ABIM does about-face on changes to MOC program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Really, Steve?! That's it?! The AAPMR provides ABPMR-certified MOC courses and charges a fortune for them. Their answer is pay us the $645 annual fee, and we'll advocate for you?! Let me see them drop their course prices, come out with a statement against MOC, and then I'll consider joining. (It is beyond me why the $645 annual fee does not include the CME and MOC courses they provide; the charges for these are well over $100 each.)

I feel the same way but credit is due to Steve for doing this. :)

I agree. Let them drop MOC completely and I'll pay an annual fee. Otherwise they are not advocating for us, they are advocating for THEM.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for doing this Steve. Knowing you I believe you presented our outrage clearly. The question I have is whether you feel the board gave a crap or just wrote us off yet again? Thanks.
"Crap" is such a strong word. The board was not there, this was an academy meeting and totally separate from the board. AAPMR vs ABPMR means Rosemont vs Rochester. One has your back and the other has your....
I will go silent on this and let the appropriate folks at both entities hash things out now that I crisis level problem has been thrust upon them.

If nothing comes out of this in 30 days max, I will roar.

Reactions: 1 users
"Crap" is such a strong word. The board was not there, this was an academy meeting and totally separate from the board. AAPMR vs ABPMR means Rosemont vs Rochester. One has your back and the other has your....
I will go silent on this and let the appropriate folks at both entities hash things out now that I crisis level problem has been thrust upon them.

If nothing comes out of this in 30 days max, I will roar.

Thanks again Steve :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for clearing up the different organizations. ABPMR doesn't have an annual fee but does charge for the certifying procedures and sets the requirments. It is not a member organization. AAPMR is a member organization which does have annual dues and provides member services, some included and some are charged based on production costs. Other entities like Dannemiller also produce courses. Advocacy isn't easy but credit to Steve for taking it on.

PMD

Thanks for clearing up the different organizations. ABPMR doesn't have an annual fee but does charge for the certifying procedures and sets the requirments.

PMD

Then why have I written checks every year to the ABPMR :(

Steve, didn't mean to belittle your efforts, which I certainly do appreciate. My concern though, is that advocating for us by coming out against MOC is directly against AAPMR's best financial interests. By making money off all the MOC courses, they are part and parcel of the extortionist machine. Until now they have not shown otherwise, and until they do, I must strongly advocate against feeding the beast.

Steve, didn't mean to belittle your efforts, which I certainly do appreciate. My concern though, is that advocating for us by coming out against MOC is directly against AAPMR's best financial interests. By making money off all the MOC courses, they are part and parcel of the extortionist machine. Until now they have not shown otherwise, and until they do, I must strongly advocate against feeding the beast.

As a business they can sell products and they can sell membership. There may be a lot more members if the AAPMR does something in the best interest of all practicing physiatrists and makes it a public event, then they get all the lapsed members re-interested as well as the whole PASSOR crowd. If they recruit new membership then the annual assembly gets larger and that brings in revenue for the AAPMR as well. The bigger we are, the more sway we have. Selling MOC products is not a big revenue stream for the AAPMR compared to the others and I think it is a net win. Caveat: I am not a guy with access to those numbers, just what I have heard.

Thanks for posting. Yep...protection racket. Wonder how it is up in that ivory tower.

"ABIM is showering cash on its top executives—including some officers earning more than $400,000 a year. In the tax period ending June 2013—the latest data available—ABIM brought in $55 million in revenue. Its highest paid officer made more than $800,000 a year from ABIM and related ventures."

Reactions: 1 user
Is this a viable alternative? Anyone heard of, or joined this alternative group?

"In January 2014, when the ABIM issued a series of new requirements for maintaining certification—that would have generated all new fees—Teirstein and his colleagues declared “enough.” They recently formed a new recertification organization called the “National Board of Physicians and Surgeons.” It will only consider doctors for recertification who have passed the initial certification exam that has been required for decades. Doctors must also log a set number of hours with programs that qualify under guidelines as continuing medical education. The group’s fees are much, much lower than those charged by the ABIM. And its board and management—all top names in medicine—work for free."

