ABIM research tract (GI) for IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CRUCS_2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have been looking around for a while to get some info on this but couldn't find much - would be very grateful if anyone could help/advice please!

I am an IMG (a graduate from a prestigious UK univ), finished 2-years of training here and currently doing a PhD in GI. My original intention was to use the PhD to get a better attending job here in the UK, but more time I spent on research (I do both clinical and bench), more I fell in love with it.

Basically, I see myself doing this for life - and I really want to be an physician scientist who spend ~80% of time in clinical/bench research and I was also recently offered a place for a integrated research/clinical training here in the UK. But it looks like due to family reasons, I have to move to US (shame, cuz its my dream job!).

So I've searched around like crazy, and found out that there is a similar program called ABIM research track, which is essentially,
- Shortened IM residency (2 years)
- Shortened GI fellowship (2 years)
- 3 years of protected research time!

Which would be amazing for me and perfect to get the ball rolling before I start my lab at the end of training (although I will have 4 years gap in research...).

My questions are
1) How does this actually work? Do people go on to the research tract only after they have already started their PGY1 or is this (i.e. full package - IM+GI+3yr research) something that you can apply for at the tie of residency application cycle?

2) Are IMGs eligible (I need to get visa)? I ask because, presumably the research component of the program would be nationally funded? if so, don't they require recipient to be US citizen/permanent resident (I am a UK citizen)?

3) How competitive is it? Presumably highly competitive, as I can imagine lots of MD/PhDs apply to these posts. I am yet to take my USMLEs but would do soon. I was in the top 25% in medical school. My academic credentials are: masters degree, 3 first author publications in high-impact journals (top 10 in GI/Hep journals), 8 oral presentations + 3 posters in international conferences, 2x best oral presentation prizes, 3 travel grants, clinician scientist award (which funds my PhD and clinical salary). I have also been doing 1 GI clinic and 1 ward-cover during this time to keep my hands dirty. I also did ID elective in US when I was a student. What do you think my chances are? Do I realistically have any chance of getting in? If not what can I do to improve my chances? I really can't see myself being full time clinician, although if worst comes to worst I could probably tolerate being faculty who only do clinical research.

So sorry for the long post guys but ANY piece of info/advice would be very helpful indeed!

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.