AAMC username is embarrassing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cutestgirlintheworld

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Used the name of one of my favorite movies when creating a aamc username. It's a classic. Along the lines of "myfairlady"

How bad will this look to adcoms? Would they judge me in my taste of movies? Should I be embarrassed?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure if they can even see your username. But regardless, you should be a little embarrassed. :p

Reactions: 9 users
I don't think anyone will see your username. I haven't, at least. However, keep this in mind if you're applying to schools that use a secondary portal to track your application, schedule your interview, etc. etc.. Your username may be visible to members at the institution depending upon the system being used.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if they can even see your username. But regardless, you should be a little embarrassed. :p
I know. It was a bad choice. :( At least it's not like inappropriate.
I don't think anyone will see your username. I haven't, at least. However, keep this in mind if you're applying to schools that use a secondary portal to track your application, schedule your interview, etc. etc.. Your username may be visible to members at the institution depending upon the system being used.
Thanks. Don't think I can change it unfortunately. I contacted AAMC and it wasn't helpful. :arghh:

Is this the same account I'll be using for residency applications?

Thanks. Don't think I can change it unfortunately. I contacted AAMC and it wasn't helpful. :arghh:

Yes, you will use this same account for ERAS and everything else related to the AAMC. Given the issue you're posting about here and your choice for an SDN username, perhaps you should come up with some different fodder for account names.

Reactions: 7 users
Yes, you will use this same account for ERAS and everything else related to the AAMC. Given the issue you're posting about here and your choice for an SDN username, perhaps you should come up with some different fodder for account names.
Ok well that's only slightly helpful. Snark is unappreciated. I'm not stupid. I attend a top 5 university and am at the top of that class. Sure I made a bad decision on AAMC but you don't need to rub it in my face to make yourself feel better. SDN is not AAMC and the professionalism of my SDN name doesn't matter.

I believe if you contact AAMC they can manually change the name for you. Someone else had the same issue and contacted AAMC today according to the AAMC facebook page.

Ok well that's unhelpful. Snark is unappreciated. I'm not stupid. I attend a top 5 university and am at the top of that class. Sure I made a bad decision on AAMC but you don't need to rub it in my face to make yourself feel better. SDN is not AAMC. It's just a forum and my username here shouldn't matter. Good luck to you.

True, but in your three posts you have provided an interesting portrait of yourself which suggests immaturity and lack of foresight (attendance at a top 5 school notwithstanding). Your actions and choices reflect on you regardless of the context.

Good luck.

Reactions: 20 users
Ok well that's only slightly helpful. Snark is unappreciated. I'm not stupid. I attend a top 5 university and am at the top of that class. Sure I made a bad decision on AAMC but you don't need to rub it in my face to make yourself feel better. SDN is not AAMC and the professionalism of my SDN name doesn't matter.
Oh, lighten up a bit. He's not calling you stupid at all, just making a friendly, lighthearted joke. You're going to be totally fine. Think of this as something to laugh about 4 years down the road.

Reactions: 6 users
True, but in your three posts you have provided an interesting portrait of yourself which suggests immaturity and lack of foresight (attendance at a top 5 school notwithstanding). Your actions and choices reflect on you regardless of the context.
Oh, lighten up a bit. He's not calling you stupid at all, just making a friendly, lighthearted joke. You're going to be totally fine. Think of this as something to laugh about 4 years down the road.
WedgeDawg, I think I was correct based on his next post.

Anyway thanks for the help guys. I hope adcoms are a bit more understanding that NickNaylor and don't penalize me for this.

I believe if you contact AAMC they can manually change the name for you. Someone else had the same issue and contacted AAMC today according to the AAMC facebook page.
Thank you. This is so helpful. Thought that was just for special characters but I'll try. I contacted them over email and they said no. Maybe by phone it'll be more helpful.

:eyebrow:

This is a professional organization, not a League of Legends account.

At what point did you think this was a good idea?

Reactions: 8 users
You should probably just get into the habit of creating professional accounts and be sure to keep them separate from personal accounts. Even Hillary Clinton got burned on this one, even if no one sees it you should probably pretend like others will.

That being said, League accounts definitely need to be linked to the AAMC, anyone in Bronze V does not have the dexterity to perform medical procedures.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You should probably just get into the habit of creating professional accounts and be sure to keep them separate from personal accounts. Even Hillary Clinton got burned on this one, even if no one sees it you should probably pretend like others will.

That being said, League accounts definitely need to be linked to the AAMC, anyone in Bronze V does not have the dexterity to perform medical procedures.