Is this a viable alternative? Anyone heard of, or joined this alternative group?

"In January 2014, when the ABIM issued a series of new requirements for maintaining certification—that would have generated all new fees—Teirstein and his colleagues declared “enough.” They recently formed a new recertification organization called the “National Board of Physicians and Surgeons.” It will only consider doctors for recertification who have passed the initial certification exam that has been required for decades. Doctors must also log a set number of hours with programs that qualify under guidelines as continuing medical education. The group’s fees are much, much lower than those charged by the ABIM. And its board and management—all top names in medicine—work for free."

I have joined.

Jonny read above. Steve already did. I'm strongly considering it.

You need 100 hrs CME in the last 2 years!?!? That is insane!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2015 10:06 AM
To: Teirstein, Paul S. MD
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: Video of my debate with CEOs of ABIM and ABMS and today's article in Newsweek

Dear Colleague,

IF YOU HAVE COMMENTS ON THIS EMAIL PLEASE POST THEM ON NBPAS.org PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS BECAUSE IT IS MY WORK EMAIL AND QUICKLY GETS OVERWHELMED.

I encourage you all to visit the first link below to a very interesting video of a debate I did last week at a meeting of the prestigious Association of Professors of Medicine (APM) against Richard Barron (CEO of ABIM) and Lois Nora (CEO of the umbrella organization, ABMS). I think you will find the data I present about certification and MOC pretty shocking. When I really dug into the papers containing the data supporting MOC I was amazed at how weak they are (weak is an understatement) and how every single supportive paper is written by a very highly paid ABIM or ABMS employee. It is nothing short of outrageous. The link is:

https://nbpas.org/debate-on-maintenance-of-certification/

It would be very helpful to spread this link around to your colleagues.

Finally, while we have received a fair amount of blogosphere press, today we got our first big mention in lay press, Newsweek. The print version of the Newsweek article publishes next week. The online version can be accessed now at:

http://www.newsweek.com/ugly-civil-war-american-medicine-312662

Paul Teirstein, M.D.

Scripps Clinic

10666 North Torrey Pines Road

La Jolla, CA 92037

Office:858 554 9905

Herein lies the answer:

"
Slass says the suggestion that the ABIM is “purposefully failing candidates on their exams to generate more revenue is flat-out wrong.” Maybe so, but according to the Form 990s filed with the Internal Revenue Service, in 2001—just as the earliest round of new-test standard was kicking in, the ABIM brought in $16 million in revenue. Its total compensation for all of its top officers and directors was $1.3 million. The highest paid officer received about $230,000 a year. Two others made about $200,000, and the starting salary below that was less than $150,000. Printing was its largest contractor expense. That was followed by legal fees of $106,000.

Twelve years later? ABIM is showering cash on its top executives—including some officers earning more than $400,000 a year. In the tax period ending June 2013—the latest data available—ABIM brought in $55 million in revenue. Its highest paid officer made more than $800,000 a year from ABIM and related ventures. The total pay for ABIM’s top officers quadrupled. Its largest contractor expense went to the same law firm it was using a decade earlier, but the amounts charged were 20 times more."

Hi there. I get emails with board questions from the aba. Here is todays:

Question:

Mutations in which of the following genes are associated with both congenital insensitivity to pain and familial erythromelalgia?
P2X7
TRPV1
SCN9A (NaV1.7)
GluR2 (Glutamate receptor)

And the answer is that we need to end part 3.

NaV1.7. standard 1st year anesthesiology teaching.

got any hard?

