About research, please explain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jackofknives

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m just curious, does Gait analysis and locomotion research have anything to do with the clinical aspect of orthopedic surgery? Also, do ortho surgeons themselves research in bone biology and biomechanics?

I’m young and naïve, so please excuse the newbieness.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

from what i've experienced, those orthopds that do do research, are often involved with clinical research; those that do basic science are more biomechanics, very few you'll find, do molecular bone biology, although i did work for one before, it's relatively rare, at least in my opinion, compared to those others areas of research I mentioned above.

Thank you for the reply. Could you explain what aspects of biomechanics are you referring to and is most common for ortho surgeons to do basic research in, bone mechanics, locomotion mechanics, muscle mechanics or something else?

I'm also interested in knowing about the relevance of gait analysis and locomotion research to ortho. Although I think it is quite relevant because scientists use gait analysis to test newly designed procedures such as hip and knee replacement.

I'd appreciate if anyone, esp. an ortho surgeon could comment on this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply. Could you explain what aspects of biomechanics are you referring to and is most common for ortho surgeons to do basic research in, bone mechanics, locomotion mechanics, muscle mechanics or something else?

I’m also interested in knowing about the relevance of gait analysis and locomotion research to ortho. Although I think it is quite relevant because scientists use gait analysis to test newly designed procedures such as hip and knee replacement.

I’d appreciate if anyone, esp. an ortho surgeon could comment on this.
If you want ideas on gait analysis and how physicians in PM&R and Ortho use gait analysis tools to do research, check out some of the following:

Gillette Children's Hospital - a very good clinical lab, to give you an idea of the analysis process.

GCMAS is the big US gait science group, but there's an European equivalent, and they had a joint meeting recently. They still have a bunch of their papers, posters, etc. up. Explore these, and you'll get an idea of the field.

Hey newbie, I'm not yet an orthopedist, but I just want to say: that even though most practicing ortho surgeons don't do bone biology; it can be a great asset for a premed or a med student to have some experience in a bio lab under their belt.

Most surgeons don't have enough time to spend in a lab to get significant research done, so if they do research they tend to be more involved in clinical projects.

In the future, advances in bone biology will likely change what we're doing in the OR. So if you have the opportunity, interest, and talent to get results in a bone biology lab, i think that you should go for it.

I’m just curious, does Gait analysis and locomotion research have anything to do with the clinical aspect of orthopedic surgery? Also, do ortho surgeons themselves research in bone biology and biomechanics?

I’m young and naïve, so please excuse the newbieness.

First off, disregard anything that these d-bags say who are NOT orthopods (or even medical students).

There are plenty of orthopods who are interested in bo ne biology, enigneering and gait. Do a quick PubMed search and you will find a list as long as your arm of MDs who are doing research in these areas.

Anecdotal nonsense from the ignorant is about as useful as t*ts on fish.

D-bag out.