AACPMAS 2015-2016 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed at Western on Monday and drove back home (6 hours of fun) that very night. Flew out Tuesday morning to NYCPM interview which I had on Wednesday. Just flew in this evening back home from NY.

So funny story: too much caffeine can sometimes make me a bit gassy and being tired from driving two days before and flying the day before, I had my fair share of espresso the morning of NYCPM interview. Right as we finished the introduction from one of the Admissions Directors, we were told we would be interviewing next. I decided to head to the bathroom to quickly let off some steam before the interviews began.

Decide to randomly check my email on my phone while in the bathroom and my heart skipped a few beats: Got my acceptance letter to Western!!!! I couldn't really express my excitement but seeing that a few minutes before my NYCPM interview (I was the first person) really took off a bunch of mental stress.

So far:
- Waitlist at Temple (they want me to take some upper div bio courses and if I do well, maybe they'll take me off the waitlist. they weren't keen on my sGPA. not bothering with this option, even though Temple was my #1 choice)
- Accepted at Western! :D
- Waiting to hear back from NYCPM by 11/19
- Still no word from Scholl/CSPM (they did confirm receipt of letters so should be another week or so)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Got my acceptance to AZPOD! Interviewed at KSU this week, Temple Monday, and cancelled NYCPM Tuesday. Might have to go to Scholl before I accept AZPOD.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone have any idea how many students Scholl rejects after the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just applied to majority of the schools, working on getting my rec letters in as well.....im not too late am i??

all of you who were accepted to Scholl, any insight on mcat scores?? thanks

Just applied to majority of the schools, working on getting my rec letters in as well.....im not too late am i??
You're not late. The cycle runs through June of 2016. Obviously the earlier you can get your application in the better but you should be good assuming you have competitive stats.

Reactions: 1 user
I have 6 interviews lined up::nailbiting: WesternU, Azpod, CSPM, Temple, DMU, and NYCPM.
On the interview feedback, I read that Azpod and Western are closed file and the rest are open file. I know that open file means that they have everything in front of them but what exactly is closed file? only personal statement?
I'm so nervous. What kind of questions should I ask each school or things I should focus on?

You're not late. The cycle runs through June of 2016. Obviously the earlier you can get your application in the better but you should be good assuming you have competitive stats.
do you think 495 and 3.42 gpa (would have been higher but they dont have the forgiveness policy) is competitive??

Hey Ed welcome to SDN.I am somewhat new here too. I think what you are doing shows alot of courage and determination. I say you should go for it and not let go of dream of becoming a physician. Do not let your age or the time factor discourage you. I am 28 with a family of 3 and with over 10 years experience in the medical field and still plugging away at my bachelors. It is sometimes disheartening to think that when I start my practice, my collegues will be half my age (I hope to be atleast in my early 40's). Nevertheless the experience I will have with patients and with people in general will far surpass anything they would hope to have achevied. 35 years old is not old by any stretch of imagination to start a practice and I believe your life experience would put you in more favorable postion. I believe schools, hospitals and especially our future patients are looking at quality not at our age.
Western is open file now. AZPod I believe the interviewers will have access to personal statement, ECs, that kind of stuff, maybe just not hard stats like GPA or MCAT. That was my experience interviewing at both of them this cycle.

Sorry if this has already been asked, but people that were accepted to WesternU, what was the turn around time from your interview to your acceptance email. Thanks!

Sorry if this has already been asked, but people that were accepted to WesternU, what was the turn around time from your interview to your acceptance email. Thanks!

They said 1-2 weeks but I got my acceptance email barely 2 days later. And yes, Western is open file.

got a call an hour ago for acceptance into NYCPM!

While I'm very happy with getting into Western, I'm also thinking that I shouldn't limit myself to not taking NYCPM. I have up until the first week of December to decide. Any input/thoughts?

Reactions: 1 users
do you think 495 and 3.42 gpa (would have been higher but they dont have the forgiveness policy) is competitive??

Hmm tough to say. That's about a 19 on the MCAT more or less I think, but I could be wrong. I interviewed with someone at Temple who had nearly similar stats (maybe the Mcat was a 21-22, can't remember). My MCAT is a 32 (11/11/10) and my cGPA was a 3.1 according to AACPMAS. My sGPA is below 3.0.

They got into Temple and I got waitlisted/asked to take more upper div science classes. They got rejected from NYCPM and I just got in an hour ago. I haven't heard back for a CSPM interview and they already got in.

I think it depends on the program or whomever reads your application, though based on what I saw with myself Temple may give weight to GPA and NYCPM to MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)

Your stats should be fine. a 495 is like a 21-22 on the old MCAT and your GPA is decent. You can also try calling the schools and see what they say.

I think that you should be good. Your MCAT translates to a 22ish and you GPA is competitive enough that I would say you have a good shot at an acceptance somewhere.