Even if it were the test is not anesthesia and has nothing to do with clinical practice. Though I suppose you jest as given your advanced age the only receptors studied at that point in time were on giant squid axons. And let us hear about all of your erythromelalgia patients.

in all honesty, a decent bit of anesthesia and my pain training does involve teaching on pharmacology, C fibers and dorsal root ganglion. all of this is involved in how anesthesia "works".

also, lidocaine infusion and mexilitine for sodium channel blockade and the different channels blocked by lidocaine, including the Nav1.7.

much research towards blocking this specific channel, along with 1.8, were touted (when i was a fellow) as potential game changers for chronic pain.

and not something new....
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16427000

the difference between myself as a board certified anesthesiologist and a CRNA is that i have a much greater knowledge base and a more clear fund of medicine that allows me to incorporate what may be seemingly meaningless facts into clinical medicine.

anyone can provide anesthesia, but only anesthesiologists can understand how it is done. i would argue that knowing the intricacies of pain medicine is what separates us from a PCP who writes opioids without understanding how they work, or, god forbid, co-prescribe gabapentin/lyrica, or valium/clonazepam, or percocet/vicodin.......

Thank you for participating in the MOCA Minute for Pain Medicine pilot. As you know, the purpose of this program is to increase your chances of success on an upcoming Pain Medicine Recertification Examination.

We received a fair amount of criticism on the question we sent earlier this week. For those of you who shared feedback, your critique is noted. We recognize that channelopathies and pain is a very specific state-of-the-art scientific topic and that the associated clinical condition of erythromelalgia is rare. However, it is an important issue that every diplomate should be familiar with. This question demonstrates the breadth and depth of the questions you may see on an exam.

With that said, your feedback will help us refine our content to ensure that it remains relevant to your practice and representative of both the clinical and basic science that defines our field. We appreciate your input and hope that you will continue to participate in the MOCA Minute for Pain Medicine. Ultimately, the goal is to help you continue to learn and grow in your practice as our field grows, and we believe MOCA Minute could be a valuable tool in this effort.
Sincerely,
Rathmell+signature.jpg

James P. Rathmell, M.D.
Secretary

Thank you for participating in the MOCA Minute for Pain Medicine pilot. As you know, the purpose of this program is to increase your chances of success on an upcoming Pain Medicine Recertification Examination.

We received a fair amount of criticism on the question we sent earlier this week. For those of you who shared feedback, your critique is noted. We recognize that channelopathies and pain is a very specific state-of-the-art scientific topic and that the associated clinical condition of erythromelalgia is rare. However, it is an important issue that every diplomate should be familiar with. This question demonstrates the breadth and depth of the questions you may see on an exam.

With that said, your feedback will help us refine our content to ensure that it remains relevant to your practice and representative of both the clinical and basic science that defines our field. We appreciate your input and hope that you will continue to participate in the MOCA Minute for Pain Medicine. Ultimately, the goal is to help you continue to learn and grow in your practice as our field grows, and we believe MOCA Minute could be a valuable tool in this effort.
Sincerely,
Rathmell+signature.jpg

James P. Rathmell, M.D.
Secretary

He says our feedback is important, yet in the immediately preceding paragraph he dismisses our feedback. What a joke.

Colleagues,

After making the ABA aware of our petition, they claimed that MOCA reform would be announced in the form of "MOCA 2.0" in the 2015 newsletter. This has just been published, and while some future concept of MOCA 2.0 is alluded to, the status quo is completely unchanged for now.

What has changed, however, are the acronyms and names of the MOCA modules that currently exist. Why these changes were felt necessary is anyone's guess, but the idea of well-paid ABA executives spending reimbursed time in a room deciding that "Life-long Learning and Self-Assessment" should now be abbreviated "LLS" instead of "LLSA" is frankly ridiculous. Why should the "Cognitive Exam" now be labeled "Assessment of Knowledge, Judgment, and Skills?" What skills are being assessed by sitting in front of a computer screen for hours? We find this acronym-shuffling insulting to our collective intelligence.

Clearly, this is not reform. Whatever MOCA 2.0 will be, we are pessimistic that it will be a real, meaningful change. The costs and time burdens are likely to remain unacceptably high.

