AAMC 10 Verbal-what the...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G1SG2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The best preparation for the verbal reasoning test is to get enough sleep. Being fully alert allows you to read fast and efficiently. No amount of studying would help in that regard.

Did anyone who bombed AAMC 10 verbal score 8+ on the real deal?
NO! but overall i was getting around nines on every AAMC verbal. Unfortunately two days before my MCAT I too got a 6 on verbal 10- my lowest one. I got a seven on the real thing and am now murdering myself to restudy for the beast. Look at your overall performance if it look slike you might not be ready then put it off

AAMC 10 was my lowest, i got a 10 - i got a 12 on the real deal

i think 10's verbal is slightly more difficult, but i think also going into the test having read that it is more difficult might have made it self-fulfilling

Members don't see this ad :)
Just took AAMC 10

EDIT: just read the explanation for the wrong answer and I think it's clear AAMC made a mistake-they just highlighted the wrong answer as the one that is "correct." Guess that makes it a 7 which is not great, but it's better than a 6!

So which question was the mistake and what was supposed to be the correct answer?

Target verbal by mapping passages daily. 101 EK Verbal is nice, but you need to map and answer the basic questions - what purpose, who, why, what else, what if, etc.

i got a 7 on AAMC 10 like a day before my test, 11 on the real thing. I think I was also burnt out tbh

I also just took 10.

PS: 11
BS: 11
Verbal: 9 bump to 10 with that 1 question?

I was surprised at my score on verbal because I felt confident about the section. I thought I could have gotten them all right, and I actually missed 11.

I scored a 10 on verbal on 3 a month ago.

I am also taking the test on Thursday. Don't be discouraged. I think it all comes down to focus when taking the test.

When I did 3 I had tons of time at the end of every passage. On PS 10, I had to rush to finish. :(

BS I paced myself better.

I missed 7 on both the BS and PS sections and made an 11. It seems like you can't really miss any to have a super high score.

Good luck!
Yay! Thanks a lot. That gives me hope.

Just took AAMC 10

PS-12
VR-7!!! :scared::scared::scared::scared:
BS-13

I found the PS and BS to be the easiest sections out of all the AAMCs but holy crap, the verbal killed me! I know some people here say there's a mistake in one of the answers in the first passage, so that may bump me up to a 7 (but only if the AAMC considers it to be a mistake, if not then I'm still at a 6). Man, talk about getting your butt handed to you. My exam is in two days-should I be worried? I can't really call this a fluke because the verbal was hard and this is the lowest I've ever scored in verbal. I've never even scored this low on a TPR test!! I've been getting 8-9's (and a few tens) on EK and AAMC verbal and my test is in two days :scared:

EDIT: just read the explanation for the wrong answer and I think it's clear AAMC made a mistake-they just highlighted the wrong answer as the one that is "correct." Guess that makes it a 7 which is not great, but it's better than a 6!

Believe it or not, I just finished AAMC10 and get the exactly same scores as yours in all sections........
Believe it or not, I'm going to take the real MCAT at the same time as yours......

Anyways, I looked at the verbal explaination and I strongly disagree some of the answers they gave, especially the sinkhole question in the crater passage.

My verbal scores from AMMC4 to 10 are: 10 9 9 8 9 7 6, a clear declining trend:(:(:(

i have been getting consistent 10s on the past AAMCs I have taken (AAMC 8, 7, 5) and a 9 on AAMC 4, which i took yesterday and all of a sudden i took aamc 3 verbal today and i got a freaking 7 (okay i was one away from an 8) but i am FREAKING OUTTTTTTTTTTTTT .. because it was aamc 3 and supposedly the easiest.. im taking the mcat also on the 30th which is LESS THAN TWO DAYS.. where did my verbal skills go?! then again maybe ive never really had any and all that work ive done on verbal for a month has gone down the drain ....... i dont know what to do or think

