AACOMAS never released my application to schools.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aakk9323

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

My application was verified Jul 3, and it is now almost October. I had not received any secondary applications yet, so I decided to call AACOMAS. Turns out, they never released my application to the medical schools I listed due to their own error (everything was turned in and complete by Jun 13th). I am not a super strong applicant, which is why I applied as early as possible. Now that my application is being submitted super late by them, what is the best course of action I can take. Will they be able to compensate for this in any manner? Or is this something that happens all the time? I am really frustrated because of this and really lost for what to do, I was hoping I wouldn't have to take a year off or reapply (financial reasons and stuff) but this is really scaring me right now. Let me know what your thoughts are.

Edit: They called a few minutes ago and said that they will send the applications tomorrow and a manager will call each school and explain the situation. Does this put me in any better of a position or not really?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That sounds horrible. I called them last week because there was a glitch with my application and they were very rude to me. They also told me that I would have to verify with each school that my application was showing everything which makes me think that they think we are responsible for everything.

I don't even know what to think... they said the same thing to me. "glitch".

Members don't see this ad :)
Try going to the online support and email them. They were much more helpful to me than the person on the phone. Also read the manual see if there is anything you can do regarding that

Because they have someone specifically calling for you, that is good news. They are helping you out on that one.

Otherwise, just chalk it up to fate or whatever, if it meant to be, it is meant to be. If you dont get in this cycle because of it (which I do think you will will do fine, its not that late), trust that it is for a reason you cannot comprehend. Sounds mystical or whatever, but truly, you never know why things happen the way that they do, yet it all happens for a reason.

Reactions: 1 user
I hate aacomas at this point. They messed up the verification for my application and when I called and proved that what they were saying was false, they just became rude and argumentative.

I cant believe a simple service can be screwed up so much and so often.

Ugh. They need to create one portal where we can apply to both allopathic and osteopathic schools, or at least a tool to port information between the two systems. It'd make life so much easier.

So sorry this happened to you, sounds awful. It's definitely a good thing though that they have someone call on your behalf. My guess is that they will ask each school to put your application at the very beginning on the queue for review. I doubt they can "force" anyone to give you priority but I would think that most schools will be sympathetic to your situation.

Also -- it's not that late yet. I'm still waiting for my primary to be verified. It's a bit scary looking at some threads and seeing people already getting accepted but I believe there is still time. And people get acceptances to multiple schools, pick a school, withdraw the rest of the acceptances/interviews, more slots free up, etc.

Sorry this happened. It sounds really disheartening.

Glitches do happen. The logistical challenge of managing the applications of SO many students every year has to be daunting. I only point this out as a reminder that this wasn't something personal. It was a setback, but one that can be overcome.

The season isn't nearly over. Having AACOMAS call schools individually to explain your extenuating circumstances will help make up for the damage. It means that your file is more likely to get a bit of special treatment by admissions departments. They all know what a big deal this is, and they will feel sympathy for you. Even a little of that can be an advantage. Maybe more than enough to balance out the effect of the error.

Set backs happen in medicine. Showing that you have the grace and composure to recover from them will demonstrate to adcoms that you will be a good physician and an excellent addition to their student body.

There's nothing you can do now in terms of getting your app in. Them calling the schools is helpful. At this point just be sure to contact schools and make sure they all get your app. Its still early, so it might be fine.

Now as far as AACOMAS goes, this is terrible. Its literally months later, and it was completely their fault. Be sure you don't sign or agree to anything from them saying you won't sue or something. My guess is that if you don't get in anywhere, you might be able to get them to offer you a free (or at least reduced) reapplication next cycle to all the schools you applied to this cycle.

