About Nova dental school:<

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

passion7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you decide to choose dental school check how many D5 students are working in the clinic, right now about Fourty students remain as D5 and we don't have enough chairs to seat our patients, they try to get so many IDG students without considering how many seats they have.

This is so important to finish dental school on time and I would NOT choose Nova if I knew about this problem.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought they opened off site clinics to avoid this problem?

If you decide to choose dental school check how many D5 students are working in the clinic, right now about Fourty students remain as D5 and we don't have enough chairs to seat our patients, they try to get so many IDG students without considering how many seats they have.

This is so important to finish dental school on time and I would NOT choose Nova if I knew about this problem.

I completely agree!!! I am currently a student and the school is ran so ineptly. Most of my class is behind in their requirements and there's no one who is willing to help you. The general consensus is that Nova only cares about money. If I had know how bad this was going to be I would have definitely chosen a different school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I completely agree!!! I am currently a student and the school is ran so ineptly. Most of my class is behind in their requirements and there's no one who is willing to help you. The general consensus is that Nova only cares about money. If I had know how bad this was going to be I would have definitely chosen a different school.
What year are you in D school idunonotknow???

NOVA is a not-for-profit university....confused about the money comment

NOVA is a not-for-profit university....confused about the money comment

Me too, i wish they had 4th years give us a tour not bunch of first years who were all excited about their first semester in D school.

I hope more upper year NOVA students with credible SDN accounts come and give their honest opinion.

Me too, i wish they had 4th years give us a tour not bunch of first years who were all excited about their first semester in D school.

I hope more upper year NOVA students with credible SDN accounts come and give their honest opinion.

just curious as to why you would hope this if you're already a dentist as your status suggests?

I graduated in 09; so my knowledge may be a little outdated. Nova; like any other dental school has it's issues but nothing too major. If u have any specific questions let me know

I will say that when I applied there last year I was VERY unimpressed by their response time and overall communication with applicants. 90% of the time when I called I would get a voicemail. When I left one I never got a call back, etc etc.
Quite glad I didn't reapply there this year.

I will say that when I applied there last year I was VERY unimpressed by their response time and overall communication with applicants. 90% of the time when I called I would get a voicemail. When I left one I never got a call back, etc etc.
Quite glad I didn't reapply there this year.

Good for you I guess. I too am glad you did not reapply to Nova. BTW you just described pretty much every dental school I applied to, except that I have not had the same treatment from Nova as you have...maybe they just don't like you.

Good for you I guess. I too am glad you did not reapply to Nova. BTW you just described pretty much every dental school I applied to, except that I have not had the same treatment from Nova as you have...maybe they just don't like you.

I haven't had the experience of not being able to get a hold of a real person for weeks at any other school, and I've communicated with at least 10 schools. I've heard the same things from other people who have applied as well. There's also the fact that after interviewing there last year I never heard back at all. No wait list, no acceptance, no rejection, nothing. I called a minimum of 6 times to try and get an update and was always told "we'll notify you when the board makes a decision". In my opinion, this is VERY POOR communication on their part. I'm sorry if you're offended by my experience, however, it doesn't change what experience I have had with them. The OP was sharing his experience with the school, and I'm doing the same. Maybe you've had a great experience with them, if so, good for you.

Haters gonna hate

Last edited:
Man it seems like there sure are a lot of unhappy students from NOVA. It's weird. Everybody seemed really happy when I went there. It was my top choice before hearing all of the negative comments posted from current NOVA students. Fortunately, I got into some other schools. I definitely would go there if it was the only school I got into though. It sounds like it might be harder to finish on time, but definitely doable. If I were any of you guys who plan on attending next year, I would try to talk to some current students to see what you can do to make sure you aren't one of those students who doesn't finish on time. Congrats on getting accepted everyone. I think you guys will have a blast!

education is what you make it... there were plenty of people that complained like crazy at Boise State, but I loved the school. Every school has their down sides, as I am sure Nova does. But because a few people with only 1-10 posts say that Nova is the worst dental school on earth doesn't mean its true. Bottom line is that Nova is an accredited dental school that is not even on yearly reporting status, like some other dental schools. People hate on other good dental schools like NYU. Like I said before, haters gonna hate.

what is your top choice now Atlanta?

Last edited:
I graduated in 09; so my knowledge may be a little outdated. Nova; like any other dental school has it's issues but nothing too major. If u have any specific questions let me know

I took you up on your offer and sent you a PM...

I wont lie..... my interview experience at NOVA was, well, strange. I got somewhat of a creepy vibe and felt very uneasy about only meeting D1's. My group was also not able to see the clinics and we were given a bit of a run around when we asked about availability of patients.

I also agree with another of the posters here about haters hating. Everyone has an opinion. If NOVA is right for you then go there, period. Trust me, even the almighty UCSF and UW have their problems, such is life.

it was the only school that I interviewed at which D1s who just finished first semester toured us. And these students had no idea as to what the clinic is like.
They kept saying "I am so excited". Well, that's nice but I want some real experience.

I was shown lecture rooms, cafeteria, study room, library, but was not shown a clinic. We saw a door to the clinic.

That's when I realized that this school wasn't for me.
Plus it was 33 that day so I was dying.

it was the only school that I interviewed at which D1s who just finished first semester toured us. And these students had no idea as to what the clinic is like.
They kept saying "I am so excited". Well, that's nice but I want some real experience.

I was shown lecture rooms, cafeteria, study room, library, but was not shown a clinic. We saw a door to the clinic.

That's when I realized that this school wasn't for me.
Plus it was 33 that day so I was dying.

Well, my interview at NOVA was really good and all schools have problems but you are gonna overcome them anyway, many people liked where I went to school in undergrad but i didn't like it at all. It's all personal preferences.

I took you up on your offer and sent you a PM...

sorry about the late reply; i'm going to paste your question here for everybody to see:

Hi Omaralt,

I was wondering if you could share with me about your experiences at Nova and those of your colleagues.

I'm under the impression that the first 2 years there will be quite fun (as dental school goes), but the last 2 years in clinic will be brutal trying to get it done, especially w/ the economy and patients etc.

I've also heard that the S. Florida area is saturated and so many students go for AEGD and GPRs to hide it out.

I'm grateful to any help you can offer. Do you practice in FL?

-SimpleJack

1- about the first two years being fun; it's just like any other dental school; lots of studying and lab work. however, during your free times your in south florida, not middle of nowhere iowa. so ya it is a lot more fun than most other locations. the beach is 10 mins away, you have downtown miami 30 mins away, etc. it's a fun place to be.

my personal experience were that the last two years were easier. i didnt mess around my 3rd year (as many people do) and finished the majority of my requirments during 3rd year. so 4th yr i had more free time to concentrate on part II boards, licensure exams, and finding a job. i cant imagine being stressed out about requirements and boards/licensure, etc
there are plenty of willing patients here; the school did (still does?) have a problem getting them to you. i would see patients come off the street to become patients and the front desk would tell them that the waiting list is closed and to come back in 3 months! all this when many of my classmates were desperate for patients. i dunno if its the same way now.

s. florida is definitely saturated with dentists (like any major city) but there are jobs if you really want to stay there; a few of my classmates are working there; mostly for the chain clinics. i moved up to tampa where it's a lot better

overall i had a great time at nova; the school could definitely be better; but any school can. at the end of the day the school just gives you a degree and the foundation of what you need; the rest is up to you. it's really what you make of it and your attitude. some of my classmates were the happiest people you'll meet while others were miserable. it's difficult to be miserable in s. florida