AADSAS submitted sept 1st

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docveda

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just filled out the application. Hope im not too late. Its the wait and watch gametime now. Am i too late in applying to get into schools?

Members don't see this ad.

docveda said:
Hey guys,

Just filled out the application. Hope im not too late. Its the wait and watch gametime now. Am i too late in applying to get into schools?

Depends on your stats. It definitely could have been earlier, but then again, it could have been later :)

Good luck.

Well I have a 3.55 gpa and 18 AA TS 17 PAT 16

Members don't see this ad :)
docveda said:
Well I have a 3.55 gpa and 18 AA TS 17 PAT 16

You'll be fine. Don't worry.

hsc2104 said:
You'll be fine. Don't worry.

I noted, on another thread, that I have GPA's around 3.0, and 19 AA, 20 TS, and 19 PA. You said that I should probably retake the DAT - yet, you say the guy above who posted (see DAT scores above) will be fine, and that he shouldn't worry.

Okay - he has a much more solid GPA, but I've made 2 F's my Freshman year, and if they were not included in my GPA calculations, then they would all average from 3.30 - 3.40, moreover, I have had a continuous increase in grades over the years. My Biology GPA is currently above 3.50, and I havn't recieved ANYTHING less than a C in over two years (60 + semester credits of course work).

I DO appreciate honest responses, and I'm not fishing for what I want to hear, but do you REALLY think I should retake? I think I'm in a good position to get a few interviews.

Am I being over confident? Should I take a more cautious approach to the admissions game. Right now, my hopes are high, but do you think I shouldn't get my hopes up too high?

iambatman said:
I noted, on another thread, that I have GPA's around 3.0, and 19 AA, 20 TS, and 19 PA. You said that I should probably retake the DAT - yet, you say the guy above who posted (see DAT scores above) will be fine, and that he shouldn't worry.

Okay - he has a much more solid GPA, but I've made 2 F's my Freshman year, and if they were not included in my GPA calculations, then they would all average from 3.30 - 3.40, moreover, I have had a continuous increase in grades over the years. My Biology GPA is currently above 3.50, and I havn't recieved ANYTHING less than a C in over two years (60 + semester credits of course work).

I DO appreciate honest responses, and I'm not fishing for what I want to hear, but do you REALLY think I should retake? I think I'm in a good position to get a few interviews.

Am I being over confident? Should I take a more cautious approach to the admissions game. Right now, my hopes are high, but do you think I shouldn't get my hopes up too high?

hey man i am trying to get into UNC, and he probably looked at my previous threads and my GPA ofcourse and he said i will be fine. I think you will be alright also so don't sweat it. Relax and good luck. :)

iambatman said:

Perhaps you could try calling the schools you're applying to and asking their opinion...they'd know more than we would. Good luck!

Hey...sorry guys! It's just that I'm tired of reading 'DAT Done' Posts, with over 20's across the board. These people deserve it, but they ask stupid questions like, 'What are my Chances'. I don't know if it's to rub it into our (people with 17's to 19's) face, or if they are that silly to not realize that 95th percentile will most likely get them an interview. Maybe they just want assurance.

My whole thing is that I truly think I'm 'average' in terms of my DAT. JavidiCavity said...'Your DAT is decent'. What does decent mean - Average?

I know my GPA is BELOW average - but is my GPA low enough to have to take the DAT over again?

I've worked WAY TOO hard for this, and I don't want to mess it all up for some silly decisions along the way.

not necessarily true,

last year i had 21/21/16.. only 1 out 17 schools interviewed me. my gpa is 3.1, sci is 3.0

iambatman said:
Hey...sorry guys! It's just that I'm tired of reading 'DAT Done' Posts, with over 20's across the board. These people deserve it, but they ask stupid questions like, 'What are my Chances'. I don't know if it's to rub it into our (people with 17's to 19's) face, or if they are that silly to not realize that 95th percentile will most likely get them an interview. Maybe they just want assurance.

My whole thing is that I truly think I'm 'average' in terms of my DAT. JavidiCavity said...'Your DAT is decent'. What does decent mean - Average?

I know my GPA is BELOW average - but is my GPA low enough to have to take the DAT over again?

I've worked WAY TOO hard for this, and I don't want to mess it all up for some silly decisions along the way.

I understand how you feel... I'm in a similar situation... I think for us, we are always looking on SDN and seeing people score 20's and above....and it kind of scares us. Right? Those are the people who are scoring in the mid to high 90th percentiles, so I've come to believe that they are not a good representation of the scores that most people are getting. Well, I also happen to believe that with our average stats, we should be able to pull at least 3-4 interviews (depending on where you applied and how many). Then, if you nailed the interview, I don't see why we couldn't get accepted from there.

The way I look at it is... There is a more secure way of matriculating into dental school if your GPA is average. And, that is to DO over 20's on the DAT's. Simple as that! If you didn't score in the 20's, naturally, I'd say you are taking a risk. But is the risk a high risk? Thats up to you to decide. For me, I'm willing to take that risk because I'm too busy to have to re-take the DAT's again. Say I don't get in this year...sure I'll be bumbed out, but I took that risk and at least I know that I'll have to re-take the DATs again and apply the following cycle.

My plan is to see how many interview invites I get by October. If I feel comfortable with the number, then I will not retake the DAT's. If I don't get many, then I think I'll be forced to re-take perhaps at the end of October beginning of November.

food4thots said:
not necessarily true,

last year i had 21/21/16.. only 1 out 17 schools interviewed me. my gpa is 3.1, sci is 3.0

But, when did you apply?

food4thots said:
not necessarily true,

Phuck!