Abroad Summer Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bipolarbear123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'll be applying in Oct for the first time, and this summer is when I'll be getting most of my veterinary experience hours (and by most, I mean like, all, although I have quite a few animal hours and research hours). I found this program abroad on the IAAAM website in Peru for a course on The Ecology and Conservation of Marine Mammals in Peru. Not only is my dad from Peru so I find this program exciting, but I plan on studying wildlife in vet school and hope to pursue a career in marine mammal vet med/research. I think that participating in this program might (hopefully) help me get internships with SeaDoc Society (I hope to be getting into Davis) and admittance to Aquavet. The program is 8 days: 2 days are lecture, and the rest is field work on data collection, training on how to do this, work at the research station, and a final presentation. We will be working with 2 PhDs and one MSc. Although these are technically "vet hours," I reallyyyy want to do this program because I feel that it is really relevant to what I want to do. However, I don't want my participation in the program to take away from the hours I obtain in the summer (seriously.. I'm lacking in hours). What do you think? Might boost my application, set me apart, set me up to be a stronger applicant for future internships, etc.? Or not really.. because it's not vet or med related? Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I also forgot to mention that the reserve we will be doing research at has colonies of 8-10,000 sea lions, 5-6,000 fur seals, 5-6,000 Humboldt penguins with cetacean sightings (sometimes) and Humpback whale sighting (very usual there, apparently). And I'm obsessed with penguins and Humpbacks... like obsessed..

So other than that being awesome, it's kind of animal-related (although I'm not sure exactly how the animals factor into the research or field studies we will be doing)?

Anything that makes you unique while keeping you in a positive light is a good thing! If you want to do, do it! What is your concern? You're getting vet hours on the trip, so its not even a give and take choice... It's 100% positive. So, what are you asking us for :)? You can probably knock out more hours in a day there than in a traditional setting, but you can ask that.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am jealous!! I have a Bachelors and Masters in Marine Bio...I am interested in becoming a Marine Animal Vet in the future as well!! Though I am just starting Vet school in August.

Oh I forgot to add....I did a lot of research in Marine Genetics....They really liked that on my application...Research and different types of animal experience looks great on applications.