AAMC Numbers for applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah heard about that on the preMed allo thread. It's unfortunate.. And I was the only one who said so.. Everyone else was worried about competition increasing due to more applicants.

:confused:

We need more doctors, and it's a positive thing that more minorities are interested in medicine. This process isn't a competition about being better than you peers, it's about showing admins your unique traits and experiences that shaped your desire to serve. I found it personally upsetting and confused that Native American interest in medicine has decreased, yet no one else even cared..

I'm Tlingit, a Native Alaskan tribe. I've been involved with my tribe since birth, it's important to me. However, my mother is German, which means that I have brown hair not black. I'm worried about this because of so many people claim the be native because of some distant relative but are so far removed from our culture and history. I don't want to make an ad-com think that I'm one of those people, and I'd rather not apply underrepresented then to have them think of me as a fraud... do you think that I might be seen that way? what should I do? I'm not applying for another good while (2013), i'd still like some input though on what you think about my situation.

(In summary on paper it's easy to see that I'm Tlingit, blood quantum card, enrollment history, things like that, even stock in my native company, but I don't look the part, when they see me in person are adcoms going to be reeling back because of this?)

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude that should be the least of your worries :) Worry about the MCAT lol. First of all, you should be proud of both of your sides. Don't think that your German parent will contribute negatively to your chances at medschool admissions. You are Native American. You are German. That is cool! Explain to adcoms how that has shaped you, growing up with two strong cultures with extensive histories. And don't worry about what "color" you are, proof is proof and that's that. I've shadowed Iranian doctors with green eyes and blonde hair. The world is a lot more colorful than the media shows, people of all the different ethnic groups come in a variety of shades :D

I'm Tlingit, a Native Alaskan tribe. I've been involved with my tribe since birth, it's important to me. However, my mother is German, which means that I have brown hair not black. I'm worried about this because of so many people claim the be native because of some distant relative but are so far removed from our culture and history. I don't want to make an ad-com think that I'm one of those people, and I'd rather not apply underrepresented then to have them think of me as a fraud... do you think that I might be seen that way? what should I do? I'm not applying for another good while (2013), i'd still like some input though on what you think about my situation.

(In summary on paper it's easy to see that I'm Tlingit, blood quantum card, enrollment history, things like that, even stock in my native company, but I don't look the part, when they see me in person are adcoms going to be reeling back because of this?)

What is your blood quantum? That's the question I would ask.

The med schools that have asked for proof from me are satisfied with either a CDIB or an enrollment doc. And, I am glad that they ask. I hate fibbers.

Thanks for the Help, I read a whole bunch of posts about URMs and got nervous that since I wasn't full blood that I'd have issues. Thanks.