Other OT-Related Information About to be dismissed from my MSOT program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think the professors are arguing that since the classes build on each other, they can't be reteaching material from one class in another class. That is one thing that hurt my grade in one of my classes. The department head is sympathetic, but he's an external hire and hasn't been there that long, so can't herd the faculty into doing things his way. Not sure pressure from the dean would help. When I spoke with Disability Services, they said that I am not entitled to any extra "help" that other students aren't getting. Many of the students have developed strong bonds with each other and/or have roommates in the program. So they have people to help them study and ask questions of each other.

Even if the disability accommodation is approved, the professors can retaliate in a backhanded way and refuse to help me on other things. One has already implied that I don't have what it takes to complete OT school or be an OT in a busy hospital. I don't know if she feels threatened because I'm a year or two older than her (based on comparisons with her graduation date) and had a successful career in another field before deciding to switch to OT.

Saying that I paid a lot for tuition so I should get my money's worth isn't the way to go about it, unfortunately. My advisor recently said that the conversations I have had with professors have been taken as criticism, and the only time I should be providing feedback is at the end of the semester course reviews.

So saying that I and half the students in the back can't see and giving suggestions as to what they could do in the short-term so that more people could see is criticism? What I learned in the work world is never bring up a problem unless you have a solution. And to bring things up when you see them as opposed to later on. Or at least in the field I was in, it was speak up or get trampled upon.

I have an appointment with the director of Disability Services on Monday. I will see what she thinks my options are.

Right now I'm torn between thinking that a little time off would be very beneficial (but very financially detrimental), and thinking that returning to a full course load in a year after time off is going to destroy my health, mentally and physically.

If your school is not willing to accommodate you, then perhaps it is time to look for a school that will. I can't remember the exact name, but I came across one school that allowed their students to go part time if needed, and allowed students to spread out their program to as long as 5 years. I believe the school was Springfield in MA( I could be wrong though so don't quote me on this). If you're gpa ain't bad(meaning you are in good standing), it wouldn't hurt to call these schools.

Something to think about: it's better to fight for an accommodation irregardless of your professor's opinions of you and still get your degree and graduate, then to not fight and risk failing out of your program because you couldn't handle it.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, some of my poor performance in a class this spring has been due to not getting the accommodations I am supposed to. And working my butt off in a class studying the wrong material because the teacher didn't give guidance in the first half of the semester.

Thank you for your reply, I never thought about it from that aspect before. It would indeed seem fishy if I were transfer out of my COTA program into another OT program. Plus it wouldn't be fair to both the COTA school and other students who have completed their bachelor's already also.

On another note, I have an upcoming interview on the 25th for an MSOT school! The downside, however is that this school is about 6 hours away from where I live. I may skype the school, however would it better for me to take the 6 hour drive to personally visit the school and talk to the faculty? I am thinking that me driving all the way there would make a good impression and shows how serious I am about attending the program. Thoughts?

I think it is much more advantageous to attend the interview in person. Allow them to get to know you better. People all over the country fly into their interviews. It is pretty standard. Interviewing isn't just that 20-30 minutes. It is the way you conduct yourself among faculty and peers. It is you showing interest in your education and future in occupational therapy.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is much more advantageous to attend the interview in person. Allow them to get to know you better. People all over the country fly into their interviews. It is pretty standard. Interviewing isn't just that 20-30 minutes. It is the way you conduct yourself among faculty and peers. It is you showing interest in your education and future in occupational therapy.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I've already scheduled a skype interview with them, however I will call the school tomorrow and ask if I can visit there instead. By visiting there it shows just how serious i am about attending that program. The 6 hour drive is worth it, in my opinion. I have nothing to lose anyway. This school has taken enough interest to invite me for an interview and it's a chance I am extremely grateful for.

Unfortunately, some of my poor performance in a class this spring has been due to not getting the accommodations I am supposed to. And working my butt off in a class studying the wrong material because the teacher didn't give guidance in the first half of the semester.

This reminds during my time at my old program. Do you have any close friends you can buddy up with or offer some help? Are there any upper years you can ask for some tips or advice from? At my old program I didn't have much "study buddies" with, however I did have one very close friend and we both looked out after each other although ultimately I didn't make the cut in the end. However, if you are forced to be alone like some people are you will just have to stick it out. There were also other people in my former class who worked alone but still somehow managed to get decent grades.

This reminds during my time at my old program. Do you have any close friends you can buddy up with or offer some help? Are there any upper years you can ask for some tips or advice from? At my old program I didn't have much "study buddies" with, however I did have one very close friend and we both looked out after each other although ultimately I didn't make the cut in the end. However, if you are forced to be alone like some people are you will just have to stick it out. There were also other people in my former class who worked alone but still somehow managed to get decent grades.

