AA (anesthesiologist assistant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starsweet

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So maybe I should post this in a different forum but I thought someone here would know. I was having dinner with a friend who's in med school and she mentioned that one of the girls from our hometown is in AA school to be an Anesthesiologist Assistant. She said that after graduating, she can make $165,000 in Columbus, GA. Granted, it's definitely not my dream city, but doesn't that seem excessively high? I thought that they always worked under anesthesiologists and therefore their salaries were determined by them but I didn't think they were that high. Also, I thought AAs could only work in certain states (only a few if I remember correctly). I'm just curious because I looked into several health care professions before deciding on pharmacy and didn't really find out much about AAs.

Members don't see this ad.

I guessing your friend was referring to a CRNA or Certified Nurse Anesthetist. Yep, they make a lot of money. The figure you mention sounds about right. They typically work under the supervision of an M.D. At the hospital I work at we also have Anesthesiology Techs, I doubt they make that much though.

Incredibly, highly competitive to get into right? BS+2 years of AA school and only 3 schools accredited? If that's all true, 100k+ sounds good due to supply and demand.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it kinda interested me when I found out about the CRNA. Extreme shortage, high pay. Salary reported in a survey to top out at $180K (with average starting at $100K+) - that's more than some physicians!

Reqs are BSN or other BS with current nursing license & 1 yr exp in acute nursing position to apply for the 2 yr CRNA program (equivalent to Master's).

ButlerPharm.D. said:
I guessing your friend was referring to a CRNA or Certified Nurse Anesthetist. Yep, they make a lot of money. The figure you mention sounds about right. They typically work under the supervision of an M.D. At the hospital I work at we also have Anesthesiology Techs, I doubt they make that much though.

CRNA and AA are not the same.

Emory has an AA program that is housed the in School of Medicine anes. department. To me, it looks like AA = PA (except that they are specifically trained for Anes). It's a masters program which pre-reqs that are similar to premed. It looks like AA's can only practice in 14 states.

Emory AA program info

CRNA programs are usually housed in colleges of nursing. It is also a two year masters program, but I think you have to have a prior nursing degree (or be able to attain one before enrolling) and one year of critical care nursing experience. As far as I know, CRNA's can practice in all 50 states, but I'm not sure about that.

I have a friend who is a CRNA and she does make a lot of money, but not as much as the OP mentioned.

Hmm, my friend did mention the CRNA thing too, but the girl we know is actually in the AA program at South University. She got her BS in Engineering like me. If AA and CRNA are not the same thing, I'm wondering how she thought she could get that kind of salary? I think I need to talk to her again.

Oh, I might be wrong, but I don't think it was incredibly difficult for her to get into the AA program at South.

PILLMAN said:
Yeah, it kinda interested me when I found out about the CRNA. Extreme shortage, high pay. Salary reported in a survey to top out at $180K (with average starting at $100K+) - that's more than some physicians!

Reqs are BSN or other BS with current nursing license & 1 yr exp in acute nursing position to apply for the 2 yr CRNA program (equivalent to Master's).

CRNA was my plan when I returned to school. I knew I wanted to do something in health care and I think anesthesia is a fascinating area. In the back of my mind, I knew I really wanted to be a pharmacist though. Once I really thought about the time commitment for CRNA, and thought about all the crappy things I'd have to do as a nurse during my one or two years post-bacc, I realized that becoming a pharmacist was doable and also a better choice for me.

Maybe I can find a niche in anesthesia? I'll have to look into that.

twester said:
CRNA was my plan when I returned to school. I knew I wanted to do something in health care and I think anesthesia is a fascinating area. In the back of my mind, I knew I really wanted to be a pharmacist though. Once I really thought about the time commitment for CRNA, and thought about all the crappy things I'd have to do as a nurse during my one or two years post-bacc, I realized that becoming a pharmacist was doable and also a better choice for me.

Maybe I can find a niche in anesthesia? I'll have to look into that.

Not anesthesia specifically, but OR pharmacy is a big area within the field of pharmacy.

All4MyDaughter said:
CRNA and AA are not the same.

Emory has an AA program that is housed the in School of Medicine anes. department. To me, it looks like AA = PA (except that they are specifically trained for Anes). It's a masters program which pre-reqs that are similar to premed. It looks like AA's can only practice in 14 states.

Emory AA program info

CRNA programs are usually housed in colleges of nursing. It is also a two year masters program, but I think you have to have a prior nursing degree (or be able to attain one before enrolling) and one year of critical care nursing experience. As far as I know, CRNA's can practice in all 50 states, but I'm not sure about that.

I have a friend who is a CRNA and she does make a lot of money, but not as much as the OP mentioned.
\
$180 is doable for CRNA's I know of ones that made 200+, but you have to work a lot of overtime. CRNA doing 80+ hours a week can make that kind of cash.

tupac_don said:
\
$180 is doable for CRNA's I know of ones that made 200+, but you have to work a lot of overtime. CRNA doing 80+ hours a week can make that kind of cash.

My friend works 3 days a week - 36 hours and makes six figures. So yeah, I could see pulling 180-200 if you are working 80 or more hours. I wouldn't want to work that much, but to each his own.