Just took AAMC 10

PS-13
VR-7!!! :scared::scared::scared::scared:
BS-13

I found the PS and BS to be the easiest sections out of all the AAMCs but holy crap, the verbal killed me! I know some people here say there's a mistake in one of the answers in the first passage, so that may bump me up to a 7 (but only if the AAMC considers it to be a mistake, if not then I'm still at a 6). Man, talk about getting your butt handed to you. My exam is in two days-should I be worried? I can't really call this a fluke because the verbal was hard and this is the lowest I've ever scored in verbal. I've never even scored this low on a TPR test!! I've been getting 8-9's (and a few tens) on EK and AAMC verbal and my test is in two days :scared:

EDIT # 2-actually got a 13 in PS. The CBT software says I chose the wrong answer for this question that I KNOW I got right (striked out all the other answers that were clearly ridiculous. Don't know how it came up as the answer I striked out, it was blatantly wrong).

Members don't see this ad :)
i have been getting consistent 10s on the past AAMCs I have taken (AAMC 8, 7, 5) and a 9 on AAMC 4, which i took yesterday and all of a sudden i took aamc 3 verbal today and i got a freaking 7 (okay i was one away from an 8) but i am FREAKING OUTTTTTTTTTTTTT .. because it was aamc 3 and supposedly the easiest.. im taking the mcat also on the 30th which is LESS THAN TWO DAYS.. where did my verbal skills go?! then again maybe ive never really had any and all that work ive done on verbal for a month has gone down the drain ....... i dont know what to do or think

:hijacked:

Haha. It's probably just a fluke man. I received a 9 on AAMC 3 verbal when I took it as a diagnostic in March, and now hit my lowest score ever in verbal. Sometimes the scores can be weird, I guess. Maybe it's a fluke. Don't stress. You've done well in other tests.

thanks for those words. sorry didnt mean to hijack your thread! thought it was a smiliar prob.. cept mines a lil diff caz its aamc 3 and is supposedly the easiest :/

good luck :) you seem positive and im sure that will be on your side when you are taking the exam!
:hijacked:

Haha. It's probably just a fluke man. I received a 9 on AAMC 3 verbal when I took it as a diagnostic in March, and now hit my lowest score ever in verbal. Sometimes the scores can be weird, I guess. Maybe it's a fluke. Don't stress. You've done well in other tests.

thanks for those words. sorry didnt mean to hijack your thread! thought it was a smiliar prob.. cept mines a lil diff caz its aamc 3 and is supposedly the easiest :/

good luck :) you seem positive and im sure that will be on your side when you are taking the exam!

Haha, no problem. Yeah, I suppose we are in the same boat. Just stay positive! And relax a bit tomorrow. Maybe we are just suffering from burnout?

perhaps! but i feel bad relaxing tmrw.. i want to review my prac exams one last time and prepare for the writing sec (i havent started yet, yicks! but i figure its not really a letter that counts as much as everything else)

any advice from anyone as what is best to do the day before?!

Haha, no problem. Yeah, I suppose we are in the same boat. Just stay positive! And relax a bit tomorrow. Maybe we are just suffering from burnout?

Gee... and I thought I just did bad on verbal because I didn't read anything for the last couple of days except watch Justice League on youtube.

I also got a 7. And I've been consistnetly been getting 10's on the past AAMCs.

You guys. You realize VERBAL is the section that it's EASIEST to boost up your overall score? Look at the curve!

15 - 40
14 - 39
13 - 38
12- 37
11 - 36-.. whatever

it's usually like this. This is bullcrap!!! so while I'm slaving away at PS & BS questions and it takes at least 2 or 3 right to boost 1 point, you get ONE WRONG in verbal, and you DROP ONE RIGHT AWAY?!

There is seriously something wrong with AAMC curves for this section. Whoever's making these curves need to get their heads out of the clouds and join his fellow test writers. I bet they themselves haven't written an MCAT in years... jerks.

Good luck POOKIE!!! I know you will rock the BS & PS section, just stay confident with VR and make sure to read as much opinion articles as you can before the test!! (but not on the day of.. my opinion)

Let us know how it went.:luck:

perhaps! but i feel bad relaxing tmrw.. i want to review my prac exams one last time and prepare for the writing sec (i havent started yet, yicks! but i figure its not really a letter that counts as much as everything else)

any advice from anyone as what is best to do the day before?!