Accepted to temple with scholarship! My mcat was 495 (which is pretty low)

Accepted to temple with scholarship! My mcat was 495 (which is pretty low)
heyy thats great, congrats! i called them this morning after getting a rejection letter....no interview even.....they said my course grades were good but mcat was low...weird, even though i also have a 495

Hmm tough to say. That's about a 19 on the MCAT more or less I think, but I could be wrong. I interviewed with someone at Temple who had nearly similar stats (maybe the Mcat was a 21-22, can't remember). My MCAT is a 32 (11/11/10) and my cGPA was a 3.1 according to AACPMAS. My sGPA is below 3.0.

They got into Temple and I got waitlisted/asked to take more upper div science classes. They got rejected from NYCPM and I just got in an hour ago. I haven't heard back for a CSPM interview and they already got in.

I think it depends on the program or whomever reads your application, though based on what I saw with myself Temple may give weight to GPA and NYCPM to MCAT?
Weird, Temple's incoming scholarships are weighted 2/3 toward MCAT, 1/3 toward GPA...

heyy thats great, congrats! i called them this morning after getting a rejection letter....no interview even.....they said my course grades were good but mcat was low...weird, even though i also have a 495

I'm sorry to hear that! My GPA is 3.93 so that could be why I got accepted.

Hello everyone! First I'd like to congratulate everyone that's been accepted so far, and for those still working on getting accepted....keep your head up and keep hope alive. It must be said that I'm a long time lurker and have relied greatly on much of the information on this site. Now is as good a time as any to start posting.

Since everyone is posting their acceptances and stories here, I'll do the same. Quick back story; I'm a post-bacc pre-med student. I originally got my degree in economics before working in banking, real estate, and consulting, before making the decision to pursue something more fulfilling. I'm married with a 3 year old daughter and have been pursuing my goals in medicine while juggling the wonders of family life.

Now to the good part. I originally was going to apply broadly, but due to family concerns and personal tastes I got more selective. I'm from Ohio, Lived in Florida, and have extensive family and friend's in Chicago. Thus, I only applied to Scholl, Kent, and Barry.

Scholl: Accepted immediately. As in I was told after the interview I was going to be accepted and received my accepted via e-mail the next day. Was pretty stoked as this was my first interview. No scholarship.
Kent: Accepted with scholarship.
Barry: Accepted with scholarship.

-Overall, I have to admit is was disappointed with Barry. If you have any specific questions as to the details of this, I'd be happy to share my experiences.
-Kent is a program that has a lot of potential, and there really is a lot to like about the program. But there are some things that I, and others, might consider red flags that have yet to be fully addressed. Again, I'm open to answering any questions you may have.
-I really liked Scholl and have to admit my wife and I fell in love with the program and the area. It really does seem to be legit, and one of the physicians I work with went to their MD program and had nothing but praise for the university as a whole. This is the program that I will most likely call home.

I didn't apply to Temple or New York as I can't do the "city" thing, and all of the other programs are too far for me and family. I would have loved to see what DMU and AZpod had to offer as I hear they're top notch. Unfortunately they were not an option.

Sorry for the novel everyone. If you've stayed this long you should be commended, haha. I just thought it was time to be a more active member of the community. Again, good luck to everyone out there still hustling! If you have any questions just let me know. Thanks to everyone that has made this community a great resource.

congrats man, yea your mcat is way above the average not surprised you were accepted! way to go!!
Thank you! They also gave me a nice scholarship ,and I loved the area, school, and program opportunities, so that's where I'll be headed next fall!

Hope to ae
Hello everyone! First I'd like to congratulate everyone that's been accepted so far, and for those still working on getting accepted....keep your head up and keep hope alive. It must be said that I'm a long time lurker and have relied greatly on much of the information on this site. Now is as good a time as any to start posting.

Since everyone is posting their acceptances and stories here, I'll do the same. Quick back story; I'm a post-bacc pre-med student. I originally got my degree in economics before working in banking, real estate, and consulting, before making the decision to pursue something more fulfilling. I'm married with a 3 year old daughter and have been pursuing my goals in medicine while juggling the wonders of family life.

Now to the good part. I originally was going to apply broadly, but due to family concerns and personal tastes I got more selective. I'm from Ohio, Lived in Florida, and have extensive family and friend's in Chicago. Thus, I only applied to Scholl, Kent, and Barry.

Scholl: Accepted immediately. As in I was told after the interview I was going to be accepted and received my accepted via e-mail the next day. Was pretty stoked as this was my first interview. No scholarship.
Kent: Accepted with scholarship.
Barry: Accepted with scholarship.

-Overall, I have to admit is was disappointed with Barry. If you have any specific questions as to the details of this, I'd be happy to share my experiences.
-Kent is a program that has a lot of potential, and there really is a lot to like about the program. But there are some things that I, and others, might consider red flags that have yet to be fully addressed. Again, I'm open to answering any questions you may have.
-I really liked Scholl and have to admit my wife and I fell in love with the program and the area. It really does seem to be legit, and one of the physicians I work with went to their MD program and had nothing but praise for the university as a whole. This is the program that I will most likely call home.

