AACPMAS 2015-2016 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey there,
Will the AACPMAS send off your application without official MCAT scores? I have everything verified but the MCAT score which is unofficial at this point. I was unaware that the MCAT score wasn't sent automatically until I read this thread today. Also it also has been helpful to read this thread because it has answered most of the questions I have had. Thanks guys!
So, your transcripts have been verified and you have had AAMC transmit your scores to AACPMAS but they haven't updated your application with the official scores yet, correct?

Members don't see this ad.

So, your transcripts have been verified and you have had AAMC transmit your scores to AACPMAS but they haven't updated your application with the official scores yet, correct?
Correct. I guess I don't understand the process. Do the schools already see the application?

Correct. I guess I don't understand the process. Do the schools already see the application?
This cycle, as soon as your transcripts are verified your application goes live and the schools can see everything. Applications are no longer sent in bulk once per week, nor is a hard copy sent to the schools at all. As soon as you are verified, the digital copy is transmitted.

So, yes, the schools have your application and they can see your unofficial score. Now, I spoke with one of the schools and they referred to the application "going live" at this point, which sounds like they should be updated as soon as AACPMAS does post your official MCAT results. Anyway, this should not hold you up as you can still be interviewed even with no MCAT score at all. If I were you though, I would call AACPMAS sometime this coming week to make sure they have your score at all. They didn't receive mine the first time I sent it and the only way I found out was from calling them. Then I sent it once more electronically and once through email and they updated with the official score the next day.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay so I have it down to 2 options.. need some opinions.

1.) Use the next 2 weeks to really get my application squared away.. get my LOR's, transcripts, PS, etc. all submitted. Then start studying for the JANUARY mcat.
**With this I feel that I could still interview without my MCAT and get the score in as soon as it is made available. I could aim for the highest score possible and hope for solid scholarships.

2.) Bust my ass and scramble to get application completed AND take the September MCAT in 4.5 weeks. I could probably pull off the needed score but would stress myself to the max and possibly lack elsewhere in my app. Though this is possible, it is not ideal (studying for the MCAT in 4.5 weeks that is).
**This would give me more options IF I am able to score where I need to with my MCAT.

Stats:
cGPA: 3.6-3.7
sGPA: 3.8

Lots of volunteering and a TON of work experience. Worked full time almost the entire time through undergrad. Had to support myself 100% since I was 17.

School list:

1.) Kent
2.) DMU
3.) AZPOD
4.) Scholl

I know for DMU and AZpod they have smaller class sizes thus getting EVERYTHING in ASAP would be ideal. However, I would be ecstatic to get into Kent and have seen they have a large class size so maybe taking my time and getting a higher score with knowing the rest of my app is solid would be a better option?

1.) Use the next 2 weeks to really get my application squared away.. get my LOR's, transcripts, PS, etc. all submitted. Then start studying for the JANUARY mcat.
**With this I feel that I could still interview without my MCAT and get the score in as soon as it is made available. I could aim for the highest score possible and hope for solid scholarships.

2.) Bust my ass and scramble to get application completed AND take the September MCAT in 4.5 weeks. I could probably pull off the needed score but would stress myself to the max and possibly lack elsewhere in my app. Though this is possible, it is not ideal (studying for the MCAT in 4.5 weeks that is).
**This would give me more options IF I am able to score where I need to with my MCAT.

Stats:

Lots of volunteering and a TON of work experience. Worked full time almost the entire time through undergrad. Had to support myself 100% since I was 17.

School list:

1.) Kent
2.) DMU
3.) AZPOD
4.) Scholl

I know for DMU and AZpod they have smaller class sizes thus getting EVERYTHING in ASAP would be ideal. However, I would be ecstatic to get into Kent and have seen they have a large class size so maybe taking my time and getting a higher score with knowing the rest of my app is solid would be a better option?

Do January. The MCAT is tough and I wouldn't rush it. If you get your score back in February that won't too late for the bigger schools like Kent and Scholl. Your stats are high so you'd probably get interviews and maybe conditional acceptances (if thats a thing)

Does every pod school want a rec letter that is specifically addressed to them? New York requires their rec letters to be specifically addressed to them bc I called them about something and the lady mentioned that all of their rec letters need to be specifically directed to them. Idk if thats the case for all the other schools though, anybody know? I just feel like it would be a pain to ask my professors to write me 9 different letters for each school.

