AAMC CBT exam format identical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lala83

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i bought the AAMC tests, but i was wondering if the format is EXACTLY the same as the real thing. like you have the minutes counting down at the top so you know how much time is left, canceling answers with the right mouse button, and highlighting passages...is all of that identical on the real thing? i'm assuming there is no 'guess' button on the real MCAT so that those questions are marked at the end and you can refer back to them.

Members don't see this ad.

Nearly Identical. The clock is on the bottom left. The color of the background screen is bright white. Not that coffee color the e-mcat ones are. The periodic table is found by clicking "exhibit". You can mark questions and once you complete a section, you can view total selection of answered vs. marked and go back as long as your still in the allowed time.

Also the divider between the passage and question is fixed, so you can't adjust it like you could in the practice AAMC cbts

thanks for the info! i had one last question...
i know there's 40 questions in verbal, and 52 for the sciences, but do the number of passages in all of these sections vary?
i took the paper version and i remember that in verbal we could have 8 or 9 passages, but with the computerized version, i didn't know if there was a standard number for each section.

Members don't see this ad :)
great, thanks!
what did you guys do during your 10 min breaks in between each section? any suggestions to avoid spazzing?

They had leather couches and a plasma tv in the lobby. I took a piss once. Paced a little, and watched a little tv. BE CAREFUL though and watch the time. I though I had 4 mins or so, after I signed back in, got to my computer, it was counting down at 59 seconds. :laugh:

also, to strike out an answer, you left click the text instead of right click. In order to select an answer choice, the mouse must be basically on the radio button (circle).

there is no search function for passages either

also, to strike out an answer, you left click the text instead of right click. In order to select an answer choice, the mouse must be basically on the radio button (circle).

there is no search function for passages either

LOL I actually struck out answers that I wanted to choose simply because I missed the selection letter itself. I was like whatever, and moved on.