About how long does it take to produce the 1st antibody against an infection (I emphasis 1st)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When a foreign antigen invades the body, about how long does it take for the first antibody to be produced against that antigen?

Note, I am asking about the 1st antibody, NOT about when the antibody level will become detectable. I'm thinking that the answer is likely to be hours or minutes after the invasion or after a macrophage ingests the antigen. Can anyone confirm or correct me?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Its going to be pretty quick, I would assume somewhere around the hours mark. Whats the basis of the question? It takes days for a primary immune response to become detectable and even longer still to be able to create an effective secondary response. Also, I was fairly certain the first B cell that comes in contact acts sort of like the first antibody, and signals the rest of the immune system to start cranking them out. Its been a few years since I did immunology.