ABIM exemption for post-doc research fellow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cirrhosis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

Did anyone had their PD submit a proposal for ABIM for exemption for GI boards with a prior extensive post-doctoral research fellowship?

I heard that ABIM can actually allow shortening your GI training to 2 years if you had official prior research training.

I did 2 years of post-doctoral research training followed by a year of hepatology fellowship before joining GI fellowship this year.

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of this. The exemption I'm aware of is the research pathway where you spend 2y in IM then standard Fellowship+1-2y. I don't know about any "credit for time served" rule. But I don't know all the ABIM rules.

So let's assume that you're not on crack, or at least, that you really do understand the actual ABIM rules. What motivation would a PD have to do this for you? They have to go out of their way, and do more work on your behalf, to make you 33-50% less useful to them.

"Dear ABIM, Cirrhosis did such amazing work for a few other people that I've never met that I think he should do less work in my program but still get credit as if he did all the work he was supposed to do for me. Please let him do that."

I hope that sounds ridiculous, because it should.

Reactions: 1 user
I've seen it happen at the resident level. Its worth asking your PD.

Members don't see this ad :)
As weird as it might sound, I did come across a guy who completed a hepatology fellowship followed by working as a hepatologist in a different hospital where he joined their GI fellowship . Soon after his start, a proposal was submitted to ABIM indicating the reasons why he should be exempted from the required 3 years to be eligible for the GI board. The guy just graduated hi GI fellowship this year, so it wasn't that long ago

I hope the following link explains it a little bit

http://www.abim.org/certification/policies/candidates-special-consideration.aspx