AAMC Official Sample Test (non-scored) Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Stalker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hiya,

Kinda disappointed, just took the AAMC full length non-scored exam and got a percentage breakdown correlating roughly to a 506. The week prior I took the Official Guide Questions (120 questions) and scored roughly a 506 (again via percentage conversion). In case you're wondering how I converted via percentage to a score, there was an unofficial score conversion chart I found via google on Reddit.

I took the MCAT on the 45 point scale September 2014 and got a 29, applied this cycle, and haven't gotten in anywhere so I'm looking to retake and reapply. I studied pretty hardcore from January through May doing all theory, content, and question review from Kaplan, so a 506 is just a bum score for me. Premed advising at my college told me a 506 is a 28ish or even a 27 - and that to show "significant improvement" from my 29, I should aim for a 515+. I know I can do it (my GPA is relatively high and I took numerous difficult graduate level science classes). Any tips on what I can/should be doing? I'm retaking the MCAT on June 2 so I don't have too much time to improve. I feel like 2-3 more points on each section would get me to where I want to be, but how can I break this barrier? I couldn't break the 30 barrier on the Old test, and it seems like I can't break it on the new one either. Any/all advice is appreciated! Below are my percentages for each practice item I used so far:

Official Guide Questions: Taken on 4/20/16
Chemical and Physicial Foundations of Biological Systems: 24/30 correct, 80%
Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills: 25/30 correct, 83.3%
Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems: 21/30 correct, 70%
Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior: 25/30 correct, 83.3%

Official Sample Test: Taken on 4/28/16
Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems: 45/59 correct, 76%
Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills: 40/53 correct, 75%
Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems: 447/59 correct, 80%
Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior: 43/59 correct, 73%

What can I do/should I do to bump myself across this hump? Every now and then there's a topic/rule/formula/definition I forget, but that's not too much, I feel like that's holding me back is not being able to analyze and critical think about the passage to answer the questions. Thanks so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you taken the scored AAMC full length test yet? You might want to take that soon, because that will not only give you a better sense of your standing than the other resources, but it (along with the sample test you just took and the Section Bank) will give you the most realistic idea of the things you need to be working on over the next month. Other than that, you might want to just do as much practice as you can in areas you need to improve, and spend plenty of time reviewing your work to make sure your content and MCAT reasoning are sound.

Hiya,

Kinda disappointed, just took the AAMC full length non-scored exam and got a percentage breakdown correlating roughly to a 506. The week prior I took the Official Guide Questions (120 questions) and scored roughly a 506 (again via percentage conversion). In case you're wondering how I converted via percentage to a score, there was an unofficial score conversion chart I found via google on Reddit....
Hi @Dr. Stalker !

Have you taken a full day to analyze your results on each exam? I mean really pored over them to determine:

1) Why you got a given Question wrong (i.e. content of MCAT thinking)
2) Was there any science repeated on the 2 exams? If so, did you improve?
3) In CARS, how was your timing breakdown for Qs vs. Passage? Which Q types did you miss most often?
4) For all areas, can you explain, in your own words, why each wrong answer you chose is wrong? What mistake
did you make?

After that is done, you will have a list of topics you are weak on and a list of MCAT skills to hone. Assign yourself homework to address each issue you have identified.

When is your actual test date? Taking the AAMC sample test I assume you are close you your real exam date. Have you started going through the AAMC section bank? Many students who plateau do so because they have a hard time learning to think like the AAMC. time spent taking, reviewing and analyzing your mistakes in AAMC material is the best method to address this. you can also purchase additional Full length exams and split them up into smaller pieces for the same effect if you have more time before test day.

Hope this helps, good luck!

I apologize for being slightly off topic, but I have started studying for the MCAT and was thinking of getting the official sample exam from AAMC to help me study too. I saw that you are allowed to take the test up to 20 times after purchase. Do the exam questions change every time your retake the test or is it the same questions each time?
I am using the Kaplan 7-book set which comes with 3 Kaplan practice exams and other online materials, but I heard that you should also use the AAMC materials which is why I was thinking of getting this early. Would you suggest purchasing the AAMC sample test only or also the question pack bundle?

Thank you in advance!