We have edited the language of the petition, by adding a paragraph stating our belief that MOC and MOCA should be eliminated entirely (if you do not agree with this language, contact me and I will remove your name from the petition). We worded the original petition the way we did, because the ABA must act under the guidelines laid out by the ABMS. They therefore cannot completely eliminate MOCA and stay a member board of the ABMS. While we feel that the ABMS serves zero purpose and that the ABA gains nothing by staying with it, we wanted to petition them for a change they could actually make and still stay within the parameters of the ABMS' MOC guidelines. We wanted our request to be able to be viewed as offered in good faith.

So far, our efforts have been met with elimination of letters from acronyms, and nothing more. So we encourage you to continue to reach out to your colleagues and spread the word that MOCA must be radically changed at minimum, and ideally completely eliminated. Visit our Facebook site at www.facebook.com/changemoca, follow on Twitter @changemoca, and use #changemoca.

Finally, we want to spread awareness of the new board certification entity, the National Board of Physicians and Surgeons (nbpas.org). Neither Tom nor I have any financial relationship with NBPAS. It was founded as an alternative board certification entity that stresses the importance of lifelong learning, one that recognizes that MOC is not founded in any evidence, is too burdensome, and is far too costly. NBPAS membership is available to those who have already been certified by their mother board (the ABA in our case), and maintain a requisite amount of CME.

A recent presentation by the founder of NBPAS, Dr. Paul Teirstein, is incredibly informative for those who have no yet watched it- https://nbpas.org/debate-on-maintenance-of-certification/ . This presentation shines a light on the very poor quality of the "evidence" that is used to support MOC by the ABMS boards.

We encourage all of you to contact your medical executive committees to request that NBPAS be recognized alongside ABMS boards as a legitimate certification entity. Some materials to assist in that effort are available here- https://nbpas.org/sample-letters-and-powerpoints/ .

Thank you again for your time and effort. We must continue to pressure the ABA for meaningful change, and if no such change is in the offering, we hope you will join us in our pledge to forego our ABA membership now that a viable alternative exists.

Remember also to submit your thoughts about MOCA to the ABA at this link- http://moca.theaba.org/fg.pl .

Sincerely,
Oren Bernstein and Tom Gallen

Please reply if you would like to be removed from future emails regarding this topic. Your email address and privacy are always protected and respected.

Got my NBPAS certificate a couple days ago. Looking forward to never paying another cent to the ABA.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks Dr. Jay for posting. This ivory tower needs rennovation, perhaps leveling.

"Why should doctors be forced to keep ladling out cash and spending time away from their practices studying useless information simply because the ABIM is managerially incompetent?"

Love this... investigators "disclosed the ruse online and ABIM quietly reposted the document, this time in full. What it showed were accounting techniques that would make the illusionists at Enron blush.":laugh:

Last edited:
Follow Eichenwald on Twitter too. He's really going after ABIM.

Sharing the following from a post I found on SERMO

--------
I made a summary of the language in those pages from the actual bill that cites specific references to (ABMS) provided MOC activities in the MIPS section of the bill. You can C& P this to your colleagues. (I added " <<<<<<<<<< " marks to highlight particularly relevant clauses.

