandwhiches/wraps but also we were allowed to have this bangin mexican food that was available to all their students because it was a special week in their curriculum

I literally came to this thread just to promote bcom's food. Hell, las cruces food in general was worth the trip! All the other DO schools give you the equivalent of an off brand subway sandwich with maybe some chips and a cookie or something.

I literally came to this thread just to promote bcom's food. Hell, las cruces food in general was worth the trip! All the other DO schools give you the equivalent of an off brand subway sandwich with maybe some chips and a cookie or something.

The MD schools did that BS too. Man I stay bragging on BCOM food. The entire set up was great

UIW had catered BBQ. pretty good stuff if you don't mind the gaining 10 pounds per annum.

If any school employees are lurking i'll give you a pro tip: if a school offered Lox, they would have to call security or give me an acceptance before I left.

Turkey Thursdays at Dartmouth-Hitchcock. No other day is worth missing it tbh

I interviewed on Diversity Day at Cincinnati and they treated us to a three course dinner the night before at a 4 or 5 star restaurant with a nice view. I had the salad, grilled salmon with asparagus, and creme brûlée for desert. Definitely 5/5