I was planning on going shopping on the day before my test. It's a good way to relax and then you can wear them to test day and feel great wearing your new clothes!!

here it is...11, 6, 11

I was actually in the zone throughout the whole verbal section. I was feeling at least an 8 at the end of it. There is def something shady about the verbal.

Goodluck to all taking it on the 30th and 31st.

here it is...11, 6, 11

I was actually in the zone throughout the whole verbal section. I was feeling at least an 8 at the end of it. There is def something shady about the verbal.

Goodluck to all taking it on the 30th and 31st.

Don't forget to take the mistake into consideration. It might bump you up to a 7 (if your raw score passes the 7 cutoff).

AAMC 10 verbal was my worst too- 11. My GF made fun of me and told me I was stupid, so I made her take it and she got a 10 :laugh:

Ah, at least I'm not the only one that thought this was super hard. Maybe people should take AAMC 10 before AAMC 9, so as to not lose confidence before the real deal. I find out my score next week...I hope the verbal on AAMC 10 is not a good indicator of my real verbal score...I'll update when I get my score. Good luck to those who are testing soon :thumbup:

Holy..... CRAP

I just scored a 5 in AAMC 10 verbal..... a 5.....!?

I was scoring constant 9's in that section for a while, too, and then this. A 5..... fiiiiiiiiive......!

I'm not too happy. I take the test Tuesday, I don't even know what else I can do to study for it... :confused:

also found aamc 10 verbal to be weirdly hard. haven't gone over it yet, but i got a 10, down from an average of 12/13. don't know what's up with this test...

Just thought I'd add to this, fwiw:

AAMC 10 (6/28/2009): 12 PS/10 VR/13 BS
Real MCAT (7/2/2009): 14 PS/11 VR/10 BS

Don't know if this will make you feel better, but I was consistently scoring lower on the practice exams for VR than the actual (that goes for when I took the MCAT the first time too). I made sure to use EK 101 to improve my score and after a while it got better. This time, I felt I was okay with the VR sections, so I didn't use EK 101 (though maybe I should have), but practiced with the MCAT tests, and read through/did the EK VR book again. I wanted to focus on the other sections. Here's the scores/dates for the VR section:

2/11/09: Practice Test 3R: 10
6/5/09: Practice Test 3: 11
7/9/09: Practice Test 10: 8
7/13/09: Practice Test 5: 9
7/14/09: Practice Test 9: 10
7/30/09: Practice Test 6: 11

Actual MCAT 8/6/09: 12

So for whatever reason Practice Test 10 is a bit of a punk with the VR section. And I was worried when I took it and saw that big of a hit on that section so I went back just like EK suggests, through the passages and discussed the main idea with a friend that was particular good with figuring out main ideas/debates. We went over the question stems, figured out author's POV, and then I would write out what I thought the main idea was, and used that to answer questions without going back to the passage.

Like I said, all what EK suggests to do; I highly recommend it. And don't try to overthink or stress, you need to relax. When I was taking the actual exam, I did exactly what EK suggested and cleared my mind/took a mental break for 5 seconds before each passage. Sometimes I stretched a little before focusing completely on each passage, and ignored everything else. Hope that helps; good luck!:luck:

try verbal: 5 day before test day...never been this low even on diagnostic...talk about complete confidence destroyer...for the low confidence i barely had

Just posting in agreement to most of those in this thread. I have been getting solid 11's and 12's in verbal and ended up with a 9 on this one. Funny because I felt like I received a 13 haha.

Verbal is the one score that varies the most dramatically depending on the passages. I vary from 8-12 on the AAMC's while i only vary from 11-12 on the sciences. I got a 9 on AAMC 10.... I wish the test could be more like the kaplan ones (too bad they aren't :( ). They have a ridiculus curves and I got straight 12's on kaplan verbal through the first 9 FL's. I think verbal is the one section that is hard to guage and you NEVER know for sure how you did on each individual test. But thats just my 2 cents.

Verbal was always my strongest section.

