About to finish college with a 2.3 GPA, can this mess even be fixed now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sometimes, a little hope is just what he needs.
I agree. But it has to be coupled with reality.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree. But it has to be coupled with reality.

True. However, I don't think the OP has truly tried yet. If he did, then it is a cause of concern. Let's see how he does without the family drama.

would the op benefit from a "fresh start"?
granted he would have to retake courses and spend the time and money....
taking the time and firstly doing the necessary pre-reqs? He should be able to test out of remedial coursework saving time in that area..
would it be more beneficial to have an opportunity to begin with a high GPA and refresh information necessary to do well on the DAT, rather than try to raise a low gpa?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
No and your academic background is too weak to pursue any health professional schools. To be frank, the blame lies with you rather than your parents. Your parents were nice enough to pay for your college education and you couldn't even put effort into studying and now blame your academic failure on your parents.

Even if you can somehow change your study habits drastically and get 4.0 in postbac, which seems doubtful at best, there's a good chance you won't be considered due to your extremely low GPA. Save your money and time and go look for a job with your degree unless you know you can get all As in postbac, 22+ on DAT, and still face a lot of rejections.
I had a worse GPA than OP, got a great job worked for 8 years in NYC, great salary, quit and went back to school. Did my postbacc in a year (4.11) and scored a 22/23/22 on the DAT and applied after that same year. Got accepted and I am now finishing my first year of dental school. Don't waste time getting a job if you know what you want to do but are just settling for less. Just aim and don't look back. My biggest regret is not doing it sooner.

Reactions: 6 users
I had a worse GPA than OP, got a great job worked for 8 years in NYC, great salary, quit and went back to school. Did my postbacc in a year (4.11) and scored a 22/23/22 on the DAT and applied after that same year. Got accepted and I am now finishing my first year of dental school. Don't waste time getting a job if you know what you want to do but are just settling for less. Just aim and don't look back. My biggest regret is not doing it sooner.

How did you do a post bac in a year if your gpa was lower than the OP? Just curious.

How did you do a post bac in a year if your gpa was lower than the OP? Just curious.
I took 2 science classes in UG but I retook them so my sGPA was high. During my postbacc, I took Gen Chem I & II over the summer, Orgo I, Physics I, and Bio I and their labs in the fall, Orgo II, Physics II, Bio II and labs in the spring, and then I took the DAT in June. Sent out my application early July. I continued taking classes the next fall, I took cell bio, A&P I, college writing, and biochem and then that spring I took A&P II, immuno, and precalc.

Reactions: 3 users
I took 2 science classes in UG but I retook them so my sGPA was high. During my postbacc, I took Gen Chem I & II over the summer, Orgo I, Physics I, and Bio I and their labs in the fall, Orgo II, Physics II, Bio II and labs in the spring, and then I took the DAT in June. Sent out my application early July. I continued taking classes the next fall, I took cell bio, A&P I, college writing, and biochem and then that spring I took A&P II, immuno, and precalc.

Dedication. Very nice.

Reactions: 1 users
My post bacc was informal but there was a premed committee that provided a committee letter. If I were you I would just stay in school and just retake classes you did poor in and take upper level sciences until you bring everything up. With that GPA you won't get into a formal post bacc or masters program. This advice is obviously if you want to do something in the health sciences.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey OP, a couple things. As some of the people at the end of the first page said, you can get your GPA up with a year or two of post-bacc. But you should take @Bifenthrin 's advice seriously too. Take a breather from education for a few years and get a real job somewhere (ex: work in retail somewhere) for a year or two to help you appreciate a rewarding career more. I've talked to a few people in my class that didn't start dental school right away, and had intermediate jobs and they learned a few things:

- How to deal with people
- What they did NOT want to do with their lives
- Appreciation for a rewarding career like dentistry
- Separation from parents/being on their own helped them gain a better grasp on money/how to be fiscally wise

These things give them a much more passionate approach to their education that I lack. Why? I'm a 23 year old D1 that hasn't ever had a real job, and just has lived off my parents. Now, though I'm getting through school, it can sometimes just drag, and I don't have much direction, lacking maturity that I should have learned earlier in life. I really do regret not being more productive in my earlier years. It's something I'm going to learn eventually, but seems like I missed out big time. I'll never know what I missed, unfortunately. Think about it before you launch straight into a post-bacc; I think it would give you a chance to really grow as a person.