Under the EXHAUSTIVELY-described (> 70 pages of it) MIPS (Merit-based Incentive Payment System) that will be required of Medicare providers (and can, at the Secretary's whim, be extended to commercial insurance), MOC is most definitely solidified, and the current 'specialty boards' are specifically named as providers.
Excerpts:
===========================================================
p 28
20 ‘‘(V) The subcategory of patient
21 safety and practice assessment, such
22 as through use of clinical or surgical
23 checklists and practice assessments
24 related to maintaining certification. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
p 31
22 ‘‘(v) CLINICAL PRACTICE IMPROVE-
23 MENT ACTIVITIES.—
p 32
1 graph (B)(iii), the Secretary shall use
2 a request for information to solicit
3 recommendations from stakeholders to
4 identify activities described in such
5 subparagraph and specifying criteria
6 for such activities.
7 ‘‘(II) CONTRACT AUTHORITY FOR
8 CLINICAL PRACTICE IMPROVEMENT
9 ACTIVITIES PERFORMANCE CAT-
10 EGORY.—In applying subparagraph
11 (B)(iii), the Secretary may contract
12 with entities to assist the Secretary <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
13 in—
14 ‘‘(aa) identifying activities
15 described in subparagraph
16 (B)(iii);
17 ‘‘(bb) specifying criteria for <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
18 such activities; and
19 ‘‘(cc) determining whether a <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
20 MIPS eligible professional meets
21 such criteria.
22 ‘‘(III) CLINICAL PRACTICE IM-
23 PROVEMENT ACTIVITIES DEFINED.— <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
24 For purposes of this subsection, the
25 term ‘clinical practice improvement
p 33
1 activity’ means an activity that rel-
2 evant eligible professional organiza- <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
3 tions and other relevant stakeholders
4 identify as improving clinical practice
5 or care delivery and that the Sec-
6 retary determines, when effectively ex-
7 ecuted, is likely to result in improved
8 outcomes.
p 35
16 ‘‘(II) ELIGIBLE PROFESSIONAL
17 ORGANIZATION DEFINED.—In this <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
18 subparagraph, the term ‘eligible pro-
19 fessional organization’ means a pro-
20 fessional organization as defined by
21 nationally recognized specialty boards
22 of certification or equivalent certifi-
23 cation boards.
p 38
15 ‘‘(viii) CONSULTATION WITH REL-
16 EVANT ELIGIBLE PROFESSIONAL ORGANI-
17 ZATIONS AND OTHER RELEVANT STAKE-
18 HOLDERS.—Relevant eligible professional
19 organizations and other relevant stake-
20 holders, including State and national med-
21 ical societies, shall be consulted in carrying
22 out this subparagraph.
=============================================================

On the surface, the SGR "Doc Fix" bill may have seemed like a good idea, and a rare example of productive bipartisanship.

But hidden in the HR2 bill is language inserted by lobbyists for the ABMS, making elements of MOC law of the land.

Sound unbelievable? Read these links-

http://drwes.blogspot.com/2015/04/working-physicians-were-played-its-time.html

http://drwes.blogspot.com/2015/04/doctors-if-you-hate-moc-write-to-your.html

If you agree with the anti-MOC movement, you MUST call/email/write your Senator and demand a "no" vote on HR2.

It is a
On the surface, the SGR "Doc Fix" bill may have seemed like a good idea, and a rare example of productive bipartisanship.

But hidden in the HR2 bill is language inserted by lobbyists for the ABMS, making elements of MOC law of the land.

If you agree with the anti-MOC movement, you MUST call/email/write your Senator and demand a "no" vote on HR2.

It is absolutely critical that physicians rally against this extortion.

Thanks for posting.

Dr. Wes's blog and form letter is a great start.

I just sent my Senator's a letter. Please take a few minutes to do it. All info to contact your Senator is on Dr. Wes' site.

Your answer is correct!

Question:

A 60-year-old woman with type 2 diabetes mellitus comes to the office because of a four-month history of numbness, tingling, and stinging sensations in both feet. Physical examination shows erythema and allodynia to mechanical stroking over the plantar aspects of the feet. She experienced weight gain and edema in the lower extremities while taking amitriptyline 25 mg at night. Her diabetes currently is controlled with diet, and she inquires about further dietary and nutritional changes that could help relieve her symptoms. Which of the following supplements is MOST likely to relieve her neuropathic symptoms?
  • Alpha lipoic acid
  • Bromelain
  • Kava kava
  • Melatonin
You answered: Alpha lipoic acid

Key Point:

Alpha lipoic acid is a treatment of diabetic neuropathy.