AAMC 10 VR was the only verbal section of dozens of practice tests and two real MCATs that I made less than 11 on (if only my skill in sciences was this good).

All AAMC tests have passages that are intentionally ambiguous, use poor writing at points, etc. That being said, all of the passages on this test were near impossible to follow.

They have no organization and flow whatsoever.

Combine this with hazy answer choices, and you have a recipe for... disaster.

My advice as follows: do NOT dwell on this. Do not go back over it with a fine tooth comb for didactic purposes, etc.

Just add two points to your score and move on. Do NOT let it get in your head.

FYI I did 11 VR on my first MCAT, followed by 13 the second time around.

Forget it and move on...

Verbal was always my strongest section.

AAMC 10 VR was the only verbal section of dozens of practice tests and two real MCATs that I made less than 11 on (if only my skill in sciences was this good).

All AAMC tests have passages that are intentionally ambiguous, use poor writing at points, etc. That being said, all of the passages on this test were near impossible to follow.

They have no organization and flow whatsoever.

Combine this with hazy answer choices, and you have a recipe for... disaster.

My advice as follows: do NOT dwell on this.
Do not go back over it with a fine tooth comb for didactic purposes, etc.

Just add two points to your score and move on. Do NOT let it get in your head.

FYI I did 11 VR on my first MCAT, followed by 13 the second time around.

Forget it and move on...

ditto! the more you think about the more nervous you'll get, the less focused you'll be on the real thing etc etc etc. i would say if you all have been doing fine on the rest of the practices, you'll be good to go on the real thing, just don't think so much about it. i never scored 10 on any of my practices and got a 10 on the 08/06 exam - this is coming from someone who scored a 6 on her first mcat, and an 8 on the next. just go in their ready to go and you'll be fine :)

best of luck!

I just took AAMC 10 and did... horrible (comparitively). I've been getting 35's and 36's on pretty much everything and I got a 30 on this (11ps, 8!!vr, 11bs). I'm averaging 13's on the sciences and 10's on vr. My test is on Saturday so naturally I was freaked out. Actually, this is the lowest score I've had on any practice test since about 2 months ago (the past two months have had heavy studying and steady improvement) After reading all your comments I have relaxed a bit. I'll keep this thread alive when I finish by posting my score. Luck to all!

I just took AAMC 10 and did... horrible (comparitively). I've been getting 35's and 36's on pretty much everything and I got a 30 on this (11ps, 8!!vr, 11bs). I'm averaging 13's on the sciences and 10's on vr. My test is on Saturday so naturally I was freaked out. Actually, this is the lowest score I've had on any practice test since about 2 months ago (the past two months have had heavy studying and steady improvement) After reading all your comments I have relaxed a bit. I'll keep this thread alive when I finish by posting my score. Luck to all!
If you've been getting 35+ consistently, I believe that one was a fluke...dont worry too much.

To G1SG2.....

if you don't mind sharing how you're able to go from a 5 on verbal to 10? what kind of new strategy did you implement that is working for you consistently?

I just took FL 10

9/9/12 30

This is one of my lower scores, but I didn't think it was that bad. The PS was pretty weird though. To be honest, I was shaking when taking the exam after reading how hard it was going to be lol....

ur verbal sux, change ur test day

Obvious troll is Obvious.

punktux:

got totally beat down on my first practice test (aamc 3). not even close to 30. i've been getting 10s on EK101 verbal. but only 7 on aamc 3! dunno what happened...only 2 weeks left. thinking of delaying the test..

Just took this and got a 13,8,13. Taking this verbal, I knew something was right, but I had no idea it was going to be THAT bad. I usually average a 10-12 depending on the test. I take the real deal on tuesday, so I'm just going to forget about it and chalk it up as a fluke...

Since this thread is kind of old, any of you guys that posted before want to speak about how they actually did on VR on the real thing?

This is supposed to be one of the hardest verbals but this ended up being one of my best scores!

My AAMC Average has been about a 7, finished Ek 101 with scores from 6-9 and got a 9 on this one. The only other AAMC test I got a 9 on was AAMC 3.

Hoping for atleast an 8 on Tuesday :)