About to get my BA in Linguistics, hoping for some advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Manatee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I'm new to this forum, so if I'm doing something wrong, please let me know.

I'm about to graduate with my BA in linguistics. I'm looking to go into either SLP or audiology. Regrettably, I've already amassed about 30k in student loan/credit card debt.

My plan: graduate and move back in with my mom for a while, get a job (any job) and work on paying down that undergrad debt. In my spare time, I will be taking postbacc classes in communicative disorders online from Utah State. Apply to enter either SLP or Aud grad school for Fall 2014. I'm going to have around a 3.5 GPA when I graduate, will aim for 4.0 GPA during post-bacc.

Some questions:

1) Can you guys think of anything I could be doing to save money/make it easier to enter grad school/prepare?

2) I am really unsure of how to choose between SLP and audiology. Some pros for SLP seem to be 2 year program instead of 4, incorporates more linguistics. Some pros for audiology seem to be more job openings/clinical fellowships open, grad programs more likely to give funding. Is this accurate?

I wish I could say that money isn't a factor, but at this point, I really need to know which path is a better bet financially. What do you guys think?

3) I live in California. Can you recommend some affordable graduate programs? The only AudD program around seems to be the UCSD/SDSU program, which I hear is expensive. I guess another pro for SLP is that there are more programs near me.

I appreciate any help. I'm quite lost right now.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't really respond to all your questions, but as far as choosing AuD vs. SLP, you should make a point of shadowing some SLPs and audiologists to see if you can get a feel for what each profession might entail. It's really different to get an in-person experience vs. just reading and taking classes.

As far as AuD schools, there are quite a few in surrounding states - 3 or so in AZ, 1 in OR, 1 in WA, etc. Check out ASHA's EdFind program: http://www.asha.org/edfind/

I've heard some negative things about SDSU/UCSD such as a high drop out rate. I was told that the two schools have a hard time presenting a united front, and it's a culture shock without much continuity to switch back and forth between the schools (1st year at state, 2nd at UC, 3rd back at state [or vice versa, i don't remember]). There were several reasons I avoided that school, even though I'm from CA...

Hey, I got my BA in linguistics as well! I also took post-bac classes while deciding between SLP and audiology.

As far as choosing between the two, I started leaning toward audiology during my first intro to audiology class during post-bac, and then really solidified it when I was able to shadow both SLPs and audiologists.

Shadowing and gaining observation experience will also help with your applications later and help prepare you for grad school.

It is true that studying SLP will cost less and get you out of school faster, but I highly recommend taking the time to look into both professions to decide where you will be happiest in the long term.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to you both for responding.

I will do some shadowing while I am working on my postbacc stuff, thanks for that suggestion. I get the feeling that I wouldn't like hawking hearing aids all day, but I might be selling audiology a bit short.

Would you guys say that there are more solid job opportunities out there for recently graduated SLPs or Audiologists?

Thanks

Both fields have a good outlook for jobs. It really is just going to depend on which you feel is a better career for you.

I definitely agree with the advice on shadowing! I wish I had done more shadowing prior to getting my SLP degree. You want to choose the career that is best suited to your personality, way of thinking, etc. I know the finances are a big consideration right now, but they end up working out. Don't let a few extra years of grad school now scare you away from making the best career choice for you. (Whether that be SLP or AuD)

SLP and audiology have a lot of similarities, but each really appeals to different type of "thinker," in my opinion. I made the decision to go to grad school for SLP based on some reasons similar to the OPs thoughts. SLP was 2 years instead of 4, it seemed to have more job opportunities, etc.

I've been an SLP for almost 4 years now, and I'm going back to school to get my AuD. SLP just isn't the right fit for me; it's an awesome career, but just not for me. I can't yet speak for the audiology job field, but I can tell you that: I did get funding for my SLP masters (and am not for my AuD), I had a ton of clinical rotations and fellowship placements to choose from, I NEVER had trouble finding a job as an SLP, I've been able to switch jobs settings a lot (schools, hospitals, rehab, home health, etc), and all of my classmates are super happy with their SLP jobs and think I'm nuts for going back for an AuD :)

Both SLP and audiology are great careers that will make decent money and have decent job opportunities. Figure out which one will make you excited to go to work most days, and the other factors will work themselves out.