I blame my perpetual silver V status on dummies that say "[lane choice] or feed," AFK after five minutes, and constantly troll.

Reactions: 5 users
Explains why I want to go into psych :rofl: I'm a filthy casual that doesn't even do ranked.

Reactions: 1 users
This is a good time to mention that all accounts used to communicate with schools should be professional in tone.
I can't count the number of applicants that forgot this and used their "regular" account with unfortunate results.

Reactions: 5 users
I blame my perpetual silver V status on dummies that say "[lane choice] or feed," AFK after five minutes, and constantly troll.

Fill or feed. lol that game has gone ridiculously downhill. I just watch the competitions now.

I hope no authority figures connect me with my SDN account and discover that not only did I not actually invent Post-Its, I have an even worse taste in movies than OP (it's a reference to Romy & Michele's High School Reunion).

Used the name of one of my favorite movies when creating a aamc username. It's a classic. Along the lines of "myfairlady"

How bad will this look to adcoms? Would they judge me in my taste of movies? Should I be embarrassed?

Cutest girl in the world? I'm going to need some pics for verification (PM is fine) ;););)

In all seriousness, adcoms recognize you by your AAMC ID number, not username. And besides, adcoms love movies so they will love your username if they do somehow (unlikely) find out

Lmao someone's insecure

Reactions: 10 users
This is a good time to mention that all accounts used to communicate with schools should be professional in tone.
I can't count the number of applicants that forgot this and used their "regular" account with unfortunate results.
This job I worked at, we got an application from a guy with the email [email protected] - turns out he was a professional horror movie critic, but if we hadn't looked into his email, we could have easily written him off as a nutcase.

"Despite her excellent credentials and strong desire to help people, clearly her taste in movies indicates that her skills as a physician will be inferior. :thinking:"

Come on, could you actually see an adcom seriously thinking that?

I do get the predicament. But I also get that adcoms can get bored with a lot of the same-old-same-old and like to see something unique (albeit kind of ridiculous) every now and then. That said, it's probably still in your best interest to change it.

Edit: Tempting but I'll pass on the joke.

Last edited:
There is really no place for G spots or other genitalia references in one's professional correspondence.

I didn't recall the OP mentioning doing anything like that, though. I guess I missed something.

Anyway, you're the decider. You may decide as you please, using whatever criteria you find most appropriate.

Okay top 5 but did they not teach you anything?

First thing my UG taught us before classes even started when making our school email accounts was to keep it professional.

Reactions: 3 users
I didn't recall the OP mentioning doing anything like that, though. I guess I missed something.

Anyway, you're the decider. You may decide as you please, using whatever criteria you find most appropriate.
They didn't. This is a related issue.

Pay careful attention:
CHILL!!!!

While we're on the topic of emails y'all might be interested in learning that gmail (and, consequently, university emails if they use gmail servers) ignore periods during reading.

For example, gmail cannot tell the difference between [email protected] and [email protected]

This is totally unrelated but it just means that if you put periods before the @ sign in your email you are basically just doing that for ease of communication cuz as far as gmail is concerned it's not there.

While we're on the topic of emails y'all might be interested in learning that gmail (and, consequently, university emails if they use gmail servers) ignore periods during reading.

For example, gmail cannot tell the difference between [email protected] and [email protected]

This is totally unrelated but it just means that if you put periods before the @ sign in your email you are basically just doing that for ease of communication cuz as far as gmail is concerned it's not there.
Can you imagine if they were separate email addresses? How many times would [email protected] get [email protected]'s email? Or [email protected]'s? People would go crazy with using a higher or lower number of periods just to get an address with their name and no numbers. It'd be quite confusing.

It's great to have periods separating names if full names are used. Especially people with longer names. Or people with common names who end up incorporating their middle name or initial. For example, [email protected] or [email protected] read better than [email protected] or [email protected].

Last edited:
Can you imagine if they were separate email addresses? How many times would [email protected] get [email protected]'s email? Or [email protected]'s? People would go crazy with using a higher or lower number of periods just to get an address with their name and no numbers. It'd be quite confusing.

It's great to have periods separating names if full names are used. Especially people with longer names or common names, in which case someone might have an email address that includes their middle name. For example, [email protected] or [email protected] read better than [email protected] or [email protected].

Or monopolize your name with [email protected] or [email protected].

Yup...but it really DOES make a difference in ease of communication, no? Especially with repeated letters.

raggedyannandandy is very confusing, whereas raggedy.ann.and.andy, while still silly, is at least something you can parse in a glance!