I think it is always different. I feel comfortable with my entire cohort. There are also consistent people that I can study in a group with. If you need that accountability, then it is up to you to make it happen. It seems that you like group studying while I do know some people work better individually. You just got to find people with great habits that not only compliment yours but where you can learn from.

I think it is always different. I feel comfortable with my entire cohort. There are also consistent people that I can study in a group with. If you need that accountability, then it is up to you to make it happen. It seems that you like group studying while I do know some people work better individually. You just got to find people with great habits that not only compliment yours but where you can learn from.

I don't have close study buddies, or many close friends within the program. It's really large and I'm older and from a different background. I tried to do group studying this semester with splitting up group electronic flashcards, but one person did great flashcards, while another person did flashcards that didn't make sense to me and didn't cover the most important material. Living alone puts me at a disadvantage for those things where you need to practice on a person - locating landmarks, manual muscle testing, transfers, etc. I typically do better studying on my own, and then maybe supplementing with another person at the end.

I don't have close study buddies, or many close friends within the program. It's really large and I'm older and from a different background. I tried to do group studying this semester with splitting up group electronic flashcards, but one person did great flashcards, while another person did flashcards that didn't make sense to me and didn't cover the most important material. Living alone puts me at a disadvantage for those things where you need to practice on a person - locating landmarks, manual muscle testing, transfers, etc. I typically do better studying on my own, and then maybe supplementing with another person at the end.

This may sound weird, but have you ever thought about perhaps buying a life sized stuff animal or doll to practice with? That is what I would do if I didn't have anyone to practice with or if my classmates didn't want to practice with me. You can use handling techniques on the doll/toy and even practice your communication with it. Sounds pretty weird but I think its actually a great thing to do. You can get one of those huge teddy bears.

A life size doll would help with transfers, but what I really need is a human forearm and all finger/thumb joints.

If I try it on the cat he will claw me to death. Doesn't like having claws clipped and this will feel like that.

Last edited:
A life size doll would help with transfers, but what I really need is a human forearm and all finger/thumb joints.

Let your classmates know you need someone to practice on, or go to a student center and ask for a volunteer. Maybe one of those anatomy tutors? Ideally, you need to practice on a real human being

UPDATE: Accepted into Bay Path's MSOT program! I just got my acceptance email today. I will think very thoroughly and extensively about attending however because I actually know students who have struggled in that program and even one who was dismissed from it. I am also very interested in going into another school's program and will interview with them this upcoming saturday. If I attend Bay Path, I will definitely go part time there.

UPDATE: Accepted into Bay Path's MSOT program! I just got my acceptance email today. I will think very thoroughly and extensively about attending however because I actually know students who have struggled in that program and even one who was dismissed from it. I am also very interested in going into another school's program and will interview with them this upcoming saturday. If I attend Bay Path, I will definitely go part time there.
Congrats! I've read their new facility is opening up over the summer, so they're stepping up their game. A friend goes to Bay Path for undergrad, and she's had a good experience, but she's in the psych program (but has taken her pre-reqs there). If you decide to go there, I hope you post a 1 year update for us or something. ;)

Congratulations on your acceptance!

You said students struggled/were dismissed at Bay Path. Do you know the reasons?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys, I knew a student who struggled with group projects there and ended up falling below an 80 percent or something. It was supposedly heavily researched based. The student told me you had to maintain an 80 in all of the subjects. Still, I am extremely grateful and lucky to having at least been given a chance by Bay Path. I realize not every student gets a second chance, especially someone in my position. I still have my upcoming interview and the COTA school as the other option as well. The COTA school I was accepted to had a very warm and friendly faculty and student environment. Its also a small school and I really liked it. I definitely need to think things through before reaching a final decision on what my next steps are.

I agree. I think you should go visit the school and faculty. It would be an opportunity to show them how dedicated you are and for you to see the school.

Thanks guys, I knew a student who struggled with group projects there and ended up falling below an 80 percent or something. It was supposedly heavily researched based. The student told me you had to maintain an 80 in all of the subjects. Still, I am extremely grateful and lucky to having at least been given a chance by Bay Path. I realize not every student gets a second chance, especially someone in my position. I still have my upcoming interview and the COTA school as the other option as well. The COTA school I was accepted to had a very warm and friendly faculty and student environment. Its also a small school and I really liked it. I definitely need to think things through before reaching a final decision on what my next steps are.

I got accepted to Bay Path too. I was wondering if you could tell me more information about what you learned from other student experience there. Thanks.

I got accepted to Bay Path too. I was wondering if you could tell me more information about what you learned from other student experience there. Thanks.

Congrats to you! The student I knew didn't really want to talk about what happened. The student just said that he/she was struggling to maintain a 80 in all the classes and one group project really messed up the student's grade for one class. This is why if I decide to attend baypath I will attend part time to be on the safe side(also need to pay off loans). After my interview I'm going to call baypath and actually take a trip there as well.