CRNA's /AA's function similar in states that allow AA practice. Caution only about 14 states liscense AA's. CRNA's practice in all states and in the millitary and have been around for over 100yrs.

For an idea of salary ranges in your part of the country checkout www.gaswork.com.

The more rural where there is high demand the more you can make.

Starsweet,

Great to see another C-town native on the forum! :thumbup: What part of Columbus are you from? I'm 18 and about to be a freshman this fall at CSU; graduated from Northside (opened 4 years ago). I live in the Midland area (heading out towards Harris County -- or, as us kids lovingly refer to it nowadays, "du'countruh").

I'm debating on whether to start my BSN here at CSU or go for the pre-med/dental/pharmacy (basically the same thing!) courseplan. I'm planning on transferring after two years, though.

Sorry for swerving the thread off-topic...it was just surprising/refreshing to catch a post from a hometown alumni.
~Henry

Sorry Henry, I'm actually not from Columbus, I'm from Augusta. :) I guess my post was a little confusing, the girl I mentioned wanted to move out to Columbus from Augusta to get that kind of salary.

Members don't see this ad :)
From the looks of it, here are the differences;

What are the differences between Nurse Anesthetists (NAs) and AAs?

Although both are considered by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) to be mid-level anesthesia providers, and both may serve as physician extenders in the delivery of anesthesia, AAs and NAs are very different with regard to their educational background. According to the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs, a typical applicant to an NA program must have attained a bachelor’s degree in either nursing or another appropriate area. Until recently, nurses with only an associate’s degree in nursing also were accepted. Additionally, the applicant must be licensed to practice as a registered nurse and take either the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) prior to matriculation. Finally, one year of nursing experience is required in an “acute care setting.”

In order to be admitted to an AA program, the applicant must have achieved a bachelor’s degree with prescribed prerequisites, these being premedical course work in general and organic chemistry, advanced college math, general and advanced biology, and physics. Applicants must then take either the (MCAT) or the (GRE). Although many applicants are from allied health backgrounds such as respiratory therapy and emergency medical technology, and have many years of clinical experience, a clinical background is not an absolute requirement if academic background is of sufficient course content and quality. Nurses who have met the prerequisites may be admitted to AA programs.

NA training programs must include a minimum of 24 months in a Master’s level program accredited by the COA. The training programs may be based at any college or university offering a Master’s level degree. Many nurse anesthetists do not possess a Master’s degree as this was not required until 1998. Nurse anesthetist programs do not require involvement of a medical school or academic physician faculty. Community hospitals may serve as main clinical sites. A minimum of 450 hours of classroom/laboratory education, 800 hours of clinical anesthesia education, and administration of 450 anesthetics, including all types of surgery, must be achieved for the student to successfully complete the training program.

AA training programs must include a minimum of 24 months in a Master’s level program accredited by the Commission for the Accreditation of Allied Health Educational Programs (CAAHEP). The programs must be based at, or in collaboration with, a university that has a medical school and academic anesthesiologist physician faculty. Main clinical sites must be academic medical centers. An average of 600 hours of classroom/laboratory education, 2600 hours of clinical anesthesia education, and more than 600 anesthetics administered, including all types of surgery, are required to successfully complete AA training.

Upon completion of an accredited nurse anesthetist program, a student may become certified by passing the Council for Certification of Nurse Anesthetists certification exam. This examination is an adaptive computer examination consisting of 90-160 questions. Forty hours of approved Continuing Education Units (CEU) are required every two years in order to recertify. To be recertified, nurse anesthetists do not take an additional exam.

Upon completion of an accredited AA program, a student may become certified by passing the NCCAA examination, which is co-validated by the National Board of Medical Examiners. This six-hour examination is administered in a classroom and consists of 200 questions. In order to re-certify, an AA must complete 40 hours of CME every two years. Additionally, AAs must take the Continuing Demonstration of Qualification Exam every six years. This exam follows the same format as the initial certification exam.

What is the origin of the anesthesiologist assistant profession?

In the 1960s, three anesthesiologists, Joachim S. Gravenstein, John E. Steinhaus, and Perry P. Volpitto, were concerned with the shortage of anesthesiologists in the country. After studying the educational pathway for anesthesiologists and nurse anesthetists (NAs), they created a new educational paradigm for a mid-level anesthesia practitioner that included a pre-med background in college. This person would perform the same job as the NA but would be readily able to go on to medical school if appropriate. This new professional, the anesthesiologist assistant, or AA, thus had the potential to alleviate the shortage of anesthesiologists. The concept became reality in 1969 when the first AA training program began accepting students at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia, followed shortly thereafter by a second program at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio.

DOES THIS MEAN AFTER AA, I COULD GO TO MED SCHOOL FOR ANOTHER 4 YEARS PLUS RESIDENCY? Can't I do that as well with a MSN in Anesthesiology and do the four years plus residency to become an MDA?

ONLY major diferrence is that AA's must work under supervision, for now, which makes CRNA's more marketable.

Wow, old thread.

