ABPMR: The fleecing of Physiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lobelsteve

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MOC must change. Look at ABIM and the ABA. Substantial improvements from both groups. The time is now to scrap the computer based testing and the worthless PIPs. WWW.NBPAS.ORG offers a viable and fully functional alternative if the ABPMR doesn't get its wheels turning. Post your comments here whether in support or defense of the ABPMR. I'm calling for change in 60 days or say we abandon this ship.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm only about to be board eligible in the next couple months but based on what I've read about MOC, I'm certainly going to look into NBPAS when the time comes unless there's some change in the near future!

I am glad this movement is gaining traction. There is lots of discussion on other specialty forums here on SDN and I think we will continue to see more physicians moving to NBPAS if ABMS doesn't get its act together.

Members don't see this ad :)
I already abandoned. When they changed the rules for the PIP, I said "enough is enough". I had already taken (and passed) the recert exam. I am no longer board certified, and thus far, nobody has cared.

I am certified by ABPMR for both PMR and Pain. I have done nothing for MOC yet other than pay the fees and do regular CME required for state licensure. I have already applied to NBPAS and am awaiting my certificate.

Whether I remain boarded by ABPMR will depend on how they respond and if my hospital system fully supports NBPAS (looks like they will by the way). Continue the current MOC extortion and I'm gone.

Reactions: 1 user
Can someone please educate me on the topic

One other thing. I was on a committee for AAPMR and during one of our dinner meetings we got to talking about this. Of the 8 people on the committee, three had let their certification lapse. And three had lifetime certifications.

And these were "leaders" in our organization (except for me of course)

I'll say I'm interested. I have dual certification in both general PMR and the new Brain injury medicine one. After taking the test for BI I don't really think it makes me necessarily a better physician in brain injury but oh well. It was very expensive but at least my employer paid for it.

What I am appalled at is the high costs, and the focus on things like practice improvement projects. I try to improve what I do every day. I find it irritating having to justify what I already do.

If a critical mass of hospitals and physicians gets on board I think this may succeed. Its going to take a couple brave hospitals to come out and say yes, this works for us and I think we'll see more.

I let my COO know today and he's going to at least read more about it.

Keep fighting the good fight guys.

giphy.gif

Agree wholeheartedly. I already decided to eschew ABPMR and will instead initially certify through AOBPMR (any DO can do this). They too have MOC (they call it OCC), but it is less onerous/egregious.

The MOC trend is awful, ill-conceived, greedy, and has no evidence to support that it does anything other than rob physicians of time and money to line the pockets of administrators and support the bloated, useless boards.

Every physician should consider NBPAS and lobby their organization to accept it.

We need senior physiatrists, academic physiatrists, and leaders in the field to step up to the plate and take a stand on this.

Currently NBPAS isn't accepting DO boards but hopefully will soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Share your certificate when you get it. I think the AAPMR could come out with a statement of support of its member physicians. And hopefully support MOC change.

Attachments

• S. M. Lobel-1.pdf
    525 KB · Views: 142
Yes. I am on definitely on board. As a new grad, I feel I have to certify through the ABPMR. I passed their $1400 written exam containing mostly out of date questions, irrelevant to my daily practice. Now another $1900 to prove I can speak english (I've got money to burn). MOC is a scam. I will be getting my NBPAS as well this year to support them. These bloated, ineffective, out of touch bureaucracies need to be reigned in. If there isn't meaningful change in the next 10 years I won't be recertifying through ABPMR. If these specialty board members want to make their kind of salaries, I suggest they get off our backs and care for patients like the rest of us.

Yes. I am on definitely on board. As a new grad, I feel I have to certify through the ABPMR. I passed their $1400 written exam containing mostly out of date questions, irrelevant to my daily practice. Now another $1900 to prove I can speak english (I've got money to burn). MOC is a scam. I will be getting my NBPAS as well this year to support them. These bloated, ineffective, out of touch bureaucracies need to be reigned in. If there isn't meaningful change in the next 10 years I won't be recertifying through ABPMR. If these specialty board members want to make their kind of salaries, I suggest they get off our backs and care for patients like the rest of us.
Keep in mind, the guy that runs the ABPMR board is not even a doctor, he's a lawyer, and he makes over 400k a year.

It was very expensive but at least my employer paid for it.

That's YOUR money. Where do you thing your employer got the money?

I am joning NBPAS. I'll post when I'm in.

My large multi-specialty group has a CME/Certification allotment too. I used to think "Sweet, they are hooking me up" until I realized this is my money that they are withholding. My payment is RVU based, so there's countless ways they can fleece me too, then package it up and hand it over as an incentive or benefit.

Anyway, if all goes as planned and my group recognizes the NBPAS, then I can blow that money on something actually useful, like CME in Hawaii.

We need senior physiatrists, academic physiatrists, and leaders in the field to step up to the plate and take a stand on this.

sadly if you are in academics (even privademics) as faculty/director of an ACGME approved residency/fellowship you are doomed to be a part of this ABMS MOC nonsense

Advocate for real accountability: Write or call the ABPMR and tell them that MOC is broken...