Regardless of your decision on how best to progress, best of luck.

Already did a few months ago, they told me how I was a disappointment to the family name and tried to convince me out of being a dentist. Said things like "they only make 150k at best, you want THAT kind of job?".

I mean what I say, I have everything resolved with my parents, they've learned to accept my decisions. They can no longer boss me around and tell me how to run my life, I grew a pair and worked all that out, my grades have been better for it.

Biggest issue on this thread was, I fear it might be far too late for me to actually get into dental school.

One more thing: well done on a step in the right direction. I know personally (I'm sure many others too) how horrible it can be to let others run your life [directly or indirectly]. Stepping away and finding out who you are and what's important to you is huge. Be your own man, my friend.

Hey OP, a couple things. As some of the people at the end of the first page said, you can get your GPA up with a year or two of post-bacc. But you should take @Bifenthrin 's advice seriously too. Take a breather from education for a few years and get a real job somewhere (ex: work in retail somewhere) for a year or two to help you appreciate a rewarding career more. I've talked to a few people in my class that didn't start dental school right away, and had intermediate jobs and they learned a few things:

- How to deal with people
- What they did NOT want to do with their lives
- Appreciation for a rewarding career like dentistry
- Separation from parents/being on their own helped them gain a better grasp on money/how to be fiscally wise

These things give them a much more passionate approach to their education that I lack. Why? I'm a 23 year old D1 that hasn't ever had a real job, and just has lived off my parents. Now, though I'm getting through school, it can sometimes just drag, and I don't have much direction, lacking maturity that I should have learned earlier in life. I really do regret not being more productive in my earlier years. It's something I'm going to learn eventually, but seems like I missed out big time. I'll never know what I missed, unfortunately. Think about it before you launch straight into a post-bacc; I think it would give you a chance to really grow as a person.

Regardless of your decision on how best to progress, best of luck.

start early finish early yo, srsly, my opinion, if you have the determination go straight in education and get what you want.

what is the point of having a real job when you Deal with the stress and the troubles when you are only there for 2 years (meaning you will not be motivated to advance and learn more). Other people join work force because they are clueless and have no direction. Here you say the otherwise lolzzz

congratz on ur army scholarship

how hard it is to get this type?

start early finish early yo, srsly, my opinion, if you have the determination go straight in education and get what you want.

what is the point of having a real job when you Deal with the stress and the troubles when you are only there for 2 years (meaning you will not be motivated to advance and learn more). Other people join work force because they are clueless and have no direction. Here you say the otherwise lolzzz

congratz on ur army scholarship

how hard it is to get this type?

Haha, I suppose it's all a matter of perspective. OP is looking for advice, so I shared my personal thoughts. As I said, I think I missed out on some important life experiences that would have helped me gain maturity - I never even had a job in high school, undergrad, nothing.

Some people might look at a job as a directionless transition state, and to some degree, they're probably right. The point is, that in taking that job, you learn a lot about yourself and other people (consumers).

The scholarship takes some work to get, but is definitely not impossible. I don't want to derail the OP's thread, so send me a PM if you have any specific questions.

The link in my signature might also be helpful to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably looking at 3 years of retakes and upper division science/math classes with straight A's or close. Couple that with a solid DAT which can be beat with persistence and dental schools will overlook that rocky start. Some people might call you crazy for going through undergrad again for another 3 years but it will pay off in the end. After all, what kind of career offers you an opportunity to own your own business, a unique skill set with your hands, and the opportunity to give your customers a bright :)? It looks like a significant number of students are entering dental school at 30 years of age or older these days, so don't feel bad about not being the traditional 22/23 year old straight out of college in d-school.

