ABIM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
It's funny, there used to be a comments section for that piece. I just now got a bit of time to go back and read them, and yet it doesn't exist any longer. Shame.

I'd like to just drop the ABPN. The only reason I don't is because I'm a young attending and don't want to limit job choices should I move on. I can all but guarantee that I'll only take the board exam twice in my career, as once I've put in twenty years of practice I won't care what the board thinks about the next 20. I don't need them looking over my shoulder to stay educated like I'm some high school kid. I could care less about MOC or the money grab that is the ABPN exam. Hopefully the ABIM concessions on MOC to their Diplomates will force the ABPN to do the same going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'd like to just drop the ABPN. The only reason I don't is because I'm a young attending and don't want to limit job choices should I move on. I could care less about MOC or the money grab that is the ABPN exam. Hopefully the ABIM concessions on MOC to their Diplomates will force the ABPN to do the same going forward.

The ABPN is more money grubbing than the ABIM. They have INCREASED requirements.

I'm glad to see the comments on that article. It shows we aren't alone. Physicians get taken advantage of by organizations because it is easy to divide and conquer individualistic doctors. I find it very ironic that the very boards that are supposed to educate and bring us together to strengthen us as a profession are preying on us financially instead.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm glad to see the comments on that article. It shows we aren't alone. Physicians get taken advantage of by organizations because it is easy to divide and conquer individualistic doctors. I find it very ironic that the very boards that are supposed to educate and bring us together to strengthen us as a profession are preying on us financially instead.

They're supposed to be our advocates.

And they're not. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Why participate when you can join NBPAS and still be board certified through them?

I'm not participating in MOC.
I'm told some hospitals and insurance organizations require ABMS board certification. If that is not true, then I will certainly keep only NBPAS. Anybody know for sure on this?

I'm told some hospitals and insurance organizations require ABMS board certification. If that is not true, then I will certainly keep only NBPAS. Anybody know for sure on this?

As stated in past NBPAS emails, the only way to enact change is through acceptance. Both by hospital systems and by insurance companies. The only people to make these changes are those in positions of power. The common schmuck doesn't stand a chance.

Our bylaws insist that we be board certified in our specialty. Otherwise we can't practice in the hospital and we can't be faculty. Kind of sucks because the test is nothing, I don't even mind the money that much, it is the MOC thing that gets me.

Reactions: 4 users
Yes. My contract requires I maintain board certification through ABPN. Which is annoying considering that the people in charge are grandfathered. End grandfathering, I say. Then see how long MOC lasts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users