May 8, 2015

Dear AAPM&R Colleague:

The American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (AAPM&R) is committed to lifelong learning and performance improvement for physiatrists. This allows practitioners to remain current on evidence-based practices and new and emerging technologies to serve our patients with a high level of competence. The Academy’s support of the principles of certification is rooted in our commitment to medical professionalism and self-regulation. While well-intentioned, some components of the current Maintenance of Certification (MOC) process place significant burdens on physicians without having been shown to achieve the desired objectives.

The current format for MOC Part IV, aimed at practice improvement, does not achieve its intended goal and is hampered by components that are not easily met by many practitioners. Therefore, the Academy calls upon the American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (ABPMR) to immediately suspend the current MOC Part IV process. Looking forward, we are committed to working within the specialty to develop methodologies that will foster meaningful performance improvement with the least possible burden.

There is a core of knowledge that all physiatrists should be familiar with. Beyond that, and especially with more years in practice, we tend to narrow our clinical focus, even without obtaining subspecialty certification. Physiatrists practicing spinal cord injury medicine, pediatric rehabilitation, or musculoskeletal medicine call on vastly different stores of knowledge to practice competently. All, however, must be proficient in the acquisition of new knowledge.

We therefore also call on the ABPMR to reconsider the format of Part III of MOC to best cover the common core aspects of PM&R while reflecting individual practice patterns. One model would include a core knowledge base to be addressed by all physiatrists, followed by a modular format, eg choosing 2 of 5 content areas reflecting Academy Council practice areas. This, or a similar construct, would allow all physiatrists to retain primary certification, yet with a focus on one’s own practice content. We believe this change would allow physiatrists to see MOC Part III as more relevant than is the case now. Equally as important, this change could prevent the potential splintering of the specialty that might occur if physiatrists identify primarily with associations or boards outside of PM&R.

Further, the Academy asks the ABPMR to reformat MOC Part III to reflect the current practice of medicine, incorporating accepted adult-learning principles, eg collaborative decision-making.

Although the ABPMR and AAPM&R have different missions, their ultimate goals are similar: excellent physiatric care for our patients and a commitment to lifelong learning and practice improvement. The Academy believes that the above suggestions will improve the ABPMR’s MOC processes that aim to achieve those goals.

Sincerely,

AAPM&R Board of Governors

President
Kathleen R. Bell, MD

President-Elect
Gregory M. Worsowicz, MD, MBA

Vice President
Steve R. Geiringer, MD

Secretary
Darryl L. Kaelin, MD

Treasurer
David G. Welch, MD

Past President
Kurtis M. Hoppe, MD

Members-at-Large
Larry H. Chou, MD
Jonathan Finnoff, DO
Heikki Uustal, MD
Sam S. Wu, MD, MA, MPH, MBA

Strategic Coordinating Committee Chairs
Peter C. Esselman, MD; Quality, Practice, Policy, and Research
Michelle S. Gittler, MD; Medical Education
Stuart J. Glassman, MD; Public and Professional Awareness
Michael Saffir, MD; Membership

Executive Director
Thomas E. Stautzenbach, MA, MBA, CAE

Reactions: 5 users
Good work Steve!

I want to point out that this important call for reform from our Academy didn't happen by accident. It is the direct result of many conversations and advocacy work by physiatrists who value our professional autonomy. Unfortunately, ABPMR will not give up the addiction to easy money without a fight. After all, there are broader politics in play...and millions of dollars at stake. Our Academy's leadership on this issue, without a doubt, makes a powerful statement in support of physiatrists' professional integrity, commitment to life-long learning, and professional autonomy. But, more action is still needed.

Specifically, ABPMR must hear from *YOU*--the diplomats, residents, fellows, aspiring physiatrists--that MOC is broken. Easy money and misguided priorities have diluted the real purpose of MOC. Thus, *YOU* must call, write, email, and reach out to ABPMR and tell them in no uncertain terms that *YOU* want reform. *YOU* want a MOC process that reflects YOUR priorities and honors YOUR commitment to life-long learning and practice improvement. They also need to hear that *YOU* have other choices. That you are ready and willing to obtain your certification and MOC through the National Board of Physicians and Surgeons because NBPAS reflects *YOUR* values and priorities when it comes to MOC activities.

Bottom line: ABPMR's MOC is misguided, non-evidence based, and burdensome. It does nothing to improve *YOUR* practice of medicine. It does nothing to improve the care of *YOUR* patients. Stand-up for your professional integrity. Support your specialty's Academy. Take a stand and make a change to reform MOC and change the future of PM&R MOC forever.

https://nbpas.org/

https://nbpas.org/why-nbpas/

The American Board of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation

3015 Allegro Park Lane SW
Rochester MN 55902-4139

Phone: 507-282-1776
Fax: 507-282-9242
[email protected]

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I'm impressed with the letter. I would like to see it go a bit further but I'm impressed nevertheless.