Does every pod school want a rec letter that is specifically addressed to them? New York requires their rec letters to be specifically addressed to them bc I called them about something and the lady mentioned that all of their rec letters need to be specifically directed to them. Idk if thats the case for all the other schools though, anybody know? I just feel like it would be a pain to ask my professors to write me 9 different letters for each school.

I never heard of that before. I didn't have any of my people address any specific school. If that's the case then NY is gonna have to suck it up because the letters I just sent out last week aren't specifically addressed to them lol

By "specifically directed to them" could they have meant just specifically sent to them, as in not sent to AACPMAS but sent to the school itself. That seems to be a frequently asked question. Anyway, I doubt that's a requirement since that's not what it says on NYCPMs website.

Stats:

School list:

1.) Kent
2.) DMU
3.) AZPOD
4.) Scholl

Have you taken a diagnostic exam? MCAT requirements for Pod school are around the median for MCAT percentiles, which for some people (just completed prereq coursework, generally good at test taking) could be achievable without too much studying!

Have you taken a diagnostic exam? MCAT requirements for Pod school are around the median for MCAT percentiles, which for some people (just completed prereq coursework, generally good at test taking) could be achievable without too much studying!

I haven't yet. Which one do you recommend?

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't yet. Which one do you recommend?

Don't fret too much on the MCAT (to a degree). with your GPA, a score in the 20s is fine. The average MCAT score requirement is around 494 (about a 22). Average is the guideline of where you should be. It doesn't meant that if you get a 493, you are screwed forever. Of course, aiming for the best is what you should strive for.

If you have a strong science background and confident in knowing the concepts, then you can spend a month studying the MCAT format (doing a lot of practice passages) and take the test in September. In most cases, you should spend 3-4 months studying for the MCAT. Don't rush it. If you are not ready, then don't take it.

Applying after January isn't late and you should be fine for the bigger schools (I believe April/May is the competitive deadline for some schools).

In terms of practice passages, I know aamc has a full practice test and several practice passages (you will probably have to pay for those). The Princeton Review has 4 practice tests (again, will have to buy the book). I believe Kaplan has some too. You can use Chad's videos or Khan Academy mcat videos if you are having trouble understanding some concepts.

Hi guys. Ok to leave the ACHIEVEMENTS section blank on the application? Can't think of anything.

Hi guys. Ok to leave the ACHIEVEMENTS section blank on the application? Can't think of anything.
Put something at least. That attendance award you got in 3rd grade? That one could work too.

I was told not to include an 'objective' on any resume for graduate/professional school. Is that true?

Okay so I'm doing the questions for the NYCPM app and I can't click the "save my responses" button...I've tried it on Chrome and the new Edge browser that Windows 10 came with. Am I missing something?

Okay so I'm doing the questions for the NYCPM app and I can't click the "save my responses" button...I've tried it on Chrome and the new Edge browser that Windows 10 came with. Am I missing something?
You have to put N/A in the text fields haha

Reactions: 1 users
I was told not to include an 'objective' on any resume for graduate/professional school. Is that true?
Not sure, but I didn't even think of it actually. It's not an application after all, that's what the personal statement and everything else is for. It should strictly be a CV. At least that's how I did mine.

No interviews for anyone yet? I got verified last week and got nothing so far, little worried.

I got my first interview invite this morning

Awwwww Snap! I just got an invite from NYCPM!

Nice! From what school??

When did you submit and and when were you verified?

My invite was from NY as well. I submitted on the 8/7 and was fully verified with my MCAt score on the 8/20 I think

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys 3 questions regarding apps:
1) Does the podiatrist also submit their LOR via Interfolio?
2) Also, I'm really having trouble with the Achievements section, anyone care to give me examples of what they put. I really doubt putting down Dean's list in undergrad, or employee of the month at my workplace will be sufficient.
3) Do all the official transcripts forwarded to schools need to have the Transcript Request Form made available on the application? If you go to 'My Colleges Attended' section on the application you can download the request form for each school and it says that these must be attached by the registrar of each school to the official transcript. Was wondering if this is necessary.