I didn't apply to Temple or New York as I can't do the "city" thing, and all of the other programs are too far for me and family. I would have loved to see what DMU and AZpod had to offer as I hear they're top notch. Unfortunately they were not an option.

Sorry for the novel everyone. If you've stayed this long you should be commended, haha. I just thought it was time to be a more active member of the community. Again, good luck to everyone out there still hustling! If you have any questions just let me know. Thanks to everyone that has made this community a great resource.
I decided on Scholl myself and couldn't be more excited! If you decide to commit, I created a group page on Facebook that you can find the link on one of these other threads. Hope to see you there!

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed at NYCPM this morning and absolutely loved it!!!!!!! :)

Hope to ae

I decided on Scholl myself and couldn't be more excited! If you decide to commit, I created a group page on Facebook that you can find the link on one of these other threads. Hope to see you there!

As with you, I really loved scholl's program and everything they had to offer. The students and faculty were great peoples. Sounds like we're going to be classmates as I'm 99% sure of my decision at this point.

Reactions: 2 users
As with you, I really loved scholl's program and everything they had to offer. The students and faculty were great peoples. Sounds like we're going to be classmates as I'm 99% sure of my decision at this point.

I too am 99% sure on going to Scholl. Looks like I'll be joining you and Justin next year!

Reactions: 2 users
The only school I have yet to hear from is Barry. If I don't get and interview/acceptance from them I'll have to wait till next year. I need a break.

accepted to kent now!!!! now to choose between barry and kent;have a winner so far but will think it over; only two schools applied too

DMU + scholarship! :) (happy tears) GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE ELSE APPLYING/Interviewing! I hope you all get accepted to the schools you LOVE.

Reactions: 5 users
I think we're seeing a good balance of DMU taking either high MCATs/average to lower GPAs or high GPAs/lower MCAT this year. Wouldn't be surprised to see the stats increase on our class profile of 2020 with the solid acceptances this cycle. Excited to meet everyone!

Does anyone know if some schools will match the scholarship from another school? I just got accepted to DMU with a scholarship but wonder if Kent will match it?

I think we're seeing a good balance of DMU taking either high MCATs/average to lower GPAs or high GPAs/lower MCAT this year. Wouldn't be surprised to see the stats increase on our class profile of 2020 with the solid acceptances this cycle. Excited to meet everyone!

Last edited:
Do you think I have a decent shot at getting accepted to DMU with a 3.2 GPA and 500 MCAT? I have an interview coming up and getting accepted there could make me choose DMU over Scholl.
It's hard to say without seeing your extracurriculars. From what it sounds like quite a few spots have been filled and most people that get accepted tend to want to go to DMU over most anywhere else. MCAT is just above their average but the GPA is on the lower side. But the fact you got an interview always means you have a shot at getting in. I wish you luck though!

It's hard to say without seeing your extracurriculars. From what it sounds like quite a few spots have been filled and most people that get accepted tend to want to go to DMU over most anywhere else. MCAT is just above their average but the GPA is on the lower side. But the fact you got an interview always means you have a shot at getting in. I wish you luck though!

Thanks! Do you happen to have a # on the amount of spots they have left?

Thanks! Do you happen to have a # on the amount of spots they have left?
That I do not. I'm very curious myself. And I wouldn't know how a university feels about a student calling and asking that question. Plus I'm not sure if they could even give a good answer depending on how many offers are pending.

I have until 12/11 to accept AZPOD. If I interview at DMU on 12/4, I'm scared I won't hear back from them before then. I'd accept AZPOD right away, but their clinic was empty, and it didn't look like 3rd years were on-par clinically with Temple/Kent. Plus, summer school sounds terrible.

I have until 12/11 to accept AZPOD. If I interview at DMU on 12/4, I'm scared I won't hear back from them before then. I'd accept AZPOD right away, but their clinic was empty, and it didn't look like 3rd years were on-par clinically with Temple/Kent. Plus, summer school sounds terrible.

I'm interviewing at DMU on 12/4 too! Are you going to try to come? If I were you, I would see if AZPOD will let you extend your deadline.

Does anyone know if some schools will match the scholarship from another school? I just got accepted to DMU with a scholarship but wonder if Kent will match it?
Never heard of it happening. Let us know how it works out.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

http://www.samuelmerritt.edu/podiatric_medicine/performance

what the hell are the stats for cspm... why are the hiding it like that..

i want to see 2013, 2014, and 2015 stats in that order to see if they are improving... but they combine this shot to hide the true yearly values... bs

I hear ya. While applying I made a lot of decisions based on the """current statistics""" of some of the pod schools. Even in the current 2015-2016 AACPMAS booklet most of the schools are only posting statistics from 2012-2013. smoke and mirrors

Hey Scholl acceptees... how long did it take to get an acceptance after your interview? I will have an interview on 11/23 and I will only have until 11/30 to answer Barry and Midwestern