AACPM has stats up now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsrimport

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Check out

http://www.aacpm.org/

They have statistics now of applicants and matriculants.

Members don't see this ad.

gsrimport said:
Check out

http://www.aacpm.org/

They have statistics now of applicants and matriculants.

Interesting.

If the average MCAT score is 21 and NYCPMs is about a 21 then there must be some schools out there accepting students with worse scores than NYCPM. Because to get an average there are always above and below average points.

Members don't see this ad :)
krabmas said:
Interesting.

If the average MCAT score is 21 and NYCPMs is about a 21 then there must be some schools out there accepting students with worse scores than NYCPM. Because to get an average there are always above and below average points.

Wow. That's REALLY low.

But you know, I'm confident that the admissions criteria will go up as more people discover podiatry. Podiatry truly is, as someone else mentioned, a 'sleeper' career that many people don't know much about. As a result there are relatively few applicants compared to other health professions schools and standards for getting in are lower.

I'm sure that as more people look at podiatry and realize what a terrific career choice it is, there will be a larger number of applicants and MCAT and GPA requirements are bound to go up.

JustMyLuck said:
Wow. That's REALLY low.

But you know, I'm confident that the admissions criteria will go up as more people discover podiatry. Podiatry truly is, as someone else mentioned, a 'sleeper' career that many people don't know much about. As a result there are relatively few applicants compared to other health professions schools and standards for getting in are lower.

I'm sure that as more people look at podiatry and realize what a terrific career choice it is, there will be a larger number of applicants and MCAT and GPA requirements are bound to go up.

what is really low? The MCAT score of 21 average or that there are schools lower than NYCPM?

krabmas said:
what is really low? The MCAT score of 21 average or that there are schools lower than NYCPM?

The average of 21 is really low, considering you cannot get into most MD programs without a score in the high 20's.

I think the best thing to do right now is just implement a minimum MCAT score of 18. This score should get you no where though. The average MCAT would be bumped up if a minimum was established since there won't be people with below 18 applying or being accepted. Then when more qualified applicants apply and more people become more knowledgable about the field, the minimum should be bumped up again. I also think there should be a 3.0 minimum GPA.

The recommended MCAT should be 21+ in order to be considered for interview (stats wise) unless you have a very very strong GPA.

if the stats are this low to get into the school how do those kids that are accepted with low stats handle the school load and the curriculum of podiatry school. Or is there also a high drop rate? Or is the curriculum easy. I'm a predent and i'm considering changing to podiatry.

JustMyLuck said:
Wow. That's REALLY low.

I agree MD has reached its peak, Dental is about to reach its peak in a few years and in 5-10 years POD will be next.

teefRcool said:
I agree MD has reached its peak, Dental is about to reach its peak in a few years and in 5-10 years POD will be next.

That is if schools continue to keep the class sizes small.

teefRcool said:
if the stats are this low to get into the school how do those kids that are accepted with low stats handle the school load and the curriculum of podiatry school. Or is there also a high drop rate? Or is the curriculum easy. I'm a predent and i'm considering changing to podiatry.

Or is there also a high drop rate?

~20% of my starting class was not continuing with up after the first year.
A couple left to do other things, deciding podiatry wasn't really what they wanted to do. One transfered to another Pod school. Some left becuase they couldn't keep up with the courseload. The majority just had problems with one or a few classes and were able to make those up during the following year, joining the class behind us with a partial first year load.

Offhand I would say that my class probably had a higher than 21 MCAT average. (Mine was 28, and I graduated right in the middle of my class.)

It ain't all about the numbers.