THANKS GUYS

Hi guys 2 questions regarding apps:
2) Also, I'm really having trouble with the Achievements section, anyone care to give me examples of what they put. I really doubt putting down Dean's list in undergrad, or employee of the month at my workplace will be sufficient.
1) yes
2) I put that I was on the dean's list, and that i was distinguished honor graduate of my class for military medic training. But really I think anything that you're proud of, or want to tell them (that falls under the category of honors or awards) would be sufficient.

3) Do all the official transcripts forwarded to schools need to have the Transcript Request Form made available on the application? If you go to 'My Colleges Attended' section on the application you can download the request form for each school and it says that these must be attached by the registrar of each school to the official transcript. Was wondering if this is necessary.

THANKS GUYS
3) you don't have to use the transcript matching form, but if you don't the process will be delayed. Let's say your name is John Smith. How many John Smith's will they be receiving transcripts from? Potentially more than one and possibly even more than one from your specific school. Just use the forms. Any medical CAS requires transcript matching forms so your registrar will have a process in place for it. Just email or call your registrar's office and they'll just tell you to email or fax the matching form to them with your official transcript request or the same day as your request if you submit for requests online.

Don't think that you'll save time by not dealing with the matching form because the purpose of the matching form is actually to save you time.

THANKS GUYS
3) you don't have to use the transcript matching form, but if you don't the process will be delayed. Let's say your name is John Smith. How many John Smith's will they be receiving transcripts from? Potentially more than one and possibly even more than one from your specific school. Just use the forms. Any medical CAS requires transcript matching forms so your registrar will have a process in place for it. Just email or call your registrar's office and they'll just tell you to email or fax the matching form to them with your official transcript request or the same day as your request if you submit for requests online.

Don't think that you'll save time by not dealing with the matching form because the purpose of the matching form is actually to save you time.
Yeah. Sorry, I must have missed number 3. I actually sent my transcripts first without the matching form before I started the app. Then when I started the app noticed that I should have used the form, so I sent them again with the form. Both, the transcripts with and without the matching form (from 3 schools) were received the same day. But I do have a pretty unique Italian name.

THANKS GUYS
If you have any awards for your associate's (like honors). Pretty much any scholarship you had, eagle scout, etc.

Interview invite from NYCPM this morning! Sent in my application in the early afternoon yesterday, talk about a turnaround time

I took the MCAT a few days ago (and obviously won't be getting my score anytime soon).
I realize that the admissions committee will be able to access my old/new MCAT scores. But if I provide my aamc id NOW (before getting the new score), will the schools be able to see my old MCAT score? I don't want the old score influencing their decision.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense!

Interview invite this morning to NYCPM!

Is uploading a resume/CV necessary?

For example Kent and Midwestern have spots to upload a CV/Resume. Is it needed?

What about the questions Scholl asks? (Diversity and English).

Says optional but i want to be on the safe side.

I just gave them my PS for where it asked. I didn't upload CV, however I did do the diversity essay for Scholl. English wasn't necessary if the prompt didn't pertain to you, I think.

I didn't upload my CV for Midwestern because there wasn't anything on my CV that wasn't on my application. I guess if you have something ONLY on your CV that you can't find a spot for on your app, maybe then you would upload it?

I'm still missing one LOR do they grant an interview without it? I got one from the podiatrist im working for and one from my undergrad. I'm still missing another one from my undergrad professor.

Hi guys! All my transcripts just got in today and now waiting for the final verification. And then all the rest of the materials are in as well. Applied to Barry and Temple so far, may add AZPOD later on. But I am also considering Barry's DPM/MBA program as well. Anyone know anything about that? Also, is there a ranking for each of the 9 schools? I wasn't sure which one's are really best because there are so few schools haha.

Thanks!

Checked the '14-15 cycle thread and most ii's weren't sent out till first week or two of September :(

Both of my transcripts were received and verified, 12 and 6 days ago respectively, and they still haven't been sent out to the schools....

Both of my transcripts were received and verified, 12 and 6 days ago respectively, and they still haven't been sent out to the schools....
How do you know they weren't sent yet? Did you speak with the schools?