ABGs in Ambulatory Centers !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cookie

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how many of you have the capability to run ABGs in ambulatory surgery centers, say to help r/o MH !

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering how many of you have the capability to run ABGs in ambulatory surgery centers, say to help r/o MH !

Haven't seen that. Would be cool, but that little handheld ABG machine is awfully pricey - how much does it cost these days?

Members don't see this ad :)
We have an istat machine in our ASC. We use it analyze venous samples for chemistry on the DOS.

I think having an istat machine in a detached ASC is a fine idea. Chances are you won't use it much, but when you need it, it's nice to have.
Non-issue with an attached ASC.

I don't think Istat machines are expensive. $300-400?

A very seldom used iStat is a headache to maintain and keep PM'd. The cartridges expire and get thrown away. If it's somebody else's problem to take care of it and they do it, great. Otherwise it's not going to work the one day you need it.

If you need it, your patient is in the wrong place.

True, if you're talking about cases in which you plan to use it. But **** happens everywhere and it's nice to have some immediate lab capability.

The issues isn't the cost, it is getting the proper certification as the pathology department needs to oversee the process and the machines will need to be maintained and inspected. is it worth the hassle for a stand alone ambulatory center ! If for example you suspect an MH case and need to confirm/manage the patient !

We do CBG, Hb, K, PT, Uhcg, Ucocaine/meth in our nonattached ASC. Could get a ABG module but haven't yet. MHAUS recommends ABG capability.

I don't think Istat machines are expensive. $300-400?
More like $5K-$8K for the iSTAT1. The older 200 series is no longer being supported and cartridges are not being made, although there are still a few up for sale on eBay for a few hundred bucks. Pissed off a lot of veterinarians and caused them to switch to other systems by stopping support for the "old" systems (which were still being sold new a couple years ago).