Last edited:
Congrats to you! The student I knew didn't really want to talk about what happened. The student just said that he/she was struggling to maintain a 80 in all the classes and one group project really messed up the student's grade for one class. This is why if I decide to attend baypath I will attend part time to be on the safe side(also need to pay off loans). After my interview I'm going to call baypath and actually take a trip there as well.
Hi there! I was just wondering if you don't mind giving an update with what you decided to do? Did you decide on attending Bay Path or did you end up pursing COTA instead?

Just came across this posting.. Did the OP end up at Bay Path?

I am in a similar situation. I was dismissed from my program after 1 semester. I moved far from home, did not adjust to the new environment well, and my LD from childhood came back with a vengence. I am in the process of appeal but really scared. This was the only school that accepted me after two cycles of applications and I am so angry at myself for messing up my chance. Anyone have any insight on getting into a school after being academically dismissed from another?

For those of you wondering......I PASSED OT SCHOOL, GRADUATED, AND CURRENTLY STUDYING FOR BOARDS!!!!! Looking back at this thread and wow, I can't believe it. My school experience at my new school has been absolutely wonderful and I loved every minute of being there. Will be creating a new thread, once I hopefully pass my boards. Also bump ;)

Reactions: 14 users
For those of you wondering......I PASSED OT SCHOOL, GRADUATED, AND CURRENTLY STUDYING FOR BOARDS!!!!! Looking back at this thread and wow, I can't believe it. My school experience at my new school has been absolutely wonderful and I loved every minute of being there. Will be creating a new thread, once I hopefully pass my boards. Also bump ;)

Congratulations!

Looking forward to reading about your experiences and how this school was different from the other.

Congratulations! I am new to reading this thread, but I'm truly so happy for you! You've worked so hard and I believe you will pass the boards with flying colors :) Thank you for sharing your journey with us!

Also, I'm so glad I read this. I've always had the mindset of, "Doesn't matter which school you go to, as long as you get in," but now I realize...the individual program matters! I'm still super curious about the program that you originally attended - not sure if disclosing that information is still out of the question.

OMG I just read this whole post and sadness of the struggle of being dismissed from OT school to the suspense of whether or not Confusedandlostone would get into another program was killing me! I just got accepted into OT school but I don't start until January. My biggest fear is being dismissed or having to withdraw from my program. I'm SO happy that this story has a happy ending :) It is awesome to know that everything worked out in the end and you're following your dream! Congrats!!

Reactions: 3 users
OMG I just read this whole post and sadness of the struggle of being dismissed from OT school to the suspense of whether or not Confusedandlostone would get into another program was killing me! I just got accepted into OT school but I don't start until January. My biggest fear is being dismissed or having to withdraw from my program. I'm SO happy that this story has a happy ending :) It is awesome to know that everything worked out in the end and you're following your dream! Congrats!!

Kind of a side note, but where will you be attending? ☺️

my feels

Thank you everyone! Waiting for my transcripts to be sent and finally schedule an exam date. If anyone needs advise on anything OT related, whether it be admissions, academics, fieldwork, or getting through all of it, if you are a student struggling and going through hard times, please do not hesitate to message me! For those of you about to embark on this journey, good luck!

Reactions: 7 users
Thank you everyone! Waiting for my transcripts to be sent and finally schedule an exam date. If anyone needs advise on anything OT related, whether it be admissions, academics, fieldwork, or getting through all of it, if you are a student struggling and going through hard times, please do not hesitate to message me! For those of you about to embark on this journey, good luck!
Hello! I'm applying to many schools this cycle and I want to make sure I pick the best that suits me. If you have any advice on how to tell if a program will suit you please share. Thanks!!

Passed, and been working in SNF, saving up money. Life is good right now :).

Please if anyone is currently struggling or in general is going through difficult times, do not hesitate to message me or email me. I would gladly be here to talk and give some advice to those who truly need it.

Love ya guys,
A.J.S.

Passed, and been working in SNF, saving up money. Life is good right now :).

Please if anyone is currently struggling or in general is going through difficult times, do not hesitate to message me or email me. I would gladly be here to talk and give some advice to those who truly need it.

Love ya guys,
A.J.S.

Hey I saw your post about not receiving accommodations. Did you ever report it? How did that go?
I’m struggling big time with the head of my department being an absolute witch about my accommodations and the school worked with me to fix it but I still feel stigmatized and am considering reporting it after I graduate. I’m doing really well in school it just sucks.

Hey I saw your post about not receiving accommodations. Did you ever report it? How did that go?
I’m struggling big time with the head of my department being an absolute witch about my accommodations and the school worked with me to fix it but I still feel stigmatized and am considering reporting it after I graduate. I’m doing really well in school it just sucks.
You know schools read these posts and they can easily figure out who you are - just saying.