Reference:

Mijnhout GS, Alkhalaf A, Kleefstra N, Bilo HJ. Alpha lipoic acid: a new treatment for neuropathic pain in patients with diabetes? Neth J Med. 2010 Apr; 68(4): 158-62. PMID: 20421656

Ziegler D, Gries FA. Alpha-lipoic acid in the treatment of diabetic peripheral and cardiac autonomic neuropathy. Diabetes. 1997 Sep; 46 Suppl 2: S62-6. PMID: 9285502

Mijnhout GS, Kollen BJ, Alkhalaf A, Kleefstra N, Bilo HJ. Alpha lipoic Acid for symptomatic peripheral neuropathy in patients with diabetes: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Int J Endocrinol. 2012; 2012: 456279. PMID: 22331979

Educational Objective:

Supplements available for the management of diabetic neuropathy

Critique:

Alpha lipoic acid acts as a free radical scavenger of the peripheral nerve which reduces oxidative stress. Alpha lipoic acid has shown a significant reduction in neuropathic pain when given intravenously, but studies have been limited to short-term follow up. It is used at a dosage of 600 mg per day over three weeks. Oral treatment has been administered using 600-800 mg per day for up to four months. Long term sustained relief has not been established with oral treatment.

So the references are in journals none of us would ever read. The answer is a product they say doesnt work long term. NBPAS. NBPAS.

Your answer is correct!

Question:

A 60-year-old woman with type 2 diabetes mellitus comes to the office because of a four-month history of numbness, tingling, and stinging sensations in both feet. Physical examination shows erythema and allodynia to mechanical stroking over the plantar aspects of the feet. She experienced weight gain and edema in the lower extremities while taking amitriptyline 25 mg at night. Her diabetes currently is controlled with diet, and she inquires about further dietary and nutritional changes that could help relieve her symptoms. Which of the following supplements is MOST likely to relieve her neuropathic symptoms?
  • Alpha lipoic acid
  • Bromelain
  • Kava kava
  • Melatonin
You answered: Alpha lipoic acid

Key Point:

Alpha lipoic acid is a treatment of diabetic neuropathy.

Reference:

Mijnhout GS, Alkhalaf A, Kleefstra N, Bilo HJ. Alpha lipoic acid: a new treatment for neuropathic pain in patients with diabetes? Neth J Med. 2010 Apr; 68(4): 158-62. PMID: 20421656

Ziegler D, Gries FA. Alpha-lipoic acid in the treatment of diabetic peripheral and cardiac autonomic neuropathy. Diabetes. 1997 Sep; 46 Suppl 2: S62-6. PMID: 9285502

Mijnhout GS, Kollen BJ, Alkhalaf A, Kleefstra N, Bilo HJ. Alpha lipoic Acid for symptomatic peripheral neuropathy in patients with diabetes: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Int J Endocrinol. 2012; 2012: 456279. PMID: 22331979

Educational Objective:

Supplements available for the management of diabetic neuropathy

Critique:

Alpha lipoic acid acts as a free radical scavenger of the peripheral nerve which reduces oxidative stress. Alpha lipoic acid has shown a significant reduction in neuropathic pain when given intravenously, but studies have been limited to short-term follow up. It is used at a dosage of 600 mg per day over three weeks. Oral treatment has been administered using 600-800 mg per day for up to four months. Long term sustained relief has not been established with oral treatment.

So the references are in journals none of us would ever read. The answer is a product they say doesnt work long term. NBPAS. NBPAS.

Who cares if it works? It demonstrates that you are offering complementary and holistic care which is, of course, a good thing.

Reactions: 2 users

Too late.

BREAKING NEWS - April 15, 2015
Senate Passes SGR Repeal Bill By Vote of 92-8

Last night, the Senate voted 92-8 to permanently repeal the sustainable growth rate (SGR) formula for physician reimbursement under Medicare by passing H.R. 2, the "Medicare Access and Chip Reauthorization Act," or MACRA. Two of the three presidential candidates voted against the bill.
Although six amendments were considered on the floor, none reached the threshold required for passage. As a result, the Senate passed bill was identical to the version that passed the House of Representatives by an overwhelming 392-37 margin on March 26.
The bill is expected to be sent to the White House tonight, where President Obama has said he would sign it into law.
Medicare should begin processing claims tomorrow for services provided in April at the rates that were effective before the 21 percent cut was scheduled to take effect. Under the provisions of H.R. 2, the fee schedule conversion factor will be increased by 0.5 percent on July 1, 2015, and by another 0.5 percent on January 1, 2016.
Medicine's united voice was instrumental to our success. We encourage ASIPP members to express appreciation to Senators and Representatives who voted for H.R. 2. It is a complex bill that reflects bipartisan compromise.
We will keep you updated on the bill as more news becomes available.

