AACOMAS re-take equivalency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daddo1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've attempted to search high and low for an answer on the forum/internet to no avail. If you have a link to something answering my question thanks!

I have a bachelor's degree from University of Phoenix(online) and need to re-take some courses to improve GPA. I do NOT want to re-take them at Phoenix, I would like to take them either at a community college or local university. They are going to be general courses; business, boring 100, boring 200, etc. How do I make sure the 're-takes' I'm doing are going to be considered 'equivalent' to the original courses?

Judging by some responses I've seen, I may just have to call them and ask but..

Any help is appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Why are you re-taking classes that are not science pre-req's? No one really cares about those. Also, how can you have an online degree and have science pre-req's that require the lab component? You just need to be sure that the classes you retake are the same level and credit equivalents for grade replacement.

Why are you re-taking classes that are not science pre-req's? No one really cares about those. Also, how can you have an online degree and have science pre-req's that require the lab component? You just need to be sure that the classes you retake are the same level and credit equivalents for grade replacement.

I did not take any science pre-reqs online. Will be taking them at a conventional school, likely either Loyola Chicago, Dominican University or Northwestern. My overall GPA is 2.7 so I was considering re-taking 4-5 classes that were C/D to improve that. My current science GPA is around 3.3 with 17 credit hours at community college(A&P, BIO I, Micro, Chem I). Haven't taken BIO II, CHEM II, PHY I or II, ORGO I or II.

I was told by some people on the board it may be a good idea to re-take some of those general classes I received C/D in, but do you think I should forego that and just complete the required sciences and then some?(maybe immunology, biochem, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not take any science pre-reqs online. Will be taking them at a conventional school, likely either Loyola Chicago, Dominican University or Northwestern. My overall GPA is 2.7 so I was considering re-taking 4-5 classes that were C/D to improve that. My current science GPA is around 3.3 with 17 credit hours at community college(A&P, BIO I, Micro, Chem I). Haven't taken BIO II, CHEM II, PHY I or II, ORGO I or II.

I was told by some people on the board it may be a good idea to re-take some of those general classes I received C/D in, but do you think I should forego that and just complete the required sciences and then some?(maybe immunology, biochem, etc.)
Look at GORO's reply regarding the non-science classes. His advise is the most golden here. Don't waste time and money bringing up non requirement classes. That is the past that doesn't matter. When you are in the position of doing post back, it is the current classes and GPA that matter. You cannot bring up an overall GPA with 100's of credit hours. Just isn't worth the effort.

Look at GORO's reply regarding the non-science classes. His advise is the most golden here. Don't waste time and money bringing up non requirement classes. That is the past that doesn't matter. When you are in the position of doing post back, it is the current classes and GPA that matter. You cannot bring up an overall GPA with 100's of credit hours. Just isn't worth the effort.

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking it might not be worth the effort to re-take, but obviously I've done things wrong in the past and want to do everything from here on out right. I appreciate it!

Also, how can you have an online degree and have science pre-req's that require the lab component? You just need to be sure that the classes you retake are the same level and credit equivalents for grade replacement.

They actually have lab kits to perform the lab components at home. A few companies sell them now. Most large colleges have online courses with labs. I've completed a couple with lab components. One was a repeat. The lab component was virtually the exact same thing I took in the face to face class. The biggest difference was that I had no one there to help me if I got confused. I had to teach myself how to do everything. I had to calibrate instruments, work with flames, various setups and chemicals by the directions and pictures. Obviously I wasn't doing any work with expensive machinery, but other than that, everything was the exact same and illustrated the exact same concept. It was just not the same as having a lab instructor with you.

The "lecture" portion of class itself was more rigorous. It's considerably harder. It can be done, however. It was pretty easy for me, because, as a teacher, I taught high school chemistry classes before and set up labs. The thing is, you have to be very self-motivated and organized. Otherwise, you won't complete it.