Abortion elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wolf02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I'm posting for a second year fm resident at my program trying to find/set up a third year elective that will train her to proficiency in doing DnCs. She's looking for a place with a lot of volume (more than we have here) that is willing to take a resident.

Any ideas that might help her out?

Any geographical location is fine, preference given to Hawaii ;)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I rotated with an FM group that does D&Cs, granted, not for elective reasons. They are a rural group and do a lot of everything... I don't think it's the norm though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wolf02, the group MSFC.org has resources for medical students and residents who want to become abortion providers, including sites that provide rotations. I would start there.

Reactions: 2 users
FMs do D/Cs?

I wouldn't take that liability with a 10 foot pole.

Yup. All my attendings in residency were able to do this and taught all the residents as well.

In terms of the elective/fellowship you seek, I would say look up women's health fellowships on the AAFP website. Of note I believe there are programs in New York state that you give you the experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Yup. All my attendings in residency were able to do this and taught all the residents as well.

In terms of the elective/fellowship you seek, I would say look up women's health fellowships on the AAFP website. Of note I believe there are programs in New York state that you give you the experience.

Interesting.
Good to know!

Elective and therapeutic termination of pregnancy is absolutely within the scope of family medicine, as is evacuation of the uterus for other reasons, like miscarriage management. Ignore the "wouldn't touch the liability" comment.

I second approaching Med Students for Choice regarding training sites (even for residents) & would also suggest applying very early as there just aren't enough training spots for everyone who wants to learn. I've heard that Colorado has some higher volume locations (I think it's PP Rocky Mountains?) as one option. One of the difficulties is that training sites may have exclusive arrangements with local residency programs that make it difficult to set up elective rotations - we used to send some folks down to L.A. at high volume centers, but they've recently restricted their training to a couple of local residencies. Another issue is that depending on the training site, the resident may have to arrange for full licensing in that state to be able to have hands on procedural training. If this resident is looking into fellowship training opportunities, at least some of the FM-OB fellowships also teach abortion skills. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Elective and therapeutic termination of pregnancy is absolutely within the scope of family medicine, as is evacuation of the uterus for other reasons, like miscarriage management. Ignore the "wouldn't touch the liability" comment.

I second approaching Med Students for Choice regarding training sites (even for residents) & would also suggest applying very early as there just aren't enough training spots for everyone who wants to learn. I've heard that Colorado has some higher volume locations (I think it's PP Rocky Mountains?) as one option. One of the difficulties is that training sites may have exclusive arrangements with local residency programs that make it difficult to set up elective rotations - we used to send some folks down to L.A. at high volume centers, but they've recently restricted their training to a couple of local residencies. Another issue is that depending on the training site, the resident may have to arrange for full licensing in that state to be able to have hands on procedural training. If this resident is looking into fellowship training opportunities, at least some of the FM-OB fellowships also teach abortion skills. Good luck!

Did I not stand corrected?
I still wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole.

Did I not stand corrected?
I still wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole.

Your personal interest in performing a given procedure is irrelevant to the conversation unless you are contributing something specific, like information about the relative increase in malpractice premiums for a solo provider who chooses to offer first trimester abortion procedures vs within a practice group, or if you have something to say about the relative satisfaction or likelihood-to-sue for this sort of procedure vs other low risk procedures.

Lots of places will also give you "on the job training". At one point during my career, I thought of this - and there was a place in a southern state (only abortion clinic in the state) who was willing to pay me as I collected the needed amount of procedures to feel comfortable by working with an experienced provider.

Wolf02, the group MSFC.org has resources for medical students and residents who want to become abortion providers, including sites that provide rotations. I would start there.
Thank you so much! That is exactly what she was looking for. Thank you for earning me bonus points with my senior!

Everyone else, please feel free to continue detailing the thread! ;-)

I'm currently at a program in Denver and did an elective at pp of the Rockies. Definitely high volume and once I did several with attending supervision they had me running my own room for cases up to 12 weeks and with supervision for anything further. Felt pretty competent at the end of the month. Reach out early, they book up. They only take one resident at a time so I was never competing with anyone.

In med school also did a month in Chicago through msfc. Great variety of clinics and was also a great experience.