ABPS in-training exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grifgin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so whats up with this test?
study for it or not?

heard its just a gauge for how you are going to do on the real thing?
The questions they have on their website are straightforward, but ofcourse the real thing will be different......

any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I usually just re-read PI manual... between that and your normal journal reading, residency academics, etc it's a good way to find out what you know (and where you're weak) before the real exam at the end of pgy3 year.

With more and more insurance plans and hospitals - and the pods, orthos, and other surgeons in charge of privileging - understanding our board cert, ABPS is something you certainly don't want to take lightly. GL

Does anyone know who sees your "in-service" score? Mine's is a little embarrassing...i obviously know where i stand...:(
I just want to make sure it stays private!
Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was in training, I believe it was only the residency director who sees the official in-training exam score, unless they decide to share it. We all used to share our scores with each other and give one another a hard time when someone scored better in a particular section. All good fun.

When I was in training, I believe it was only the residency director who sees the official in-training exam score, unless they decide to share it. We all used to share our scores with each other and give one another a hard time when someone scored better in a particular section. All good fun.
Ya, it's only the test taker and their residency director who gets the in-training scores. Beyond that, it's up to you who you choose to share with.

I've offered a little reward each year at my program to help motivate ppl to study and do their best. One of our pgy1s beat me this year by a half question, and I'm glad... he's a smart dude. It's a well written test and a good way to practice applying what you know before the stakes are high on the real qualifying exams late in your pgy3. If you didn't score well (at least ~500 aka a fair amount over the national avg), then you could be in reasonable jeopardy of not passing the ABPS qual, so that's probably a good clue to study a bit harder on journals and texts and stuff. The good thing is that now that the training exam is in Sept, that gives you ample time before the spring ABPS qual tests. :thumbup:

The last two years report (within wwwpodiatryrr reports section regarding the in training exam) says that the passing score was 408 for the ABPS qualification exam in 2005. Does anyone know any more current number for this? Is 500 still a good number to shoot for? I took the test today for the 3rd time (once per residency year) and noted that they recycle a lot of the same topics. I would imagine the actual exam is more "fresh."