Beyond the MOC issue, do I read an overall 0.5 % CMS reimbursement increase in 3 months and another 0.5% increase in 6 more months?

On top of the MOC insult, it's incredible that the IT industry got their Meaningful Use cash cow included in this bill.

Update from the ABA looks very encouraging!
Dear Dr. xxx,
In February, I informed you about the Maintenance of Certification in Anesthesiology Program (MOCA) redesign, known as MOCA 2.0. This initiative was inspired by diplomate feedback and technological advances that are allowing us to provide our diplomates with customized learning and assessment. Today, I'm writing to give you an update on our progress.

The ABA's board of directors, which is comprised of 12 practicing anesthesiologists and one public member, has been collaborating with a group of volunteer diplomates since early 2014 to build MOCA 2.0. It is a robust platform that will allow diplomates to participate in activities most relevant to their practices. We are still developing the platform and its program requirements, but wanted to share some of the following highlights:
  • The ABA will launch the MOCA 2.0 pilot on Jan. 1, 2016.
  • All diplomates who have certificates that expire in 2016 or later and who are participating in MOCA will be enrolled in the pilot. Non-time limited certificate holders are encouraged and welcome to participate, but will not be automatically enrolled.
  • The MOCA Minute application, an interactive learning tool that we began piloting in 2014, will replace the MOCA Examination as the Board's MOC Part 3: Assessment of Knowledge, Judgment, and Skills. You may learn more about the MOCA Minute application in the 2015 edition of ABA News.
  • As of Jan.1, 2016, simulation will become an optional Part 4 activity. We consider simulation a valuable education tool and will continue to strongly encourage it.
  • We are developing a variety of MOCA Part 4: Improvement in Medical Practice options that will give diplomates greater flexibility to complete activities relevant to their practice. The Board will award points to diplomates completing MOCA Part 4 activities based on the time and effort required to complete them. A minimum number of Part 4 points will be required for all diplomates participating in the MOCA 2.0 pilot.
  • We will share the details about the point system in the coming months.
  • There will be an annual $210 fee to participate in MOCA 2.0, which will replace the current $2,100 MOCA fee paid every 10 years.
MOCA 2.0 will eventually feature an online repository that will serve as a single source to store, retrieve and distribute certificates, licenses and other important documentation. These are significant changes that will help the ABA more effectively identify diplomates' knowledge gaps and steer them to targeted educational options that will close these gaps. We believe MOCA 2.0 will enhance patient safety and clinical outcomes.

We have been working on this effort since 2012 when we began exploring the idea of incorporating innovative technology to enhance the MOCA program. We still have some details to work through and will continue to communicate new information as decisions are made. The ABA will produce training materials in the coming months to get participating diplomates acclimated with the pilot program's features prior to its launch.

In the meantime, you may click here for MOCA 2.0 FAQs. If you have questions, please contact the ABA Communications Center at (866) 999-7501 or via email at [email protected] for assistance Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET.
Sincerely,

James P. Rathmell, M.D.
Secretary
NO exam.
Stim optional.
Change in Practice Improvement (too bad i got that all done).

$210/year vs $2100 one time fee for the test.

Just looking at the survey released from ABPMR. The most important question was not on the survey, "Do you favor keeping or abandoning the MOC process?" Instead it was all like, "Do you want us to hire more staff and give us all raises to provide a BETTER process or do you want us to hire more staff and give us all raises to make a more EFFICIENT process? WE'RE LISTENING!!!!!" FucI<ers.

ABPMR-MOC Pain medicine re-certification exam conducted by ASA result speaks.......

Passed ----89-------67.4%
Failed-----43-------32.6%

32.6% of pain physicians failed after 10 years of full time practice. Of course, they don't know the answers for the useless questions and cases they don't see in day-to-day practice.