I think the duties of an anesthesia assistant vary greatly from state to state. I was an anesthesia assistant for my first two years of pharmacy school in Oregon. It was on-the-job training and I pulled in an impressive $12 an hour.

\

If u r up to 80 hours a week, u can easily make 200K as a pharmacist. A friend of mine who just graduated signed for, I think, 53$/h. anyway, he said he should be making about 122k/year with an extra shift every other week. So basically 122K for 44h/week. So 80h would be 221K. There u go your 200 big ones!

If u r up to 80 hours a week, u can easily make 200K as a pharmacist. A friend of mine who just graduated signed for, I think, 53$/h. anyway, he said he should be making about 122k/year with an extra shift every other week. So basically 122K for 44h/week. So 80h would be 221K. There u go your 200 big ones!

Maybe, but WHO in the hell wants to work that much?!?!?!????????????

anyone who wants to be able to buy a decent house....:idea:

yeah thats totally true. However in the Chi town, i was looking at lofts with my mom in the developing south loop area; and i was shocked. Basically, you need a 150K income to begin looking at any decent piece of real estate there. Its kind sad, but its a great investment if you can pull it off. Hey check our gaswork.com -> other and itll show you the AA and CRNA jobs. Its kinda interesting the amount of money non-MDs are making...it kinda makes you wonder....

Yeah, it does make you wonder. What is the average starting salary for an AA? I'm guessing they're more or less equal to those of CRNAs.

Whoever said that about needing to earn $150k minimum to qualify for a mortgage on a decent house, I know where you are coming from. Where I live, "nice" houses start at at least $550k -- and that's for a one-story, one-acre lot.

This will make you sick:

http://homes.realtor.com/search/lis...7a13ff281&pg=2&lid=1077708474&lsn=12&srcnt=12

http://homes.realtor.com/search/lis...bb212972894a750&lid=1085058841&lsn=3&srcnt=12

If these homes are the new "$600k-700k standard," then we're going to have to make 250k just to afford a "nice" house that stands out from the rest...

Yeah, it does make you wonder. What is the average starting salary for an AA? I'm guessing they're more or less equal to those of CRNAs.

Whoever said that about needing to earn $150k minimum to qualify for a mortgage on a decent house, I know where you are coming from. Where I live, "nice" houses start at at least $550k -- and that's for a one-story, one-acre lot.

This will make you sick:

http://homes.realtor.com/search/lis...7a13ff281&pg=2&lid=1077708474&lsn=12&srcnt=12

http://homes.realtor.com/search/lis...bb212972894a750&lid=1085058841&lsn=3&srcnt=12

If these homes are the new "$600k-700k standard," then we're going to have to make 250k just to afford a "nice" house that stands out from the rest...

that house is beautiful :love:

In NYC,one studio can average a million or more, so yes, 750k is a great deal!!! 750k here in terms of house wise probably gets you a small house with no garage in the suburbs. . . if you are lucky.

Wow...I'm going to have to become a brain surgeon just to afford a decent house! In my opinion, those houses in the links I posted are NOT $700k-quality houses. Also, keep in mind that this is a Georgia city of maybe 350k people; it's at least an hour and a half south of Atlanta. Are houses really getting this expensive???

I guess this blog is a bit old, but it is definitely an anesthesiologist assistant working in Columbus. I'm an AA-C in Savannah, although I graduated from Case Western Reserve in Cleveland. The salary is accurate, our work is stressful, we deal with critically ill patients frequently, and sometimes have little or no time to spend with our patients before we 'sleep' them. Unfortunately, South is a relatively new program and they are catering to the needs of anesthesia in this country, which means more providers, less qualified candidates. However, I for one make sure the training is as strong as possible, and the students do work hard, and they do see a lot of variety. Hey anesthesiologists make 400K +. If they can sit around half the day and drink coffee, then we should be entitled to 165K to work a demanding 10+ hour shift, sometimes with no break. Also, that may be a 1099 paycheck...no vacation included and no benefits...just depends how the group wants to list the job!! I knew nothing about AAs when I was in undergrad at Texas A&M...the opportunity literally fell in my lap. However, it is the greatest job in the world. I wouldn't give it up for anything!

By the way, anesthesiologist assistants are NOT anesthesia techs (who turn the rooms over and stock them). In certain states where med professionals are unaware of us, these two job names are frequently confused!

So, I'm interested in becoming an AA and I just wanted to here from those who are one or in the process of becoming one. Does anyone have any advice about the profession? The pros and cons? How is the salary after graduating, the work load, and the average debt of students?

So, I'm interested in becoming an AA and I just wanted to here from those who are one or in the process of becoming one. Does anyone have any advice about the profession? The pros and cons? How is the salary after graduating, the work load, and the average debt of students?

dude - this is the pharmacy forum. Not anesthesia.

dude - this is the pharmacy forum. Not anesthesia.

yeah... but some of my classmates thought about switching to this field.. less loan, less time, more money. It is legitimate to talk about when some pharm students are considering other options.

yeah... but some of my classmates thought about switching to this field.. less loan, less time, more money. It is legitimate to talk about when some pharm students are considering other options.
The one who asked the question is a Pre-med however.