I doubt they will refund you money, but if you do get in somewhere, maybe you can push for it a little (why not?). Either way, don't just let it go. It needs to be clear this was not OK, and companies/organizations only get that when something hurts their wallets. Glitches happen, but sending schools your app when they say they will is pretty much their whole purpose, so there should be better QC that prevents something like this from happening

Also, to be clear, I'm not saying any mistake AACOMAS makes should warrant a response, but this was a big one. AACOMAS made 2 mistakes on my app (2 cycles ago) that resulted in schools getting an app with significantly lower GPAs. In each instance, my real/fixed app was delayed 1 week for getting to schools. That (2wks) wasn't a big deal. 3 months is a big deal.

Last edited:
They are pretty clear that it is up to you to ensure that schools actually get your app. When you submit, they instruct you to follow up with the schools in a few days to ensure that they received your application. When you didn't hear from schools months ago, that would have been your clue to follow up.

You can be sure that something you have already signed releases them from being sued for problems like this, and that you aren't going to recover any damages if you try it. Otherwise, they would be sued out of existence four times per cycle by people who were angry with them about one issue or another.

I'm not trying to blame OP for not being more proactive. This is a long, difficult, and confusing process, and if it is your first time through it, it is hard to know when to push and when to sit back and wait for something to happen. Rather, I am saying that, although AACOMAS does provide instructions to students to confirm that their application has been delivered to schools, they are still taking responsibility for the glitch and going above and beyond to help the OP by calling the schools on OP's behalf. That is mighty decent of them. Might want to appreciate that.

Sorry this happened. It sounds really disheartening.

Glitches do happen. The logistical challenge of managing the applications of SO many students every year has to be daunting. I only point this out as a reminder that this wasn't something personal. It was a setback, but one that can be overcome.

The season isn't nearly over. Having AACOMAS call schools individually to explain your extenuating circumstances will help make up for the damage. It means that your file is more likely to get a bit of special treatment by admissions departments. They all know what a big deal this is, and they will feel sympathy for you. Even a little of that can be an advantage. Maybe more than enough to balance out the effect of the error.

Set backs happen in medicine. Showing that you have the grace and composure to recover from them will demonstrate to adcoms that you will be a good physician and an excellent addition to their student body.

really? because AACOMAS has had multiple glitches (not marking received transcripts, lecom-b pre-req glitch, app releasing glitch, and other random ones) while AMCAS has been able to:
-handle a MUCH larger volume of applications without any glitches
-with double the verification speed
-letter service included
-and a lower cost

Sounds like somebody forgot to click a button. I give them credit for being honest.

(ERAS - the Electronic Residency Application Service - was unusable on opening day a couple of weeks ago. It was like healthcare.gov redux.)

really? because AACOMAS has had multiple glitches (not marking received transcripts, lecom-b pre-req glitch, app releasing glitch, and other random ones) while AMCAS has been able to:
-letter service included
-and a lower cost

Actually, AMCAS screwed up the verification process for my application so royally this cycle that I decided not to continue trying to work it out with them. They were so rude and unhelpful when I contacted them about it, and I was already leaning toward DO schools anyhow, so I withdrew my AMCAS app entirely.

One of the problems originated with an error on a transcript that was sent to both services. AMCAS refused to work with me while AACOMAS was happy to help me sort it out.

Your experience may have been different, and that is wonderful. But even in AMCAS, glitches do happen.

AMCAS does offer a letter service, but it caps the number of letters you can have on file, unlike Interfolio, which is only $15/year and lets you keep letters for use in future years or other purposes. The price difference between the two services is not really that much, in the grand scheme of things, and verification gets backed up at both services. You clearly have a preference, but that doesn't really pertain to this situation since it doesn't help the OP at all and no one gets to pick which service they want to use. You use the one(s) attached to the schools to which you are applying, or else you don't get to apply to those schools.

-letter service included
-and a lower cost
The LECOM-Bradenton glitch also affected LECOM-Erie. I complained to AACOMAS about the problem, they told me I didn't know what I was talking about and needed to check the requirements, then they admitted there was a problem and said it would be corrected systemically. That was a week ago and it still is not correct on my screen.