I think Part 4 PIP should not be suspended, it should be abolished. Modularizing part 3 makes a lot of sense for PM&R. This is what the osteopathic board does.

I take it they are hinting at alternatives to multiple choice question testing of rote memory. I would like to see that fleshed out. The closed-book MCQ test is a relic of another age. And rather than just test knowledge, why not make MOC an opportunity to learn something (relevant, hopefully). This could be accomplished through "open-book" type exercises. This should be addressed for initial certification as well.

It's also time to get rid of oral boards, like other specialties have done before us (see: neurology). The fact that ABPMR thinks everyone should fly into Rochester, Minnesota for this relic exam that is in no way representative of the practice of PM&R only adds insult to injury. Compare to the osteopathic board, which while it also should get rid of orals, at least is offered a couple times a year in reasonable, even desirable, locations, and at least once a year in the same location as the written exam. But oral boards for PM&R in general... this is a no brainer - get rid of them. Save a few thousand bucks, a plane trip to Siberia, and several days away from your practice and family.

Residents are generally not comfortable speaking up/out. We have all heard of someone's career getting ruined by a bad apple attending or a board. It's not the type of group you want to piss off. And unfortunately, even if you ultimately want to join the NBPAS, you still need the initial certification to do so. So we are unable to vote with our feet/dollars.

We need to get rid of PIP and the computer based test center crap.
CME at 40hrs per year in relevant topics and home based testing every 3 months on topics of choosing by doctor consisting of 20-25 questions. Yearly payments of not more than $100. ABPMR officers and staff needs to be based on public declared stipend not exceeding $5k per year and volunteer time. I'd do it.

Reactions: 3 users
everyone agrees this is important. I'm not that articulate, nor informed on this.

let's lower the barrier to an actual email/letter getting to those that are in power.

is there a letter writing campaign (template with the big points) that I can sign and hit SEND ?

if not, maybe someone (SteveLobel?) can put something together =)

everyone agrees this is important. I'm not that articulate, nor informed on this.

let's lower the barrier to an actual email/letter getting to those that are in power.

is there a letter writing campaign (template with the big points) that I can sign and hit SEND ?

if not, maybe someone (SteveLobel?) can put something together =)

Heart in right place, but cannot accomplish as unable to be politically correct. Id fire the board in its entirety and ask for 3 volunteers from all AAPMR councils to take over. MOCA minute becomes 30 questions monthly online in chosen council. Pick 2 of 5.

With MOCA 2.0 taking off in Anesthesia Pain, we can go to the AAPMR and lobby the ABPMR to ditch the test in favor of home or office based testing with a question per week.

Update: join the AAPMR if you are not currently a member. They are diligently working on our behalf with the ABPMR to initiate the changes needed to be in line with those of ABIM & ABA.

This is the thread I was looking for! Any more updates on this?

ABPMR retreat this week. They will be talking about it.
If they do not eliminate Part 3 and replace with online at home version, we should all walk.
No more ABPMR, AAPMR, AAP. We can all join NBPAS.
Already a proud member.

Reactions: 3 users
They need to get rid of oral boards while they are at.

when will the previously announced changes show up? When I login to ABPM&R I still see the same timeline checkboxes for MOC and PIP.

Dr. Lobel...can you explain what the fees above mean. Are the 16 and 62 hours required CME hours for board certification? Or are they board prep that are required to pass the specialty boards?

Thanks

Dr. Lobel...can you explain what the fees above mean. Are the 16 and 62 hours required CME hours for board certification? Or are they board prep that are required to pass the specialty boards?

Thanks

I am billing the ABPMR for reimbursement for the time it took to study and pass my Part 3 MOC. As this is nothing more than a mafia type shakedown of docs and no proven benefit, as well as other Boards stepping up and dismantling their MOC programs, I feel extorted and want to do something about it. If you do not submit a demand letter, you cannot begin taking the next steps.

I urge everyone to do this. I will. Nothing changes until people FEEL a personal sense of urgency to change something. That means that Anthony Tarvestad and the ABPMR need to feel in their gut a "motivation" to change. They need to feel the same kind of pain that we certificate holders feel when we take time away from our practice and families to engage in pointless, expensive, redundant activities. Help them feel a sense of urgency and pain.

I am billing the ABPMR for reimbursement for the time it took to study and pass my Part 3 MOC. As this is nothing more than a mafia type shakedown of docs and no proven benefit, as well as other Boards stepping up and dismantling their MOC programs, I feel extorted and want to do something about it. If you do not submit a demand letter, you cannot begin taking the next steps.

let us know how that turns out

Absolutely hilarious. I'm dying to see how this plays out.

Any more progress on this? I'm in the middle of taking my MOC 3 recert and I'm seriously considering abandoning ship soon. I need my hospital to get on board with NBPAS. I don't have enough time for that before my board certification expires so I will make it a go next round. Have to go through the medical exec committee and change the bylaws. Anyone have any experience doing that?