Top 5 university and you created your AAMC username as "myfairlady" for which you'll use to get into medical school AND residency. Good thing I went to my state school, my username is simply my name.

(just joking don't get butt hurt)

I gotta say, immediately jumping to "I go to a top 5 school!" as if that equals common sense is pretty amusing. Top school, bottom school, no school at all- a lack of common sense does not discriminate.

Reactions: 10 users
If in doubt for usernames: first initial of first name, first initial of middle name, followed by full last name. Easy to parse, clean, and professional.

I LIKE THIS IDEA! :thumbup:

OP, I don't think any adcoms are going to see your account, so don't worry too much about it here.

However, I second the suggestion of getting in the habit of creating online personas that are generally professional in nature. People usually need to get a new email address when they become adults due to having "[email protected]" as their first address from when they were 13 - from here on out, it's best to avoid youth-style online activity when you get into the professional world.

UPDATE: Called and requested a username change. The woman I spoke to told me that medical schools will never see the AAMC username when I told her my reasoning was that I wanted it to be more professional. So I gave a secondary reason just to be sure that wasn't the only thing.

I have a common name so I had to put numbers in there but it's fine. My email has numbers too. Now they match and it's easy to remember.

A couple of days later I got the email that my username had been changed. So it's nice and professional now on the estimated 0% that an ADCOM sees my username.

I wanted to update in case someone else finds him or herself in my prior predicament. I appreciate all the advice given and will keep this in mind in the future. All the responses were great. :)

At what point did you think this was a good idea?
I didn't realize this was the account I was going to use on AMCAS and ERAS I made it to buy the MSAR when I was entering college.

I hope no authority figures connect me with my SDN account and discover that not only did I not actually invent Post-Its, I have an even worse taste in movies than OP (it's a reference to Romy & Michele's High School Reunion).
Lol that movie is one of my guilty pleasures!

Cutest girl in the world? I'm going to need some pics for verification (PM is fine) ;););)

In all seriousness, adcoms recognize you by your AAMC ID number, not username. And besides, adcoms love movies so they will love your username if they do somehow (unlikely) find out
Hahaha, sorry this is a burner account. I was listening to Rhianna's song "Only Girl in the World" when I made it. Maybe ADCOMS would love my old AAMC username but I changed it to be safe. I can't see anyone hating Roman Holiday. That was the movie name I used.

Top 5 university and you created your AAMC username as "myfairlady" for which you'll use to get into medical school AND residency. Good thing I went to my state school, my username is simply my name.

(just joking don't get butt hurt)
That wasn't the name I used. It was a different Audrey Hepburn movie. Lol.

Last edited:
@cutestgirlintheworld is a burner account??? Ah damn, that's like two blows against a poor guy like me. No amazing selfies and only temporary on SDN. I'm heartbroken :cryi::cryi::cryi::cryi:

In all seriousness, i'm happy things worked out for you. Best of luck this application cycle and in your future endeavors.

@cutestgirlintheworld is a burner account??? Ah damn, that's like two blows against a poor guy like me. No amazing selfies and only temporary on SDN. I'm heartbroken :cryi::cryi::cryi::cryi:

In all seriousness, i'm happy things worked out for you. Best of luck this application cycle and in your future endeavors.
Thank you! Maybe later I'll make a real account and we can interact but you won't know which one I am or when I return. ;)

UPDATE: Called and requested a username change. The woman I spoke to told me that medical schools will never see the AAMC username when I told her my reasoning was that I wanted it to be more professional. So I gave a secondary reason just to be sure that wasn't the only thing.

I have a common name so I had to put numbers in there but it's fine. My email has numbers too. Now they match and it's easy to remember.

A couple of days later I got the email that my username had been changed. So it's nice and professional now on the estimated 0% that an ADCOM sees my username.

I wanted to update in case someone else finds him or herself in my prior predicament. I appreciate all the advice given and will keep this in mind in the future. All the responses were great. :)
Glad it worked out.

Thank you! Maybe later I'll make a real account and we can interact but you won't know which one I am or when I return. ;)
Keeping me in the dark.... :ninja::ninja:

Well i'll still be here with the same name (unless an unlikely spooky event happens :zombie::zombie:). So if you have questions, chats, (snaps :naughty::naughty:), anything etc. Feel free to hit me up!

Oh and happy to see you're a Rihanna fan! We need more of you here so come back soon! :welcome:
stop