About 3 months left to test: Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonoz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am current doing some heavy rotations at medical school. However, I am set to take my step 1 in August. I have had to balance step 1 studying with my medical school learning. So, I have been preparing in a very ‘part-time’ fashion for > 5 months. This included doing the following:
  • First aid 2012: Going through it at 2 to 3 times by now.
  • Goljan: Listening to Goljan audio once without taking notes.
  • Pathoma: Watching the videos and going through the book once.
  • DIT: Watching all the videos to the end, once.
  • UWorld: I have only done about 200 questions so far. My most recent averages are in the realm of 40 to 60%. They are not very consistent at the moment. I have to also mention that these questions were done a while back before I finished DIT and pathoma. I feel like DIT has really helped make sense of a lot of the concepts and create a structure in my head. I definitely think I should see more improvement now.
  • I haven’t done any of the NBMEs or self-assessments just yet.

My target score is a 250, only because I would be happy enough with a 240 or 230. I like to aim high so that I can force myself to work harder and then it’s not the end of the world if I am even -20 points from the target score.

I’d like advice on what to do next. I have a thoroughly annotated first aid from different resources (FA2012 + Pathoma + DIT + Some UWorld; but not Goljan; I just listened to his audios).

1. What should I do next? How should I approach the remaining 3 months to bring up my UWorld averages and become more consistent? Just keep reviewing my now annotated FA + doing questions?
  2. My other concern is that I’m just not good at remembering stuff. If I look over something, next day I’ll forget it. I have to extra length to try and remember stuff. When I look at my annotated FA, there’s so much good stuff within it, but how do I go about essentially memorizing all of it? Any help or advice with this?
  3. I realize that I am using FA2012. Would it be a good idea to go through FA2014 and add any changes or additions from that to my annotated FA?
  4. What averages should I be aiming for on each block of 46 questions on UWorld?
  5. Anything else?

It is definitely going to be tricky since I am doing my rotation stuff as well. I will get a good 6 to 7 weeks of free time before the exam to do some final prep in August.

This is such an important test in anyone’s life. I truly appreciate any help or guidance I can receive from you guys.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I realize that I am using FA2012. Would it be a good idea to go through FA2014 and add any changes or additions from that to my annotated FA?
Yes. Though It'd probably be easier to run through FA14 with a dark highlighter over the period of 2-3 days - highlight everything you know cold. whatever is left is what you need to work on.

Reactions: 1 user
First aid 2012? WTF.

Of all the first aids, you choose the absolute worst edition with (legitimately) 40 pages of errata.

You'd be better off with a First aid from the 90's. Get 2014.

Jesus dude, having owned 2012 in the past and throwing in the trash, evening hearing you say that makes me cringe.

Keep in mind, even if you corrected all the errors from the last errata, there is a point where they no longer update, and a lot of errors actually do not get reported. I wouldn't be supprised if 30% of the things you read/learned from it are in fact incorrect.

Even if you think your copy is 100% fullproof and your corrected everything, get 2014 anyway. The updates and organization is amazing. Really, the updates on graphics, charts, tables, etc. make learning a lot of the stuff way easier.

Already learned everything? Still get 2014 and read it cover to cover then, challange yourself to see if you understand it they way its presented now. I think it will make some other stuff really come together for you.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Thanks, I'll definitely go through the new first aid now.

Any other advice?

Once you go through each block of uworld , what is the most efficient way to review your answers?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Thanks, I'll definitely go through the new first aid now.

Any other advice?

Once you go through each block of uworld , what is the most efficient way to review your answers?

You dont want to cut corners reviewing the answers... you have enough time to really study the explanations to each question and this means reviewing both right and wrong answer choices

You dont want to cut corners reviewing the answers... you have enough time to really study the explanations to each question and this means reviewing both right and wrong answer choices

I dont do that.

Actually, having done so many questions, and Rx multiple times, I find that I really hate the uworld explanations.

They are long, and wayyy over explain all you needed to know to get the question right. I think its a huge time sink.

The explanation may be a good source for those people who never used books, or dont have a good foundation, but for those of us in the know, I don't need to read multiple paragraphs about why I got the question right, I got it right, because I knew the right answer.

Even when I get questions wrong, I just go to the educational objective, because it's usually some minor detail that I missed, and not a whole gap in knowledge. Lucky me.

Last edited:
Even when I get questions wrong, I just go to the educational objective, because it's usually some minor detail that I missed, and not a whole gap in knowledge. Lucky me.

You are so smart. I wish I could be as smart as you. I hate my big knowledge gaps.. Ughhh So jealous

Reviewing the answers takes some personal discretion. If you got the question wrong because you had no idea what any of the 8 antiarrhythmics they listed are, then maybe you need to go through all the answers. If you got the question wrong because you accidentally picked metabolic acidosis when the pH was stated to be 7.65, then you just need to slap yourself for missing something obvious and move on.

Reactions: 1 users