I'm quite annoyed at the "I've seen people get in with a 2.something GPA so I think there's a chance" mentality. Yes, it's true, it happens but the things that these people did to get accepted is above and beyond that most of us are not willing to do! Most of these people had families they were taking care of, financial problems, relatives dropping dead left and right then had the strength to get 4.0 GPA's for semesters on forth into Post-bac or Masters programs. It's just not that easy and let's be real, you only have SO MUCH room to even talk about your accomplishments on your dental school application, never mind hearing about excuses...

So, in essence, from this point forth, put your money where your mouth is. At this point, you're going to have to be chugging coffee while giving your dad the finger in order to get done what needs to be done! The hole you dug is deep and steep. You're going to have to do some magic tricks to get out. That's what you're going to have to explain in your Dental School application. God Speed! :=|:-):

Most of my years college have been riddled with:

1. Overbearing immigrant parents who decided what major I will be in college and made my decisions for me when college started, I was a wimp for not standing up to them but I eventually did. Parental pressure and since they paid for my education I felt this need to please them. Probably the biggest setback but the one I have handled towards the end of college almost completely. After years of fighting I have this resolved and worked out to where it is a non-factor but man did it leave a beatdown on my transcript, I am beating myself up right now for not doing something about it sooner. Thought they knew what they were doing, I was dead wrong.

2. Lots of depression due to the above, mind was not focused on academics.

3. Transferring to a new and tougher school where the C's I was getting at my old and easier university (close to home) turned into D's in upper level science classes. Took one upper level science class, got a D in it, took it again, and got a D in it (it was cell biology). Happier here now and doing better because I am away from home. Basically at my older university I had around a 3.0 GPA or so but at my new university I will be finishing with a 2.3 GPA.

I have read stories of guys making it in with GPAs that were low like 3.1 low but not as low as mines. Only a year ago did I develop an interest in dentistry but the problem is that my parents wanted to push me to go to med school because it is "more prestigious".

I've finally got my mind together, grades are picking up, and I feel better mentally now. Finally after years of college I have found out what made my grades so low and am confident that I can do better now but I wonder if this mess can even be fixed.

I just feel like if it was a 2.7 or 2.8 there would be hope but a 2.3 from my current university college, it's like I feel hopeless....

Give yourself a chance! Do well or above average on the DAT and see what happens. Also possibly do research on the schools that accept students with low gpa and high DAT. Write about your parents in your essay as a good time consuming responsibility that came before your education because you are a family person, rather than negatively. And explain how you tried to balance your education with family but you realize now it didn't work as well as planned. Do not demonstrate any negative skills, responsibility, and make it look like you work hard and do well on the DAT. You probably have to go to grad school too. I'm in the exactly same boat! I plan on going to grad school and retake my DAT and applying for dental school at the same time I am in grad school. It's crazy but if it is a passion you just keep trying. I have been a EFDA (expanded function dental assistant certification) and have my B.S. (biology/pre-dental). And I love working in the office and the patients so I am still trying. If I ace the DAT I am in. So I am studying for a year now for the DAT......Hope this helps

I agree life experience does shape you into being a more responsible and motivated individual. But you shouldn't be doing dentistry or medicine if you are not already motivated, you will get weeded/burnt out. One thing to consider about going straight into either school is debt, it is a real thing and it will prevent you from enjoying your life to the fullest while it is still there. The sooner you start, the younger you will be to enjoy the rest of your life without it hanging over your shoulders. You do not want to have school debt, mortgage, and practice loans all taking a chunk of your income every month. That is becoming a slave to debt.

Honestly, if I were in your position OP, I'd hold off on the idea of doing a formal post-bacc and take a full year at community college. Post-baccs geared toward the health professions are highly intensive in upper division sciences, and given your trend thus far, it's very unlikely that you've developed the study habits necessary to ace those classes at a university level. Redoing pre-reqs such as General Chem, Physics, Ochem, and Bio at a community college not only gives you a better chance at securing a 4.0, it'll be a slow introduction to how to develop proper studying skills. Not to mention it'll save you a ton of $$$.

