About fellowships.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anis78

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are the chances of getting a fellowship in surgery for those who did their residency training in another country (e.g: New Zealand) & which fellowships would accept residency training overseas. is there a better chance of matching if the candidate has an ECFMG certificate ?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the difference between a cardiothoracic fellowship and a cardiothoracic residency?
Thanks

Originally posted by mustang
What is the difference between a cardiothoracic fellowship and a cardiothoracic residency?
Thanks

One and the same. CT surgery is generally finished AFTER a general surgery residency and is therefore, considered a fellowship, although there are some combined programs out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody can provide info about the original topic ??

Anis78, I thought - and could very well be wrong here - that residency for surgery had to be done in the US before you could be issued a license - the exception being Canada. I was told that by a guy from somewhere in South America, who had been a practicing surgeon there, and was having to completely repeat residency here in order to practice.

Anyone else know about this?

Yeah, womansurg is correct. I remember back when I was a pre-med working at my county hospital, one of the FP residents used to be a thoracic surgeon back in Egypt. Obviously, he would have liked to stay in that field, but was required to do an American residency to get his liscense here in the U.S. and FP was the residency he got.