About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Aamc 8

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by rgerwin, Apr 11, 2006.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. MasterMD

MasterMD it's a smile on the rocks

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    so, being the big nerd that i am (that we all are probably haha) i wanted to know what HAPPENED with my AAMC 8 score... so i went to the back to figure out how many hard vs easy questions there were..... so there were like 33% PS, 52% VR, and 35% BS HARD questions on AAMC 8, whereas there are only 10% PS, 5% VR, and 5% BS HARD on AAMC 9. this made me feel a LOT better :D ... especially since the grading scales are the SAME :confused:

now my question is... will the test look more like 8 or 9 or kinda in between like 7... or does it all depend on which form you get and then it's graded accordingly... (i know its probably this last option) ... i hope i get an easy one!!!! :luck:
  2. sweetstuff25

sweetstuff25

SDN 7+ Year Member
    thanks for sharing the info, i noticed that with 6r and 7 how the difficulty increased (did that nerdy calculation long time ago). 52% hard Q for VR in aamc 8? damn, i really hope everyone fails that in reality so it can curve up to something decent. these practice tests are so strange, the scale should normally make up for the difficulty. this either means people are getting smarter or aamc is getting bitchier.
  3. MasterMD

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

thats just it though... 9 is the most recent and its the easiest.... i heard from my TPR teacher that one of the tests is just a compilation of hard stuff.... im guessing that it's 8!
  4. AWhitehair

AWhitehair hey, u were thinking it 2

Other Health Professions Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Can someone send me the solutions to AAMC 8? I would really really appreciate it!!!! Thanks.
  5. chessman

chessman New Member

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I got a 28,
    11 PS
    8 VR
    9 BS

My lowest VR so far, but did have an interruption in the middle cause the landscapers came. Hopefully I can get back to 10+ on the real thing on Sat.
    I honestly don't know why I can't do better in Bio, I just end up making ridiculous decisions during the test.

All in all it was a pretty hard AAMC test.
  6. Whatsamatta U

Whatsamatta U Member

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I actually have a friend who took test 9R two augusts ago. I'm not sure what the difference is between 9R and 9 though. Aren't these practice tests just a compilation of questions from the different versions of the test?
  7. Mr. Tee

Mr. Tee Indentured servant

MD/PhD Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    There is no "AAMC 9R"....just AAMC 9, which came out a few weeks ago.
  8. MasterMD

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    yeap as teerawit said... no 9R... and yes these practice tests are all compilations of the multiple forms that are given for each test sitting. if you look in the back of 9 it tells you that the grading scale is based off of the two 2005 exams... an indication that 9 is a compilation of questions from both 2005 sittings :)
  9. bambina01

bambina01 Member

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    So this is exactly the part I do not understand! If there were sooo many harder questions on PT8 then there were on PT9, why are the grading scales the same? If there are so many more hard questions, should the curve not be more generous? i.e. need to get less right to get a higher score? :confused:
  10. MasterMD

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i think they just come up with an "average" grading scale for those sittings over the multiple forms for the practice tests. each form in reality has its own grading scale... but for practice tests ... since they are compilations an average makes sense... although they do not account for if the compilations are harder or easier...
  11. bambina01

bambina01 Member

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Okay, thanks, that makes somewhat more sense to me. I just hope that means the really bad mark I got on PT 8 could have been a little higher.....
  12. Whatsamatta U

Whatsamatta U Member

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    No no no, when he sat down to take the ACTUAL MCAT in august of 2004, his test was 9R.
  13. AWhitehair

AWhitehair hey, u were thinking it 2

Other Health Professions Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Hmmm? From what I have been told the "R" stands for revised.
  14. Mr. Tee

Mr. Tee Indentured servant

MD/PhD Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Ok, but that has no bearing on "AAMC 9". Just a coincidental nomenclature issue.
  15. Kuba

Kuba

Resident [Any Field]
    Physician SDN 5+ Year Member
    Just took AAMC 8. Went from 30+ scores on Kaplan FL to 27 :eek: . NOW I am freaking out :scared: . And I usually stink at PS, my highest was a 10, but on this one i got more PS questions right(73%) than any other section. WTF
  16. MasterMD

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

read what i posted above ^^^
  17. Kuba

Kuba

Resident [Any Field]
    omg, thanks master, now i have my confidence backfor saturday!
  18. Kuba

Kuba

Resident [Any Field]
    hmmm..."thanks master".....sound cultish
  19. SilverEye

SilverEye

Pre-Medical
  20. Despina

Despina

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    That's funny. AAMC 8 was my BEST! I got a 12 PS 10 V 11B...too bad my real MCAT was a 8PS 9V 11B Q.
  21. Tan008

Tan008

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I thought for sure I failed that PS section and ended up getting a 13 (with all mistakes on one passage - stupid solubility Chem) :smuggrin:
  22. mrj5k

mrj5k New Member

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    i pooped on this exam. i wonder how they grade it if there is poop on it? anyone have any thoughts on that?:scared: