AAMC Self Assessment Score Implications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sean Lee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished the self assessments for verbal and biology, and my scores are as follows:

Verbal: 85% (finished in 3 hours)
Biology: 83% (finished in 2.5 hours)

My exam is on March 22nd, are these scores adequate? Is there any correlation between self assessment percentages and actual MCAT scores?

I took my first MCAT and got a 26, and I want to bring it up by 2 points next month.

Members don't see this ad.

those scores look very good, especially verbal!

have you taken the rest of the self assessment packages?

Thanks for the encouragement aspiring!

And no, I haven't taken the other subjects yet, and I am not looking forward to taking them.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, i've seen from previous sdn threads that a 75% corresponds to a 10 or 11, depending on section and difficulty. so your mid 80% should predict 11+ scores easily. good job!

Update:

I just finished the physics self assessment, and got a 77%. However, it took me close to full three hours.

UPDATE: I just completed the general chemistry self assessment, and got a 88%.

Last edited:
So far, my SA assessment are as follows:

Biology: 83% (finished in 3 hours)
Physics: 77% (finished in 3 hours)
Chemistry: 88% (finished in 2 hours)

My organic chemistry is quite weak, so I'll do the o-chem assessment after some more review. I am taking my first full length tomorrow!

So far, are these self assessment scores enough for at least a 28+?

So far, my SA assessment are as follows:

Biology: 83% (finished in 3 hours)
Physics: 77% (finished in 3 hours)
Chemistry: 88% (finished in 2 hours)

My organic chemistry is quite weak, so I'll do the o-chem assessment after some more review. I am taking my first full length tomorrow!

So far, are these self assessment scores enough for at least a 28+?

Definitely good enough for at least a 30

Definitely good enough for at least a 30

i took my MCAT last july, but i never took the self assessment problems.

from what i've seen on SDN, they are actual MCAT problems released by AAMC? so basically, they are additional full length tests, right?

are these less/more difficult than AAMC 3-11 and the actual deal?

i took my MCAT last july, but i never took the self assessment problems.

from what i've seen on SDN, they are actual MCAT problems released by AAMC? so basically, they are additional full length tests, right?

are these less/more difficult than AAMC 3-11 and the actual deal?

I think the self-assessment questions are quite similar in difficulty, overall, to the AAMC practice tests. If you do well on them (>80%), you should have no problem with the MCAT.

I just took the MCAT in Jan so I'm still waiting for my score, but I think my mcat was more difficult. Still similar in style to the self assessment questions, but more difficult.

I think the self-assessment questions are quite similar in difficulty, overall, to the AAMC practice tests. If you do well on them (>80%), you should have no problem with the MCAT.

I just took the MCAT in Jan so I'm still waiting for my score, but I think my mcat was more difficult. Still similar in style to the self assessment questions, but more difficult.

yeah. when i took mine, the exam was more challenging as well, but nothing obscenely unreasonable. the actual test probably has a more generous curve though.

anyways, best of luck to the OP

Members don't see this ad :)
sounds like the self assessments are very helpful. too bad i didn't do them (ran out of time)

maybe, just maybe, i could have gotten a double digit score in BS had i done with self assessment questions.
bro I would do anything to get that 15 in VR, don't complain.. you've done great

Thanks everyone for the comments. And that's an INCREDIBLE VR score, aspiring!

My goal in a month is to score a 28, a 9 in each of the sciences and a 10 in verbal. I took 6 EK 101 verbal exams, and I've gotten either a 31 or 32 on all of them, which is a 10. I think I can pull it up to an 11 considering that I have 5-10 minutes left to spare.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone for the comments. And that's an INCREDIBLE VR score, aspiring!

My goal in a month is to score a 28, a 9 in each of the sciences and a 10 in verbal. I took 6 EK 101 verbal exams, and I've gotten either a 31 or 32 on all of them, which is a 10. I think I can pull it up to an 11 considering that I have 5-10 minutes left to spare.

good job on verbal so far. that you are you able to consistently get 10s with finishing with rather significant time to spare is very good. in my opinion, you can aim higher at verbal since i believe the ek tests are harder (as in more confusing questions) than the actual deal.

when i prepped for verbal, my most common score is a 11. i got several 12s but only one 13 (this is including all AAMCs, eks, and TPRs). i lucked out and got a 15 on the real deal, which saved my score.

always aim high and be positive/optimistic...you'll do well!

I only did bio AAMC assessment. I think I got a 70%. Didn't do in 1 setting, not sure of timing. Got 10 on BS for real mcat. Good luck OP! I'm sure you will score well. Those are solid results.

My assessments were:
Gchem: 97%
Ochem: 96%
Physics: 86%
Bio: 87%
Verbal: 74% (wut)

1/23 MCAT: 12/11/12

It's great practice IMO

Hey guys the Self-Assessments are different than other AAMC practice exams right? Because I heard that they were made up of old AAMC exams.

I found the VR assessment much harder than AAMC 3, for instance. I scored a 13 on AAMC, and did mid 80% on self asssessment...but the questions and passages just seemed harder and longer.

I decided it would be best for my overall sanity to space out the passages doing like 3 or 4 a day per subject. I reduced my time per passage since there are only 4 questions. I decided to limit myself to 7 minutes a passage, however I sometimes finish a lot earlier. Do you guys think this is a good strategy?

I decided it would be best for my overall sanity to space out the passages doing like 3 or 4 a day per subject. I reduced my time per passage since there are only 4 questions. I decided to limit myself to 7 minutes a passage, however I sometimes finish a lot earlier. Do you guys think this is a good strategy?

IMO it's hard to know how to time these passages since there are passages that only have 3 or 4 questions, but tons of passages (like 22ish for physics). I wouldn't try to time these passages except for trying to finish all of it in under 3 hours.

I did this, but I would make a note of it if I went over time (you have to remember that some passages you will spend more time on than other). The self-assessment is more about gauging content, so I think it is perfectly fine to time yourself, but you want to make sure you are getting them wrong because of "lack of conceptual understanding" rather than "timing." So if you do go overtime make a note of it and how many questions your answers within that time frame.

OP, i've seen from previous sdn threads that a 75% corresponds to a 10 or 11, depending on section and difficulty. so your mid 80% should predict 11+ scores easily. good job!

Do you remember which thread said that? Can't seem to find it and would love to read more about it

Instead of waiting until the end to score your exams, use this to your advantage:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/solutions-to-aamc-self-assessments.1072308/

Actually you can just download the pdf. (paper version) and then just click on all the answers on the CBT, then submit. Not only do you have the answers, you have the explanations to the answers. Also if you want to redo the passages, you have the pdf. on your computer. This is a lot better.

You'll have to take several AAMC full-length tests and take their average for a good assessment of where you are at right now.

My Self-Assessment average percent correlates fairly closely to my average percent on FLs.

I thought the Self-Assessment passages were maybe a bit easier but I score around the same as I do on the AAMC FLs.