About to become an engineer, even the idea sucks. (You'll see the irony)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ControlEngineeringStudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everbody,

This post will be a long one, you dont need to read every sentence of it (just scroll down to see my question). but I'd really appretiate if you take the time to read it. Because my story is important if you really want to understand my question. I need sound advices.

First of all, I live where MCAT's, pre-medical school and etc.. doesn't exist. So, I will give you some
information about how I am supposed to apply for medical school in my country, because; it is important
for your advices to be applicable to me.

I'll also share some backgroud story about me because I need you to understand how I got here.

Let's start;

I'm a 22 y/o male who is about to become an Control and Automation Engineer (I am in the last year of the undergrad program), I study in one of the top 3 universities for engineering in my country.
I started computer programming at 6th grade. I was already designing and programming dynamic web
pages at end of 8th grade ( the end of middle school in my country ). Around that time, I started to get
interested in hacking, and at 9th grade I wrote codes for a keylogger (basically a program to log
everything you type in a computer without you knowing it.), a type of malicious script like c99 and r57 .
At 10th grade, I sold my first web design and programmed a little game for my big sister to help her with
a term project for a lecture of hers ( And she got A+ :nod: ). In the 3rd year of high school, I reverse
engineered a program ,written for a girl by one of my friends, where he confessed love for the girl :naughty:
( he was not amused :hardy: )

As you can see ; I always liked programming, designing and creating like an engineer would/should do. I always liked dealing with objects, machines and trying to understand how they work. It was a great hobby for me and I had a lot of fun while doing those things (and a lot more than I told above), also made some money in the meantime :). But now, I actually hate being in front of a computer and
programming all day; Even so, for a project that promises future and money. I do not exactly know where or when I lost interest, but did. In fact my passion for machines turned into hatred. I do not want to spend the rest of my life dealing with machines or designing them or being around them. I believe that this transformation was a process rather than a realization after a spark in my mind.

In the last year of high school, I only studied for the university enterence exam (Actually I did not have time to do anything else).
In my country, in order to get into a undergrad program, you need to take an enterence exam which consists of 2 sessions in which you solve 250 questions in total related to math, biology, physics, chemistery, geomerty, history, language, geography and philosophy. Depending on your score in the exam; you choose which university and what kind of undergrad program you want to enroll (nothing else is required, only the score is important).

You should know my studying routine for the exam, because if I wanted to get in to a med school, I'd
have to go through less hard-core version of that kind of process again.
In weekdays, it was like this;
- Since I still had to graduate from high school, I had studied 7 hours a day in school (for school exams and for the enterence exam).
- After official school hours, I spent 2 more hours in school where teachers stayed too to teach us more and solve problems that we could not solve on our own.
- After that I did go to a course where teachers teach us even more and solve questions to prepare us for the enterence exam. I spent 2 hours there too.
- After that, I went to my dormitory and depending on my mental status, I studied 1 to 4 hours more (usually solved new questions).
In weekends;
-I just went to the couse and studied 6 hours in both saturday and sunday.

The year I studied for the enterece exam was very hard-core. This routine continued like that for 9 months, and felt like 4 years.

I never wanted to be a medical doctor untill the end of the freshman year. The idea of studying at least 6 years was dreadfull. Also it did not matter whom ever I asked, doctors always discouraged me. They complained about the salary, they complained about the patients, they complained about the healthcare system, they complained hours and about everything you can think of. When I think back, I realize that I asked to the wrong people. Those doctors always talked to me about the cons and bad sides. They never talked about the satisfaction of helping a person. Turns out I don't really care about workload, last semester I had to write around 1000 pages (I am not taking account the codes I had to wrote) in total for 3 different lectures and 9 different assignments . Of course, it may be wrong to compare this with the workload in medical school, but you should keep in mind that I hated every second of doing those assignments (believe me, time flowed very slow :bang:).

The idea of becoming a doctor slowly emerged in my mind, it was easy to ignore at first. After 3 years of
education to become an engineer , more than 60 weekdays of fulltime internship and seeing what engineers do when they work. I started to hate the idea of becoming one. And the idea of being a doctor started to grow into a passion (How ironic ha ?).

So my question is actually comes this
; You see, I HAD a passion (or at least interest ) in machines, and I started to hate them when I am about to become an engineer (I'm going to finish my current undergrad program before applying for med school if I ever apply) . I'm really passionate about becoming a doctor, HECK! just reading posts in this forum makes me excited and happy and gives me hope :biglove: .
But I'll be taking great risks, if I want to go to med school. I also have responsibilities for example my family needs/wants me to work and earn money (my father is retired and my mom was always a housewife and never worked.). I do not think they will be able to support me. But not the risks nor the responsibilities worry me much, I worry that somewhere along the path of becoming a doctor, I may do the same thing I did with engineering and machines.

So what do you think ? What are the chances of the same thing happening ? Should I stay an engineer go on with my life or Should I at least try to become a doctor ?

Members don't see this ad.

Would you be attempting to come to the US for medical school or to go to med school in your own country? If it's the former, you will likely need to redo most or all of your UG at a US college in order to apply for US med schools. Even with a US UG degree, you will still have a very hard time gaining entry into a US school if you are not a US citizen or at least a permanent resident (with a green card).

If it's the latter, please tell me what country you are from, and I will move this thread to the appropriate international forum for you. We're pretty much all Americans and/or internationals training in America here.

Reactions: 1 user
thanks for your answer, i want to go to med school in my own country which is Turkey.
But my question is not really related to location, it is rather related to whether this passion Im feeling about medicine is something that may decay in time as it did with engineering or not. I asked in this thread because as I went through posts in this thread I've seen a lot of people who changed from engineering to practicing medicine. But their concerns were different than mine due to the education system in US being different than it is in mine.
Giving the risks of passion decaying about medicine as the passion for engineering did, what kind of path should I take ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you volunteer with patients in hospitals or clinics as we do here? If so, start hanging around sick and injured people to see if this is your true calling.

thanks for your answer, i want to go to med school in my own country which is Turkey.
But my question is not really related to location, it is rather related to whether this passion Im feeling about medicine is something that may decay in time as it did with engineering or not. I asked in this thread because as I went through posts in this thread I've seen a lot of people who changed from engineering to practicing medicine. But their concerns were different than mine due to the education system in US being different than it is in mine.
Giving the risks of passion decaying about medicine as the passion for engineering did, what kind of path should I take ?

I know some people, I will ask if there is a possibility like that. But I don't think that there would be, because I've never heard anybody volunteering in a hospital.