About my ECs and questions between post bacc and SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryomagoku

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello,

I am a third year as biochemistry major at one of the universities in California.

I've been wondering about my ecs and thinking if I need to do more, if so, then what should I do?
So far, I've been volunteering at the hospital for about 1 year and half. I've done about 1000 hours.
I was also part of the leadership team, which I did ~350hours for good 6months.
I joined Optometry club last spring just because my friend wanted me to go with him.
I have been doing research for 3 quarters.
No shadowing experience yet, but hopefully I get to do it soon. (I don't know how people find Dr.s' email addresses; and please let me know how to find a doctor to shadow because I don't have family doctor.)
I just joined non-clinical volunteer organization.

This is as far as I have so far.

Please let me know if I should do any more.

Also, my GPA is not great. And, I just want to give a shot at MD schools too so I don't regret for not giving a shot.

So, I am still not sure the difference between SMP and post bacc. Can B.S. Biochemistry graduate go to post bacc and SMP?

Can I just retake classes at the community college? not a good idea????

I seriously have no clue.

Thank you so much!

I hope you guys have a wonderful day!

Messages or comments are always welcome! :D!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
looks like your extracurricular is plenty. I think smp is better than postbacc but it's extremely expensive. going to cc is cheaper, but it'll unstructured and lacks support system. people usually go to postbacc/smp because there's a linkage (help you save gap year time. remember it's usually 1)gpa/mcat 2)everything else. try applying and if fails, find out why you failed and fix it/apply again. your postbacc/smp need will depend on what you need. some are gpa enhancers while change of career types. gotta do the research and decide