ABFM Maintenance of Cert- Up To Date?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jakstat33

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does Up To Date CME (which are AMA Category 1 CME credits) count towards ABFM CME Requirements, and is there a maximum? I think they would without a maximum reading the requirements below:

Candidates last certified 2003-2010 will be required to submit 300 hours of acceptable CME accumulated during the six (6) calendar years prior to the examination year. CME credits must be submitted/verified by the published deadline for completing all application components.

ABFM CONTINUING MEDICAL EDUCATION (CME) REQUIREMENTS*
DIVISION I—A minimum of 50% of the total required CME must be met by the following types of CME experiences. Items E and F pertain only to residents in formal training.

A. Scientific sessions provided by medical schools approved by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education.

B. CME conferences or workshops carrying AMA Category I CME™ or AAFP prescribed CME credit.

C. Multimedia or home study correspondence courses with examinations that qualify for AMA Category I CME™ or AAFP prescribed CME credit upon completion.

D. Scientific portions of hospital meetings, county medical society meetings, or grand rounds may be approved with documentation from the sponsoring organization listing the specific title, date, location, and number of credits.

E. Full-time activity (as a resident) in an accredited Family Medicine residency, a mini residency, or a fellowship in Family Medicine may receive a maximum of 10 credits per week toward the CME requirement.

F. Full-time activity (as a resident) in an accredited residency or fellowship in a discipline other than Family Medicine may receive up to 15 CME credits per quarter, not to exceed 50 credits per year, to a maximum of 150 credits.

G. Other CME activities carrying AMA Category I CME™ or AAFP prescribed CME credit, such as documented point of care learning, participation in quality improvement projects, etc.

H. An educational program of a university or college having a defined curriculum, designated faculty, and accreditation from a recognized institutional accrediting organization1 or an agency2 recognized by the U.S. Department of Education, that is designed to enhance a participant's instructional, research, administrative, or clinical knowledge and skills necessary for the participant to succeed as an educator, administrator, or practitioner in Family Medicine. Fifty (50) CME credits per year to a maximum of 90 credits on an hour for hour contact basis may be received.

I. Full or part-time faculty development fellowships offered by ACGME-accredited residency programs leading to a post-graduate degree or certificate that prepares physicians for future faculty positions in academic medicine, or provides continuing professional development for current faculty, may receive CME credit on an hour for hour contact basis to a maximum of 90 credits.

J. Members of a self-assessment activity Knowledge Development Team for Family Medicine Certification may receive AMA Category I CME™ or AAFP prescribed CME credit as approved by the respective organizations.

DIVISION II—A maximum of 50% of the total required CME may be composed of the following four areas.

A. Teaching medical students and/or physicians.

B. Individual medically-related educational activities not formally accredited may be claimed as follows:

1. use of audiotapes, videotapes, films, sound slides, etc.
  2. participation in telephone, television, radio networks
  3. programmed medical materials such as teaching machines, computer programs
  4. medical reading and journal club participation
C. Review of manuscripts for publication in a peer-reviewed medical journal may be claimed.

D. Publication of a review or research article in a peer-reviewed medical journal may receive 10 credits per article.

Members don't see this ad.

From uptodate.com

AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
AAFP Prescribed credit, AAP credit, AAPA equivalent credit, ACEP credit, ACOG cognate credit, AOA Category 2-B credit, Austria (DFP), Belgium (NIHDI), Canada (RCPSC), Europe (UEMS), Hong Kong (HKCP), Ireland (Professional Competence), Italy (Age.na.s), Singapore (SMC, SPC), South Africa (HPCSA), Turkey (TMA), UAE-Abu Dhabi (HAAD))

It meets point G under division I