Now, in regards to your situation, I'm with ZedsDed on this one. While it was no doubt a difficult time for you, you will get very little empathy from any adcom member. As awful as your situation is to you, don't forget that Adcoms have likely read stories about individuals that had to fund their own college while supporting their families with multiple jobs. While it might not be "fair" to compare their stories to yours, an adcom member will likely look at your situation and react like many of the comments you've gotten in this thread such as "You had your parents pay for you and you're complaining?"

Tl;dr - Go to community college - get 4.0, do post-bacc after.

Consider that some professional schools do not take prereq credits from community colleges. Also, community college does not equal easy always. I took my prereqs at a nearby state college and commuted from home. Explore all your options, cheaper the better.

Before you do anything, how much shadowing do you have and what about clinical volunteering, research projects, or any other documented activities of that nature?

As you've learned, taking anything from anyone always comes with terms and a price. Your parents paid for your classes so you felt an obligation to them as reinforced by people on this forum saying that you should feel so lucky. Based on my own life experience as a hybrid-gen (1 and 4), this might be a temporary detente before it comes back. Consider physically being somewhere else, not accepting their monetary assistance, and screening your phone calls/strategically scheduling interactions with them for your mental well-being.

Lastly, from here forward, live a life you don't need to make excuses for. Let your upbringing and past serve as a reference point people can use to gauge how far you have come since standing up for yourself.

Last edited:
Before you do anything, how much shadowing do you have and what about clinical volunteering, research projects, or any other documented activities of that nature?

As you've learned, taking anything from anyone always comes with terms and a price. Your parents paid for your classes so you felt an obligation to them as reinforced by people on this forum saying that you should feel so lucky. Based on my own life experience as a hybrid-gen (1 and 4), this might be a temporary detente before it comes back. Consider physically being somewhere else, not accepting their monetary assistance, and screening your phone calls/strategically scheduling interactions with them for your mental well-being.

Lastly, from here forward, live a life you don't need to make excuses for. Let your upbringing and past serve as a reference point people can use to gauge how far you have come since standing up for yourself.

no, it does not ever come back for people who set their mind. Who will not listen to parents when you enter college without all the experience and directions? let alone say you grow up looking up to them and admiring them for what they have done to you.

nothing is wrong with listening to parents and adult, however, these parents and adults are usually misguided and become dictators

Who will not listen to parents when you enter college without all the experience and directions?

I never said to not listen to parents. I'm advising strategically managed amounts of contact.

OP, if you haven't done this already, I recommend presenting explicitly listed boundaries with acceptable alternatives and then consistently enforcing them. The boundaries help people to know what is expected conduct while acknowledging that people may have behavioral relapses so you don't have to cut them out of your life because you still love them. Change is gradual and behavior is more like a beach. There are tides and we all strategically ask people for things or otherwise make contact when they think they're in a good mood. I mostly get the respect I want at this point because I have been steadfast in my pursuit of higher education and proven myself a good parent in their eyes and while doing things my way. Getting there meant taking actions they didn't necessarily like at the time. But there are still times one or both of my parents lose their temper and I walk out because I can. This is to avoid unnecessary fighting and grudges that harm the long term trajectory of your relationship.

As for not listening to parents and assumptions of admiration, you can admire someone but also be aware of that person's shortcomings. That's part of having a healthy relationship. Blindly following someone is more obedience than actively listening and taking an opinion into consideration. OP's situation sounds more like expected obedience reminiscent of that filial piety biz. I don't apply everything my parents have to say on parenting or school and that has worked out incredibly well for me and I suspect most people with their parents.

To the responders who talk about taking responsibility for yourself, OP has by standing up for himself. Maybe for some people it's easy to stand up to their parents, but that's not the case for everyone. Give him the chance to prove what he can do given the freedom from his previous burdens. I was in his grade and familial situation myself and I'm matriculating with a bit over a 3.0 s/oGPA, recovered after 120 credits at a 3.64 in 3 years. I don't consider myself particularly intelligent or socially adroit. I sought out mentorship, got enough food and sleep, wasn't being hit or yelled at and wouldn't you know, my grades improved dramatically. As some posters on appear to be suggesting, a shoeless man need only lift himself up by the bootstraps of his non-existent shoes. Find some shoes OP, and may they carry you to dental school or whatever you want to do.